Qld Category H License Different Class Requirements?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Qld Category H License Different Class Requirements?

Post by sjack18 » 04 Dec 2021, 5:18 pm

Hi All,
Just waiting for my License to be fully approved here in QLD and was trying start the process for getting a .44 Revolver. Went to my Pistol Club after i put a deposit down and they're telling I would need to get PCM added to my license and that it just makes it more annoying. Was only looking at the .44 cause the one I wanted was Out of Stock so not too much of an issue but I've looked online and now I'm thinking of moving my deposit to a .357 Revolver so it'll be a Class B instead of C. Just wondering if there was any other similiar issues that having a Class B gun would create before I go back into the Gun Shop?
sjack18
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Qld Category H License Different Class Requirements?

Post by Chinballs » 05 Dec 2021, 12:19 pm

Class B is perfectly fine on your standard Cat H license.

Getting Class C isn't hard, you just do a Form 4B Change of Conditions, attach a club letter and wait. It can be a bit of a hassle if you have to travel to a different club to shoot your high calibre firearms. Nobody would recommend .44Magnum for new shooters as you can only shoot very speciic matches with it, it's expensive to feed, it's loud and it has a big kick. Stick with a .357Magnum as you can shoot it in heaps more matches and run .38Special most of time. You'll shoot way more due to lower cost, less recoil, less noise and just a much nicer everyday shooting experience with .38Special.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sjack18 » 05 Dec 2021, 1:36 pm

Cheers man, I’ll go for the .357
sjack18
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 05 Dec 2021, 5:40 pm

For the first year of only one powder pistol a large caliber just wouldn't be able to be used at enough matches so the .357 is a better choice, I'd try and get an 8 shot revolver which would be good for steel challenge type matches too, the basic 6 shot runs out too fast when you have to hit 5 plates.

Semi-auto .357 like the Desert Eagle or Coonan are great range toys but accuracy is terrible and even the awesome like-for-like swap that we have in QLD won't get you much else. They may seem like fun choices but that first year is a long time.

9mm semi-auto is much more flexible in terms of matches and swapping to a different firearm and 22 semi-auto has the largest number of possible matches that you can attend but fun generally decreases with caliber.

Take time to think through that first pistol choice, you're going to be stuck with your decision for a long time.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Dec 2021, 7:39 pm

Your licence card won't say class A,B,C,D on it. Just the category H and your condition codes.

Condition code PCM(metallic silhouette) and PCS(single action) are the condition codes for class C for sports use. Buy the class B pistol and whilst you wait out the 12 months fill out a form 4B and get a club letter so you will get PCM and PCS on your licence so as soon as the wait is over you can buy C class.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers