Single Action Revolvers for IPSC???

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Single Action Revolvers for IPSC???

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 May 2021, 5:29 pm

Hi IPSC shooters,

I had the thought of using single action revolvers for IPSC, it could be a fun challenge, however, I would imagine it would be a very slow process, using a single revolver. I figured depending on how many rounds are needed for the course, several (up to 4) single action revolvers could be handy? Has anybody seen a single action revolver used in IPSC? Or multiple?

I figure cowboy action/SA shooting would already have the rules and so forth designed around the firearms capabilities, so why go to the effort of using them in IPSC?
Member-Deleted

Re: Single Action Revolvers for IPSC???

Post by gunnnie » 09 May 2021, 7:23 pm

Don't know about IPSC but my missus uses her two Blackhawk 4.75" SA's for Tyro. There's a 6-reload-6 in 20sec shoot in the course of fire.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 09 May 2021, 8:45 pm

Somebody was allowed to use a single action rimfire revolver at a steel challenge match at our club, they managed OK but it was a pain in the backside for everyone else who had to site around waiting for loading/unloading for each of the 5 series. The manual hammer cocking was so much slower than a semi-auto that they were really wasting their time and more significantly everyone else's.

I would guess IPSC would even worse for a single action as it could never can never compete with a semi-auto when the magazine changes are included in the times and having multiple holsters would almost certainly not be permitted.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 09 May 2021, 9:32 pm

rc42 wrote:Somebody was allowed to use a single action rimfire revolver at a steel challenge match at our club, they managed OK but it was a pain in the backside for everyone else who had to site around waiting for loading/unloading for each of the 5 series. The manual hammer cocking was so much slower than a semi-auto that they were really wasting their time and more significantly everyone else's.

I would guess IPSC would even worse for a single action as it could never can never compete with a semi-auto when the magazine changes are included in the times and having multiple holsters would almost certainly not be permitted.

I'll have to pull out the rule book but I believe IPSC rules forbid more than one firearm of the same type (i.e. only one handgun, one rifle, one shotgun) carried at any one time so multiple holsters would be a no no.

I asked casually about a single action .22LR for practice some time ago and was told the club couldn't sanction it because it did not fall under the "practical pistol" description. That's not to say they can't authorise a one-off participation by someone using a firearm they already own - they just can't offer club support for a firearm that doesn't comply with their rules.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Macross » 09 May 2021, 9:42 pm

Man I would hate to be in your squad at a match. :P
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 10 May 2021, 12:28 am

Gee let's ask V8 Supercars if they would let us run a Datsun 120Y there's already a match for single action Revolver and you answered your own question it's called cowboy action I say this in the nicest possible way .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 May 2021, 12:46 pm

deye243 wrote:Gee let's ask V8 Supercars if they would let us run a Datsun 120Y there's already a match for single action Revolver and you answered your own question it's called cowboy action I say this in the nicest possible way .

:lol: thanks mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 May 2021, 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 May 2021, 12:51 pm

Macross wrote:Man I would hate to be in your squad at a match. :P

So would I :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by deye243 » 10 May 2021, 2:37 pm

Your :welcome:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2021, 2:58 pm

rc42 wrote:Somebody was allowed to use a single action rimfire revolver at a steel challenge match at our club, they managed OK but it was a pain in the backside for everyone else who had to site around waiting for loading/unloading for each of the 5 series. The manual hammer cocking was so much slower than a semi-auto that they were really wasting their time and more significantly everyone else's.

It is not a waste of time if they're enjoying the experience.
Put them last in the detail if you feel your time is more valuable than other people's.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 May 2021, 2:59 pm

deye243 wrote:Gee let's ask V8 Supercars if they would let us run a Datsun 120Y there's already a match for single action Revolver and you answered your own question it's called cowboy action I say this in the nicest possible way .

Cowboy Action is boring as hell though compared to IPSC, I'd love to do some IPSC with a Single-Action Army!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 10 May 2021, 8:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:It is not a waste of time if they're enjoying the experience.
Put them last in the detail if you feel your time is more valuable than other people's.

It may not be a waste of their time but it makes everyone else sit around waiting and waiting with nothing going on.

The detail or order that they shoot in doesn't matter, everyone stays till the end to help put things away.

I think the rules have been updated to exclude single action revolvers now as the shoot captains were not happy about the situation either.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers