Ruger PC Charger for Steel Challenge matches

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger PC Charger for Steel Challenge matches

Post by DecaHex » 14 May 2021, 5:14 pm

Hi, Is the Ruger PC Charger permitted in Steel Challenge matches? I asked a club and they said the regular Charger in .22 was fine, so I was wondering if the version in 9mm would be okay to go also?
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Ruger PC Charger for Steel Challenge matches

Post by rc42 » 15 May 2021, 11:35 am

Looks like nobody here owns one and is able to answer this.

It will likely come down to the individual club, some won't issue PTA support letters for them so likely won't allow them in any matches either, have you asked the club directly about the 9mm version?

The style of it is very front heavy so metallic silhouette held in creedmore position is about the only thing it would be good for but nobody uses 9mm for that match if they have a choice, lets just say it wouldn't be competitive with pistols like the .357 Thompson Contender.

The 9mm PC Charger seems more like a 'hoon' type mag dump range toy for practice sessions, no doubt lots of fun but not a good choice for any type of competition.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 16 May 2021, 11:36 am

I own a PC Charger, it has a folding "brace" on it and i can tell you they're a long heavy pig of a pistol and you wouldn't bother shooting it without one, I don't shoot Steel Challenge but would assume that having a brace would be a "no no" so you'd never use one in comp unless you intend on coming last.
But if you want one then get one, i did and i knew it was going to be useless but still wanted one just because. And yes with a brace it is a bit of fun for s**ts & giggles but it's not a comp gun.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 16 May 2021, 11:39 am

JSS wrote:I own a PC Charger, it has a folding "brace" on it and i can tell you they're a long heavy pig of a pistol and you wouldn't bother shooting it without one, I don't shoot Steel Challenge but would assume that having a brace would be a "no no" so you'd never use one in comp unless you intend on coming last.
But if you want one then get one, i did and i knew it was going to be useless but still wanted one just because. And yes with a brace it is a bit of fun for s**ts & giggles but it's not a comp gun.

Why didnt you just get a 10/22 rifle?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2021, 12:19 pm

Larry wrote:
JSS wrote:I own a PC Charger, it has a folding "brace" on it and i can tell you they're a long heavy pig of a pistol and you wouldn't bother shooting it without one, I don't shoot Steel Challenge but would assume that having a brace would be a "no no" so you'd never use one in comp unless you intend on coming last.

Why didnt you just get a 10/22 rifle?

Possibly because the 10-22 is a CatC .22LR rifle, the PC charger is a CatH 9mm Para pistol.
https://ruger.com/products/pcCharger/models.html
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 16 May 2021, 6:34 pm

Larry wrote:Why didnt you just get a 10/22 rifle?

I don't really understand why you'd try to compare a 22cal rifle with a 9mm pistol? And as bladeracer said a 10-22 is cat C, but the reason i got the PC Charger is because i wanted one so that's what i bought. And the reasons i wanted it were 1. because i thought it'd be a bit of fun once kitted out (which it is) and 2. because they were controversial with all the fudds whinging about them so that just sealed the deal for me.
If you only had one or two handguns there's no way you'd choose one IMO, but if you've got a few then why not add a few fun toys here & there.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 17 May 2021, 8:45 pm

JSS wrote:
Larry wrote:Why didnt you just get a 10/22 rifle?

I don't really understand why you'd try to compare a 22cal rifle with a 9mm pistol? And as bladeracer said a 10-22 is cat C, but the reason i got the PC Charger is because i wanted one so that's what i bought. And the reasons i wanted it were 1. because i thought it'd be a bit of fun once kitted out (which it is) and 2. because they were controversial with all the fudds whinging about them so that just sealed the deal for me.
If you only had one or two handguns there's no way you'd choose one IMO, but if you've got a few then why not add a few fun toys here & there.

Stupid how everyone has to justify their purchases nowadays, the fact of simply wanting one should be reason enough lmao. God forbid we have fun in this country... :shock:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 17 May 2021, 8:56 pm

Ok I get it but in my defense they do make on in 22cal and it is basically a sawn off 10-22. when you see the pistol with a brace it makes me think more of a rifle. Anyway thats my first impression.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JSS » 18 May 2021, 8:30 am

Larry wrote:Ok I get it but in my defense they do make on in 22cal and it is basically a sawn off 10-22. when you see the pistol with a brace it makes me think more of a rifle. Anyway thats my first impression.

Yes they do, and yes they are, just the same way the PC9 is a pistol version of these, https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html which would be awesome fun but unfortunately being semi c/fire rifle they're cat D here in Oz.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by DecaHex » 18 May 2021, 2:55 pm

JSS wrote:
Larry wrote:Ok I get it but in my defense they do make on in 22cal and it is basically a sawn off 10-22. when you see the pistol with a brace it makes me think more of a rifle. Anyway thats my first impression.

Yes they do, and yes they are, just the same way the PC9 is a pistol version of these, https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html which would be awesome fun but unfortunately being semi c/fire rifle they're cat D here in Oz.

A straight pull/manually operated version of those would be great for Australia, cheap pistol cal ammo and with the traditional style, will most likely be allowed in every state (non-military appearance)
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers