Do you put silica gels in your gun safe?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Do you put silica gels in your gun safe?

Post by djmm » 28 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

As the title - just wondering if you guys put any silica gels in the safe, and how many? I wonder if putting too many can dry up the lubricants.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Do you put silica gels in your gun safe?

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 28 Jan 2022, 9:50 pm

I just use a bowl of rice. Then throw it out every couple of weeks. Works fine and I am in humid North QLD.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 28 Jan 2022, 10:44 pm

The gels only absorb moisture from the air, they don't absorb lubricants.
I have a rechargeable one with an electric heater built into it, I have to take it out every couple of weeks and plug it in the heat it up and force the moisture out of the gel, there's a surprisingly large amount that comes out.

The problem with moisture is actually salt, if part of the firearm doesn't have a lubricant coating but instead is dry with a tiny amount of salt on it just from being touched, the salt will absorb moisture from the air and create an electrolyte, corrosion will start and the water will be used up, then the process repeats. The greater the moisture content in the air the faster this process works.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 28 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm

Thanks all, I'll get some then
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2022, 1:06 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I just use a bowl of rice. Then throw it out every couple of weeks. Works fine and I am in humid North QLD.

Thank you very much because of the humid weather here in East Gippsland Victoria over the last two to three months and finding corrosion in Chambers Not bores cos I don't oil Chambers I was looking for a cheap alternative
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 29 Jan 2022, 4:13 am

I do. But check them regularly and replace them often. There’s tales of them doing more harm than good left unchecked.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jan 2022, 7:08 am

I do. I seem to find that they work well. My guns are always well oiled when they go back into the safe though. I buy these long bags of silica and you lay it down in a reusable plastic tray. The bag absorbs moisture through the top part but holds it in as the rest of the bag is plastic. They last a fair while, but the whole bag will eventually turn to water with no crystal left if you don’t keep an eye on it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 29 Jan 2022, 9:47 am

I had a large amount of Silica Gel bags given to me and I use those, and check and change regularly, but as said proper lubrication to each firearm prior to storage is very important.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 29 Jan 2022, 10:11 am

Dont use silica but all Walnut Blued rifles get Silicon gunsock protect.

Anything stainless and synthetic goes naked. All barrels and guns get a once every 6 months, easy to do all of them in around 10 mins. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers