Springfield Armory Hi Power

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Springfield Armory Hi Power

Post by Gun-nut » 27 Oct 2021, 10:14 pm

Anyone interested on getting the new Springfield Hi powers when they become available down here? The Hi power has always been a favourite of mine and I'm glad it's making a comeback. Will be interesting to see how they stack up to the old FNs.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Springfield Armory Hi Power

Post by wanneroo » 28 Oct 2021, 12:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrGy6T2AzY

It looks pretty damn good to me. I think it's going to be my Christmas present, that is if I can find one. Looks like a solid gun, made in the USA, a few little upgrades but the vast majority of the parts interchange with old Hi Powers. And it looks good and is a reasonable price, will probably be low 600s here in the gun stores.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chinballs » 28 Oct 2021, 2:50 pm

Depends on price. $700USD RRP will probably work out to be closer to $2000 by the time you pay the Australia tax combined with the low demand. FN discontinued the Hi-Power for a reason and it wasn't cause they couldn't keep up with demand.

Nice to see Springfield not just rebadging some other brand and making the gun in the US though.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Oct 2021, 3:24 pm

Chinballs wrote:Depends on price. $700USD RRP will probably work out to be closer to $2000 by the time you pay the Australia tax combined with the low demand. FN discontinued the Hi-Power for a reason and it wasn't cause they couldn't keep up with demand.

Nice to see Springfield not just rebadging some other brand and making the gun in the US though.

Bringing it to Aus drives the price up because the market is so limited, how many would sell in the first six months?

Even with a weak dollar our firearm prices are pretty damned good in my opinion.

CZ75 SP01 Combat is around US$920+tax from what I can find. Cleaver does it for A$1569 including tax.
Glock 17A is RRP US$499+tax with two (10rd or 17rd) mags. Cleaver does it for A$915 with the extended threaded muzzle and two mags.
Ruger 57 MSRP is US$849+tax, here it's A$1285 - that's virtually the exchange rate (USD900 is AUD1200) :-)
The FN Five-Seven is MSRP US$1199+, but here is A$2395 for the Tactical model (couldn't find a price for the base model here). But how many of these would sell in Oz?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 29 Oct 2021, 12:24 am

Chinballs wrote:Depends on price. $700USD RRP will probably work out to be closer to $2000 by the time you pay the Australia tax combined with the low demand. FN discontinued the Hi-Power for a reason and it wasn't cause they couldn't keep up with demand.

I had heard the tooling for the pistol was shot and that's why FN discontinued it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by johnboy357 » 29 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

"[q
uote]
CZ75 SP01 Combat is around US$920+tax from what I can find. Cleaver does it for A$1569 including tax.
Glock 17A is RRP US$499+tax with two (10rd or 17rd) mags. Cleaver does it for A$915 with the extended threaded muzzle and two mags.
Ruger 57 MSRP is US$849+tax, here it's A$1285 - that's virtually the exchange rate (USD900 is AUD1200) :-)
The FN Five-Seven is MSRP US$1199+, but here is A$2395 for the Tactical model (couldn't find a price for the base model here). But how many of these would sell in Oz?[/quote]

Cleavers prices might sound good but a lot of their stuff is considered to be "grey" imports and the Australian agents will not provide warranty.
Last edited by johnboy357 on 29 Oct 2021, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 29 Oct 2021, 3:09 pm

I checked cleavers, and they claim to be bringing them in next year for around 1300. Pretty good if you ask me. The price both here and in the states is quite good considering the manufacturing changes they've made to the firearm (forged vs cast components etc.).
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm

johnboy357 wrote:"[q
uote]
The FN Five-Seven is MSRP US$1199+, but here is A$2395 for the Tactical model (couldn't find a price for the base model here). But how many of these would sell in Oz?

Cleavers prices might sound good but a lot of their stuff is considered to be "grey" imports and the Australian agents will not provide warranty.[/quote]

Their prices don't just sound good, they are good. How bad does the product have to be that the official importer has to add 30% to the price to cover the cost of warantee repairs?

Just wait and see if people have any problems with them before you buy one, regardless of warranty. If you have a problem, send it back to Cleaver to sort. Under Australian law the seller has to warantee their products regardless of whether it came through official channels, Cleaver's problem, not yours.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 30 Oct 2021, 12:38 am

My understanding is these are already hitting the gun shops here, so if there are problems I'm sure they'll become apparent quickly.

I'm less concerned because it's an 85 year old design and people have already swapped parts between this and older hi powers with no issues on either end.

I'll probably start shopping around for mine in December. I'll report back and at some point do a review for the Youtube.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gun-nut » 30 Oct 2021, 5:19 pm

wanneroo wrote:My understanding is these are already hitting the gun shops here, so if there are problems I'm sure they'll become apparent quickly.

I'm less concerned because it's an 85 year old design and people have already swapped parts between this and older hi powers with no issues on either end.

I'll probably start shopping around for mine in December. I'll report back and at some point do a review for the Youtube.

Looking forward to hearing your findings, let us know how you go!
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 04 Jan 2022, 10:11 am

I emailed NIOA a while ago about the prospect of bringing the SA-35 into Australia, and they said that it's possible if Springfield Armory can provide ones with compliant barrels and 10 round magazines.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 04 Jan 2022, 11:07 am

Only sport licence holders have the barrel length and magazine restrictions. Every other licence holder does not so the pistol can sell as is. That being said sport licenses probably make up over 95% of all pistol licenses.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by geoff » 04 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Only sport licence holders have the barrel length and magazine restrictions. Every other licence holder does not so the pistol can sell as is. That being said sport licenses probably make up over 95% of all pistol licenses.

I can't see an importer rushing to bring these into the country for collectors licencees LOL, pretty sure they will wait until the magazine and barrel restrictions are addressed.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 04 Jan 2022, 2:33 pm

geoff wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Only sport licence holders have the barrel length and magazine restrictions. Every other licence holder does not so the pistol can sell as is. That being said sport licenses probably make up over 95% of all pistol licenses.

I can't see an importer rushing to bring these into the country for collectors licencees LOL, pretty sure they will wait until the magazine and barrel restrictions are addressed.

Security guards, collectors, instructors, dealers, feral pest controllers, primary producers(some states), government agencies.

But yes you are correct. It is a bit like the glock17A. The A is the Australian model number making it legal for sports shooters in Australian states whilst the other licence holders can buy the normal Glock 17.

I don't understand any gun law but I really don't understand minimum barrel lengths. A revolver can have 100mm barrel but an auto loader must have 120mm? Does not make any sense.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2022, 3:13 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
geoff wrote:

Security guards, collectors, instructors, dealers, feral pest controllers, primary producers(some states), government agencies.

But yes you are correct. It is a bit like the glock17A. The A is the Australian model number making it legal for sports shooters in Australian states whilst the other licence holders can buy the normal Glock 17.

I don't understand any gun law but I really don't understand minimum barrel lengths. A revolver can have 100mm barrel but an auto loader must have 120mm? Does not make any sense.

Revolver barrels are not measured to the bolt face as most firearms are, I have no idea why though. 4" revolver will generally have a longer barrel than a 5" semi.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 Jan 2022, 1:38 am

These are all sold out here in the USA, can't get em from online dealers and can't get them local either at the dealers or where the dealer can order it with their distributors. I think demand was higher than Springfield expected.

The only complaint I have heard from reviewers is extractor springs breaking after 800 rounds, has happened to a few people. Other than that, all sounds good. I am sure Springfield is working to improve the extractor spring issue and maybe that's why it's hard to find one right now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by jwai86 » 07 Jan 2022, 10:18 am

wanneroo wrote:The only complaint I have heard from reviewers is extractor springs breaking after 800 rounds, has happened to a few people. Other than that, all sounds good. I am sure Springfield is working to improve the extractor spring issue and maybe that's why it's hard to find one right now.

Is using customers for bug testing a common practice for gun manufacturers?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2022, 11:01 am

jwai86 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The only complaint I have heard from reviewers is extractor springs breaking after 800 rounds, has happened to a few people. Other than that, all sounds good. I am sure Springfield is working to improve the extractor spring issue and maybe that's why it's hard to find one right now.

Common practice in most industries nowadays, look at the Lithgow LA102 for a recent local example.
It makes sound sense not to buy the first release of any product, let other people sort the bugs and buy a later release.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 07 Jan 2022, 11:40 am

jwai86 wrote:

Seems to be. I remember one year every gun I bought had to go back to the manufacturer or be fixed on my own.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Jan 2022, 11:44 am

When my brand new Marlin needed repairs I was told by the importer that It is cheaper to repair say 5% to 10% under warranty then to check 100% of firearms at the factory.

Every thing comes down to money.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 18 Mar 2022, 9:52 pm

I rang Cleaver Firearms yesterday to ask for the ETA of their incoming shipment of SA-35 pistols. The person I spoke to said they don't have one, but they are still taking deposits.
Last edited by jwai86 on 19 Mar 2022, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2022, 12:33 am

Have yet to see one on the shelf here in the USA in any of the gun stores I have been in.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by jwai86 » 20 Mar 2022, 5:47 pm

wanneroo wrote:Have yet to see one on the shelf here in the USA in any of the gun stores I have been in.

Is that from folks buying them up, or is Springfield Armory halting shipments while sorting out the bugs encountered in earlier guns?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 21 Mar 2022, 1:19 am

jwai86 wrote:
Is that from folks buying them up, or is Springfield Armory halting shipments while sorting out the bugs encountered in earlier guns?

Good question, don't know. The only problem I can recall is the extractor which is an easy fix.

Various gun dealers said demand exceeded expectations. I know these days some manufacturers make guns in batches so the first batch might have been gobbled up. I know at least one guy on a local gun forum I am on got one, so they have been out there. Personally I have not seen one yet and my local gun stores have not been able to get them in stock or order them from their distributor.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Marlin44 » 25 Mar 2022, 5:47 am

The major hurdle for this to imported to Oz is Springfield do not offer it with a 10 round mag.
If it arrives here with hi cap mag it will be seized - simple as that.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 25 Mar 2022, 10:58 am

Marlin44 wrote:The major hurdle for this to imported to Oz is Springfield do not offer it with a 10 round mag.

Mec Gar already makes a 10 round Browning Hi Power magazine so that is an easy fix. As I recall the mag that comes with the Springfield in the USA is Mec Gar made. Wouldn't be a problem to swap them out.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Marlin44 » 25 Mar 2022, 4:39 pm

wanneroo wrote:
Marlin44 wrote:The major hurdle for this to imported to Oz is Springfield do not offer it with a 10 round mag.

Mec Gar already makes a 10 round Browning Hi Power magazine so that is an easy fix. As I recall the mag that comes with the Springfield in the USA is Mec Gar made. Wouldn't be a problem to swap them out.

That's exactly how Cleaver is bringing them in. He has an agent in US that will swap out mags.
Springfield may offer it with a 10 round "Cali compliant" mag at some stage and the importer can order this SKU
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 26 Sep 2022, 2:53 pm

NIOA now has the SA35 listed on its website, so I emailed them last week to see if had any in the country. They replied that they have been ordered from Springfield Armory, but are not expected to arrive before 2023.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 26 Sep 2022, 11:50 pm

Still have yet to see one in the gun stores here in the USA. I think it's been out now for a year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers