PPL took just over a month (NSW)

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

PPL took just over a month (NSW)

Post by Woden » 28 Jun 2021, 3:01 pm

Applied 16 May. Licence issued 28 June. Pretty darn quick I would say...
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: PPL took just over a month (NSW)

Post by Woden » 28 Jun 2021, 3:02 pm

So guess what I'm getting for Christmas?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 28 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm

What has Santa picked out for you ?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 28 Jun 2021, 5:18 pm

Choose wisely. ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 28 Jun 2021, 9:43 pm

I applied 7 december 2020 for my full cat h and im still waiting. Ppl expired in january but i can still shoot. This is so far one month longer than my ppl took
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 29 Jun 2021, 12:14 pm

womble wrote:What has Santa picked out for you ?

A Volquartsen Black Mamba!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 29 Jun 2021, 12:15 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:I applied 7 december 2020 for my full cat h and im still waiting. Ppl expired in january but i can still shoot. This is so far one month longer than my ppl took

Seems like a hit or miss thing. Guess I was just lucky.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 09 Jul 2021, 8:03 pm

Woden wrote:
Devilcv8 wrote:I applied 7 december 2020 for my full cat h and im still waiting. Ppl expired in january but i can still shoot. This is so far one month longer than my ppl took

Seems like a hit or miss thing. Guess I was just lucky.

Turns out i missed an email in february. Sent the required info off today so hopefully not long now
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 16 Jul 2021, 2:02 pm

Actually, now I'm confused whether to stick with a .22 rimfire Black Mamba or just go straight to a 9mm CZ Shadow 2. I want to get into some of the comps. Thoughts?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 16 Jul 2021, 5:18 pm

This will depend on what pistol matches your club provides. A.22 can be used in sports pistol, standard pistol, rapid fire and 50m pistol, albeit, you will be competing with the like of the Pardini etc brigade, but I think with that pistol you can be competitive.
The 9mm, you would have the option of a centrefire match, action and service pistol, maybe a metallic silhouette match, or IPSC matches. I guess it depends on which matches you want to shoot etc.
Another thing to bear in mind is that in NSW sometime in the not too distant future, all pistol shooters will have to shoot the appropriate amount of matches for each category of firearm they have, ie, centrefire or rimfire or hi-cal, with the pistol they are using, its serial number and calibre, for said match, and this information sent to the appropriate authorities. So choose wisely, then build up from there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 17 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

Bugman wrote:Another thing to bear in mind is that in NSW sometime in the not too distant future, all pistol shooters will have to shoot the appropriate amount of matches for each category of firearm they have, ie, centrefire or rimfire or hi-cal, with the pistol they are using, its serial number and calibre, for said match, and this information sent to the appropriate authorities. So choose wisely, then build up from there.

Hi mate, saw this. Thats currently the case isn't it? You need to do 6 shoots for 1 category and then another two shoots for every category after that... at least from what I've read? Or is it say, 6 for centre and another 6 for hi-cal?

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Bugman » 18 Jul 2021, 1:33 pm

I have an air pistol and shoot 6 matches per year, a .22 and I shoot 6 matches per year, and I have a .357 and I shoot 6 matches per year. With these I comply with my attendance requirements here in NSW. That is how I approach what is required. Obviously, I attend and shoot more then stated above, because that is my sport. I know of a few clubs that at the end of their financial year, the club secretaries are chasing those who have not complied with the regulations set out by FAR.
My point is this, if you just want to shoot the bare minimum to allow you to keep your licence and firearm(s), then so be it but imo that type of shooter appears not be in it for the sport. If you enjoy this sport, then shoot as many times as you can, because the more you shoot, the better you will probably get and hopefully will enjoy it more. :) Have a look at the FAR website, and the section "Participation Requirements for Club Members"
If you look at listed table, it says:
If you have one (say .22) then you must complete 6 shooting activities per compliance period and that at least 6 shoots must be competitive matches
If you have say 2 centrefires (maybe a .357 and a 9mm) the miniumum number of shooting activities for EACH pistol per Compliance Period is 4 and totalling
8 minimum shooting activities ( for argument sake; 4 matches using a 9mm and 4 using the .357) AND at least 6 of the total minimum shooting activities MUST
be competitive shooting matches.
Clear as mud aint it!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 18 Jul 2021, 7:43 pm

Bugman wrote:I know of a few clubs that at the end of their financial year, the club secretaries are chasing those who have not complied with the regulations set out by FAR.

Yep. That's my club on the NSW Central Coast too. I can't believe people get into pistols and fail to comply with the minimum requirements to keep their licence...and have to be reminded about it!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 18 Jul 2021, 7:45 pm

Bugman wrote:My point is this, if you just want to shoot the bare minimum to allow you to keep your licence and firearm(s), then so be it but imo that type of shooter appears not be in it for the sport. If you enjoy this sport, then shoot as many times as you can, because the more you shoot, the better you will probably get and hopefully will enjoy it more. :)

Exactly. I'm a newbie and retired so my mate and I go every Wednesday and every Sunday. The only thing that's stopped us is this Covid lockdown. When I get a 9mm I will also attend on Mondays when I can for practice and to test loads.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Devilcv8 » 18 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

Bugman wrote:If you have say 2 centrefires (maybe a .357 and a 9mm) the miniumum number of shooting activities for EACH pistol per Compliance Period is 4 and totalling
8 minimum shooting activities ( for argument sake; 4 matches using a 9mm and 4 using the .357) AND at least 6 of the total minimum shooting activities MUST
be competitive shooting matches.
Clear as mud aint it!

I read it as each category of firearm, not each pistol. There are 3 categories, air, rimfire and centrefire.
Have at least 1 of each and you need to do 4 of each, so a total of 12. 6 of which must be competitive matches.
Devilcv8
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 18 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm

Devilcv8 wrote:I read it as each category of firearm, not each pistol. There are 3 categories, air, rimfire and centrefire.
Have at least 1 of each and you need to do 4 of each, so a total of 12. 6 of which must be competitive matches.

Thats how I interpreted it also.

Bugman wrote:My point is this, if you just want to shoot the bare minimum to allow you to keep your licence and firearm(s), then so be it but imo that type of shooter appears not be in it for the sport. If you enjoy this sport, then shoot as many times as you can, because the more you shoot, the better you will probably get and hopefully will enjoy it more. :)

Main reason I'm keen on finding out the strict legality of it is that (like a lot of people) I'm a shift worker. The cyclical nature of my roster means that for several weekends in a row I work, and likewise with my mid-week. If I need to do 6 for each pistol I own it'll put a pretty strict cap on my ownership.

I do want to shoot as much as I can... but shifts will limit the amount of comps I can participate in.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Bugman » 19 Jul 2021, 9:31 am

Now I am starting to confuse myself.....not hard really, but I strongly suggest that those of you still unsure, have a chat with your club secretary to get some finality on your obligations. That's what I did.
The other bit of info I got from an "informant" at FAR was that they are seriously looking at having each competition shoot recorded with the firearm type and serial number on the score sheet. The apparent reason is that you can have a number of centrefires, rimfires etc and possibly only really using one or two for competition shoots.
In other words, if you have a few handguns of different calibres then use them all, regularly, so you don't draw attention to yourself. Don't leave them unused in your safe, because sooner or later you could lose them as you are not using as you originally declared you would in your PTA application.
At this point in time, this does not apply to collector licences, so I was informed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 19 Jul 2021, 10:47 am

Bugman wrote:The other bit of info I got from an "informant" at FAR was that they are seriously looking at having each competition shoot recorded with the firearm type and serial number on the score sheet. The apparent reason is that you can have a number of centrefires, rimfires etc and possibly only really using one or two for competition shoots..

Without drawing an offensive parallel its hard to put into words how little credibility I find in this. I udnerstand why they'd want to do it, but could they put that idea into practise?

The Registry is, as far as I know, one of the most poorly managed and least efficient government agencies I have ever encountered. This is coming from someone who works in a public sector agency and communicates regularly with many others.

The mere notion that they're looking at adding more data streams to an already seemingly overwhelmed and understaffed system just seems insane. It's like handing a cup of coffee to a drowning man.

Bugman wrote:At this point in time, this does not apply to collector licences, so I was informed.

Yeah, having collectors regularly use the pieces they have would be a bit of a problem when some have hundreds in their collection, some of which are mandated to be rendered inoperable (by various means and permenancy) and others are chambered in long-obsolete offerings... and of those which they can use they are only given certain club days at which to use them.

Sounds like a collectors license may be the go then for multiple calibres / Cat H firearms. :mrgreen:

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Bugman » 19 Jul 2021, 11:22 am

They would easily put it in practice because all the necessary data would be compiled by the club itself and emailed through to the registry. In other word, the club does all the work, Far just files the data for scrutiny. Don't shoot the messenger, people, this has been planned for some time. The onus will be for each club and each shooter of that club, to full fill said requirements. It will happen, maybe not now but in the not too distant future.
As you may be aware, when you go to a dealer and sell or purchase a firearm, all details are sent to FAR at the time, so they have an immediate update on what's going on. Apparently the same principle can apply to each clubs reporting of the relevant details etc.
As most pistol shooters I know have nothing to hide, then no real problem.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by the_sovereign_man » 21 Jul 2021, 11:18 pm

Woden wrote:Actually, now I'm confused whether to stick with a .22 rimfire Black Mamba or just go straight to a 9mm CZ Shadow 2. I want to get into some of the comps. Thoughts?

If you want to shoot IPSC, I highly recommend the Shadow 2. I have one and it's a great gun. Flat shooting, easy to work on, nice trigger, plenty of support/input from other shooters as they're popular. Ticks all the boxes in my opinion.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Woden » 22 Jul 2021, 11:41 am

Do you use factory ammo or reload your own?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 22 Jul 2021, 4:44 pm

I used to shoot a 9mm and from the start, I reloaded my own for two reasons: I had the reloading gear and two: I could control my loads to suit me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 22 Jul 2021, 8:25 pm

Bugman wrote:I used to shoot a 9mm and from the start, I reloaded my own for two reasons: I had the reloading gear and two: I could control my loads to suit me.

So what loads work for you in terms of competitive shooting (club competitions, etc)? Powder, primer, projectile?
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 23 Jul 2021, 10:47 am

I don't have any data, mainly because I have not shot 9mm for well over 10 years. BUT you can do what I did and ask other members of my club what they were running through their 9mm and go from there. Sorry I can't be of further help.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 23 Jul 2021, 1:43 pm

Hi mate, I've had reports from a mate whos started his Cat H that 3.4gn of Ap50N behind a 120gn round nose in coated hard-cast lead works just fine.

As always, it'll vary with what you do.

FWIW, you can reload a 9mm for under 10c a round if you cast your own projectiles.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Woden » 23 Jul 2021, 4:48 pm

Bugman wrote:I don't have any data, mainly because I have not shot 9mm for well over 10 years. BUT you can do what I did and ask other members of my club what they were running through their 9mm and go from there. Sorry I can't be of further help.

I'd love to be able to get to my club. We're locked down here on the Central Coast so this forum is my go to for information at the moment.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 23 Jul 2021, 4:49 pm

boingk wrote:Hi mate, I've had reports from a mate whos started his Cat H that 3.4gn of Ap50N behind a 120gn round nose in coated hard-cast lead works just fine.

- boingk

Thanks boingk. That's the kind of info I can start with...
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 23 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm

Woden wrote:
boingk wrote:Hi mate, I've had reports from a mate whos started his Cat H that 3.4gn of Ap50N behind a 120gn round nose in coated hard-cast lead works just fine.

- boingk

Thanks boingk. That's the kind of info I can start with...

No worries mate. If you need a lead on projectiles or reloading info I'm happy to help. Blackwidow Projectiles do great stuff and have amazing customer service, I'd recommend them if youre looking at coated hard-cast projectiles.

You can find any load info you need from here: http://www.adi-powders.com.au/pistol/9mm-luger/

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Woden » 03 Sep 2021, 4:00 pm

So since the 28 June when I got my PPL I haven't been to the range. If this lockdown continues anyone know how this will affect my PPL? Super keen to get my first PTA but unsure of legalities if I can't attend the range for sign off by Club Secretary.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers