FN announces new revised High Power

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

FN announces new revised High Power

Post by jwai86 » 20 Jan 2022, 9:15 pm

Not long ago, FN America announced that they will be resuming production of their High Power, but with several revisions to cater to modern preferences.

https://fnamerica.com/highpower/

I'm personally not sold on the new High Power. I think it looks a bit odd compared to the original, and will probably cost a heap compared to the clones developed by Springfield Armory, TISAS and Girsan after FN ceased production of the original model in 2018.
Last edited by jwai86 on 21 Jan 2022, 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: FN announces new revised High Power

Post by wanneroo » 21 Jan 2022, 2:02 am

Personally I want the Springfield. I think it is the closest to the original while providing a few modern updates everyone wants.

The FN is a reworking of the original pistol with a different barrel lockup and other parts. Plus the price is gonna be $1150-$1300 US$ compared to $670 US$ for the Springfield.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by geoff » 21 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm

Price aside, not being backwards compatible in a lot of areas means it's kinda not really a Hi Power is it, just an idea of one.

I was excited at the thought of FN making one again instead of Springfield but I think I have to agree that the Springfield is more appealing if they can fix some of the beta issues. The FDE version of the FN is trying too hard to look like their other pistols and not a Hi Power

Edit: if they were going to do the "not quite a high power" thing, they may as well have gone whole hog on it and made a version that was cut optics ready. Why limit yourself in the current market where every second buyer wants to put a red dot on anything
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by linkoln » 22 Jan 2022, 12:02 pm

I'm just hoping FN make their 502 with a barrel length long enough to bring to Australia. At the moment it is under 120mm and not club legal.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by wanneroo » 24 Jan 2022, 3:13 am

geoff wrote:Price aside, not being backwards compatible in a lot of areas means it's kinda not really a Hi Power is it, just an idea of one.

I was excited at the thought of FN making one again instead of Springfield but I think I have to agree that the Springfield is more appealing if they can fix some of the beta issues. The FDE version of the FN is trying too hard to look like their other pistols and not a Hi Power

Edit: if they were going to do the "not quite a high power" thing, they may as well have gone whole hog on it and made a version that was cut optics ready. Why limit yourself in the current market where every second buyer wants to put a red dot on anything

The only issue I can recall with the Springfield was broken extractors, which I am sure Springfield can fix or already has. The nice thing with the Springfield is it has proven to be very compatible with existing Hi Power parts so that is good. I guess with the FN the old magazines don't even work.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Florey55 » 24 Jan 2022, 7:17 am

Me want ! Me want now !! Especially the all silver one..

Video of the new HP = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloBxyk00vc
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 24 Jan 2022, 10:55 am

wanneroo wrote:Personally I want the Springfield. I think it is the closest to the original while providing a few modern updates everyone wants.

What do you think of the offerings by TISAS and Girsan?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by geoff » 24 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

wanneroo wrote:
geoff wrote:Price aside, not being backwards compatible in a lot of areas means it's kinda not really a Hi Power is it, just an idea of one.

The only issue I can recall with the Springfield was broken extractors, which I am sure Springfield can fix or already has. The nice thing with the Springfield is it has proven to be very compatible with existing Hi Power parts so that is good. I guess with the FN the old magazines don't even work.

I agree that I'm sure the extractor thing will get sorted in due course.

I'm sure the FN will be a refined bit of gear but the Springfield is backwards compatible, more true to the classic form and at a very palatable pricepoint. It's pretty easy to see who will be the winner in the Nouveaux High Power games
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2022, 1:40 pm

linkoln wrote:I'm just hoping FN make their 502 with a barrel length long enough to bring to Australia. At the moment it is under 120mm and not club legal.

Can you buy a longer aftermarket barrel?
It can be brought into Australia but won't be released to you until it has a longer barrel installed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 25 Jan 2022, 3:48 pm

The barrel does not need to be 120mm. It only needs to be 120mm to use for sporting purposes. Which to be honest is probably around 95% of pistols. Just like the glock 17 and glock 17A. Dealers, collectors, primary producers, instructors, pest controllers, security etc buy the glock 17 whilst sport shooters buy the 17A.The importer can bring it in and just extend the barrel for people with a sports licence.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 26 Jan 2022, 12:35 pm

jwai86 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Personally I want the Springfield. I think it is the closest to the original while providing a few modern updates everyone wants.

What do you think of the offerings by TISAS and Girsan?

From what I hear locally here in the USA, the people that own them are happy with them for the price($400). It looks like a good Hi Power copy but the finish seems a little cheap, which is understandable with the price.

We still have surplus Browning Hi Powers and clones coming into the country. Most seem to have come out of Israel. Most of them are well worn but priced between $400 to $600.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 26 Jan 2022, 12:37 pm

geoff wrote:
I agree that I'm sure the extractor thing will get sorted in due course.

I'm sure the FN will be a refined bit of gear but the Springfield is backwards compatible, more true to the classic form and at a very palatable pricepoint. It's pretty easy to see who will be the winner in the Nouveaux High Power games

Yes I think what Springfield did was release a Hi Power that had all the features everyone wanted, with a quality looking finish, backwards compatibility and a decent price.

I have been looking for one but have yet to see one in the gun stores I have been to. My closest local gun store says they can't get one and don't know when they will be able to.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by linkoln » 26 Jan 2022, 12:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
linkoln wrote:I'm just hoping FN make their 502 with a barrel length long enough to bring to Australia. At the moment it is under 120mm and not club legal.

Can you buy a longer aftermarket barrel?
It can be brought into Australia but won't be released to you until it has a longer barrel installed.

I don't know but I get the impression they go by the official documentation so if fn say the barrel is a certain length then that's how long it is.
I know that Smith and wesson had to make an Australian specific edition of their m&p in 22 with a longer barrel so that it could be used here.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers