Nice shop in Sydney for pistol?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Nice shop in Sydney for pistol?

Post by djmm » 01 Jan 2022, 10:15 am

Anyone knows which shop in Sydney that has good collection of pistols that we can have a look/feel before deciding? Cheers
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Nice shop in Sydney for pistol?

Post by rc42 » 01 Jan 2022, 10:52 am

Not sure how much it will help your decision, all pistols feel very similar to handle in the store but differences really appear when firing them.
For example, lightweight pistols feel great in the store but the snappy recoil isn't so good on the range and the store may not let you dry fire to check the triggers.

Much better to borrow pistols on the range and know what you'll be getting.

It would be interesting to see some recommended stores in the Sydney area though.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Jan 2022, 11:04 am

You could try Magnum Sports, Safari Arms or maybe Horsley Park Gun Shop. The thing is you need to know pretty much what type your after, caliber etc and what type of matches you wish to shoot. Most of the big stores apparently have some pistols in stock, and require you to have a full Cat H licence BUT experience over the years have shown that most pistols/revolvers have to be ordered in so to actually try the feel of one that you may be considering could well be limited. I take you belong to a pistol club and it is there that, maybe you should talk to other members and see what they are using etc.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by djmm » 01 Jan 2022, 6:50 pm

Yeah I think maybe best bet is to talk to the club armourer and see if they have some that we can try a bit
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by moopere » 02 Jan 2022, 2:31 pm

Yeah this is a fair ask but really difficult to enable in a meaningful way. Its pretty much buy then suck it and see.

My club has probably 3 dozen pistols available, might even be more than that. Of those though there is probably only a handful that you can still buy new in the same configuration. Manufacturers go out of business or they are bought by other manufacturers, or drop models from their line, etc.

I spent more than a year shooting club pistols before I applied for my first license and even then, I only had some broad thoughts on what pistol would be suitable.

I guess you can get some ideas on calibre, poly versus steel, hammer versus striker, etc. Through practice for example, I realized that a 44Mag revolver is just too much gun for me ... heh

I ended up gravitating towards a Walther PPQ M2 9mm and shot it a lot. I'm left handed, so ambi controls matter to me. A lot of modern pistols allow for this though so its not as big a deal as it was. Problem for me was going to be getting hold of a PPQ and then fitting a reflex sight (my eyes are crap). I know there was a 'combo' deal of PPQ + Shield RMS available for a while, but they were long gone by the time I was in a position to purchase, and getting a regular PPQ slide milled was going to be a bridge too far for a first pistol. So, I went with a PPQ Q5 match which has a factory milled slide and adaptor plates for common reflex footprints.

Same pistol right? No ... not really.

I'm enjoying shooting the Q5, to be sure, but on the range actually firing as opposed to just holding (or dry firing), its a different beast to the plain PPQ M2.

I'm actually quite interested in getting hold of a cap-n-ball or early cartridge style peacemaker or opentop mid-late 1800's style revolver ... but I doubt I'll ever get to even hold one, let alone fire one, before a purchase is made.
moopere
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by jwai86 » 03 Jan 2022, 12:09 pm

Magnum Sports, Safari Firearms and Horsley Park Gun Shop have already been mentioned, but if you don't mind travelling a bit, you could also try Abela's Gun Shop in Campbelltown, Razorback Outdoors in North Richmond, or Terrey Hills Gun Shop.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 03 Jan 2022, 6:31 pm

Razorback Outdoors in North Richmond, or Terry Hills Gun Shop .(Abela's Gun Shop and HPGS are the same shop)Magnum Sports, Safari Firearms ,
I have 1 from Hpgs bought 3 pistols from Safari and 1 from qld not sure of the shop at the mo St Mary range and Condell park sell pistols at the range . Gun shows are a good place to look but never bought a pistol from a show .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by linkoln » 03 Jan 2022, 8:27 pm

It's the curse of living in Australia that no one will ever have what you want so you need to pay up front in full before a shop will order it for you.
Do a lot of research, watch a lot of YouTube videos, listen to what Americans think of it because chances are they have had it for a long time before it came here.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Jan 2022, 10:50 pm

Bugman has the idea, talk to people in your Club and at the range and see if they will give you a couple of shots. Already knowing what you want is a bonus but be prepared to change once you try something, we had a new member keen on 1911's and once he tried one he felt confirmed but then I gave him my 6" 586 to try and now he has a 686. Still bought a 1911 in 45ACP once his 6 months was up, but continues the main comp with his S&W. good luck with your hunting, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers