Have CZ 75 pistols always been uncommon in Australia?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Have CZ 75 pistols always been uncommon in Australia?

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2022, 5:52 pm

jwai86 wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Florey55,
Actual year of manufacture is almost impossible to know for all early CZ75's. The best you can do is year of introduction for the variants, ie: Short Rail 1975 to 1980, Long Rail 1980 to 1993, CZ75 B 1993 to Present etc. As to performance, there is a reason CZ pistols were, and to a large extent still are, very popular in all forms of handgun competition is due to their capability and price point. A 75 B in good hands will match a SP-01 any day, but in even hands you would want the Shadow. My CZ52 out of the box would equal them all for accuracy but is nowhere near a competitive pistol anymore. Buy a 75 or the ambidextrous 85, and enjoy it. Perhaps if you want to hunt you may find one of the scarce Single Action only CZ75's, Cheers.

I was under the impression that you could find the year of manufacture by looking at the two digit number next to the ejection port.

On Brno rifles, and CZ rifles. I have edited this post, jwai86 is correct the pistols are dated, but not by serial as I knew but by 2 digit marks like the Brno 22 as he posted. On CZ52 accepted for military like mine use there is a date of acceptance on the right frame usually, but not always, equals date of manufacture, On CZ75's the date is stamped in a box to the left of the port, on later CZ-USA it can be found to the left of the serial on the slide, but not on the frame so if you change slides you lose the date. Something worth noting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 18 Feb 2022, 11:47 am

bladeracer wrote:
Florey55 wrote:They are long gone - and were the new handgun bargain of the decade.

Yes, but if one came onto the market he could make an informed decision about buying it.

Never mind. If he doesn't want to volunteer his opinion, it's not like we can force him.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 18 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Florey55 wrote:They are long gone - and were the new handgun bargain of the decade.

Yes, but if one came onto the market he could make an informed decision about buying it.

Never mind. If he doesn't want to volunteer his opinion, it's not like we can force him.

Oh, don't be like that. I will look for you on the weekend. I'm too lazy to do anything today. I think I should go to the Doctor and get some "Anti-Laziness Pills" !

So, you are after the year of manufacture, and what else? I'll also PM you the dealers name - who knows he may have one left !

I've just got some new grips for mine - these ones - https://wickedgrips.com/product/cz-75-c ... rips-burl/
Attachments
Wicked A.jpg
Wicked A.jpg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2022, 4:03 pm

Florey55 wrote:Oh, don't be like that. I will look for you on the weekend. I'm too lazy to do anything today. I think I should go to the Doctor and get some "Anti-Laziness Pills" !

So, you are after the year of manufacture, and what else? I'll also PM you the dealers name - who knows he may have one left !

Don't let him use it though, he'll definitely want one then :-)

I consider them not only reliable and accurate, they also fit my hands like they grew there - not always easy for a 17+1 double-stack, and they're just beautiful to look at. Mine was a Tanfoglio P19 Combat.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 18 Feb 2022, 5:05 pm

Florey55 wrote:Oh, don't be like that. I will look for you on the weekend. I'm too lazy to do anything today. I think I should go to the Doctor and get some "Anti-Laziness Pills" !

I've been keeping an eye on a couple of CZ 75B pistols, but knowledge of any other listings won't be unwelcome :)

https://barryson-firearms.com.au/collec ... cts/cz-75b

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/33714

I'm not after a specific year of manufacture. I merely wanted to know what year was stamped on your CZ 75B after recently finding out where to find it.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Feb 2022, 7:52 pm

That one at Barrys is a very good buy even after the $100 shipping from WA. Has the legal barrel already. The ones I PM'd you don't have the legal barrel. If you want a 75 I would buy it.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2022, 7:58 pm

jwai86 wrote:

I've been keeping an eye on a couple of CZ 75B pistols, but knowledge of any other listings won't be unwelcome :)

https://barryson-firearms.com.au/collec ... cts/cz-75b

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/33714

I'm not after a specific year of manufacture. I merely wanted to know what year was stamped on your CZ 75B after recently finding out where to find it.

For $700 I'd be grabbing that one real quick. I paid $720 for mine new back in 1990.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 18 Feb 2022, 8:46 pm

I would have made the purchase and registered it with my club a lot earlier if it weren't for the NSW Firearms Registry's prolonged delay with making a decision about my Probationary Pistol Licence application. I got a call from them yesterday saying that they were going to make a priority to get it done, but considering that I've been waiting since December 2020, I can only hope that the CZ 75B in WA is still there by that time.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 21 Feb 2022, 1:54 pm

jwai86 wrote:I would have made the purchase and registered it with my club a lot earlier if it weren't for the NSW Firearms Registry's prolonged delay with making a decision about my Probationary Pistol Licence application. I got a call from them yesterday saying that they were going to make a priority to get it done, but considering that I've been waiting since December 2020, I can only hope that the CZ 75B in WA is still there by that time.

Buy it anyway and have it stored with your Club Armourer. It's a nice gun at a good price..
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 21 Feb 2022, 2:26 pm

Florey55 wrote:
jwai86 wrote:I would have made the purchase and registered it with my club a lot earlier if it weren't for the NSW Firearms Registry's prolonged delay with making a decision about my Probationary Pistol Licence application. I got a call from them yesterday saying that they were going to make a priority to get it done, but considering that I've been waiting since December 2020, I can only hope that the CZ 75B in WA is still there by that time.

Buy it anyway and have it stored with your Club Armourer. It's a nice gun at a good price..

I'll need to speak to the club armourer in any case, but I don't get how I'm supposed to make a purchase without any licence at all.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2022, 4:37 pm

jwai86 wrote:
Florey55 wrote:

I'll need to speak to the club armourer in any case, but I don't get how I'm supposed to make a purchase without any licence at all.

Buy them all, then apply for a licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 21 Feb 2022, 5:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:Buy them all, then apply for a licence.

No seriously, I don't think I can get the club to approve a purchase without at least my own PPL. And what am I supposed to present to the selling dealer to indicate that everything's being done legally?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2022, 5:53 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Buy them all, then apply for a licence.

No seriously, I don't think I can get the club to approve a purchase without at least my own PPL. And what am I supposed to present to the selling dealer to indicate that everything's being done legally?

You don't need a licence to buy firearms, only to possess them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 22 Feb 2022, 12:06 pm

I sent an email to the dealer earlier today to ask if something can be arranged. If they or the club armourer don't consent, I guess I'll be in no worse position than now.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 22 Feb 2022, 2:10 pm

I don't know which club you belong to, but with some clubs in the past (NSW), it was up to the discretion of the club armourer to volunteer to have the item transferred onto the appropriate books and then allow the prospective buyer, in your case, a club member to use it by being logged out and back in at the end of the shooting session. Now, recently I asked around at various clubs and that apparently certainly doesn't sit well with the club armourers and subsequent committees so I guess it may well be a no go at this time.
It may pay to have the item sent to a local gun shop where it can be kept until your pta arrives. Hope it works out ok for you.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 22 Feb 2022, 3:30 pm

Bugman wrote:I don't know which club you belong to, but with some clubs in the past (NSW), it was up to the discretion of the club armourer to volunteer to have the item transferred onto the appropriate books and then allow the prospective buyer, in your case, a club member to use it by being logged out and back in at the end of the shooting session. Now, recently I asked around at various clubs and that apparently certainly doesn't sit well with the club armourers and subsequent committees so I guess it may well be a no go at this time.
It may pay to have the item sent to a local gun shop where it can be kept until your pta arrives. Hope it works out ok for you.

My club told me some time ago that they can acquire (using a member's own money) and register on their books a handgun for a member on a PPL to use at club meets until the member can acquire it themselves. However, I have yet to test if they would be willing to do that for a member who has been regularly attending club meets but has been waiting more than a year for their PPL to be decided upon.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 23 Feb 2022, 8:27 pm

Last night, I ran the idea of purchasing that CZ 75B past a couple of club officers (including the armourer) and the manager on duty at the indoor range (also a dealer). The club is OK with having it registered on their books, and I was told what to do as part of the convoluted process of getting the pistol from WA to a NSW dealer and then to the club.

This morning, I emailed the WA dealer of my wish to go through with purchasing the pistol, only to be told that their courier will not send it to a PO box address, which was what the range manager told me to have them do. I'll contact the range tomorrow, but if the impasse can't be resolved, then I'll have to nominate another dealer to receive the pistol.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2022, 8:29 pm

jwai86 wrote:Last night, I ran the idea of purchasing that CZ 75B past a couple of club officers (including the armourer) and the manager on duty at the indoor range (also a dealer). The club is OK with having it registered on their books, and I was told what to do as part of the convoluted process of getting the pistol from WA to a NSW dealer and then to the club.

This morning, I emailed the WA dealer of my wish to go through with purchasing the pistol, only to be told that their courier will not send it to a PO box address, which was what the range manager told me to have them do. I'll contact the range tomorrow, but if the impasse can't be resolved, then I'll have to nominate another dealer to receive the pistol.

I'm very surprised the armourer would expect it to be sent to a PO Box, it should go to a dealer's address.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 23 Feb 2022, 8:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Last night, I ran the idea of purchasing that CZ 75B past a couple of club officers (including the armourer) and the manager on duty at the indoor range (also a dealer). The club is OK with having it registered on their books, and I was told what to do as part of the convoluted process of getting the pistol from WA to a NSW dealer and then to the club.

I'm very surprised the armourer would expect it to be sent to a PO Box, it should go to a dealer's address.

The WA dealer very much prefers that the gun be sent to a dealer, so the club armourer is out of the picture at this point.

The indoor range is also a dealer, but they wanted me to tell the WA dealer to send to the range's PO box address rather than their physical address. The reason is that the range opens later in the day well after the postal services and couriers stop by the premises. They cannot guarantee the security of any incoming firearms if they are left out in the open before anyone is around to collect them.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 24 Feb 2022, 11:20 am

Well, get them to send it to your indoor range dealer then !
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 24 Feb 2022, 11:48 am

Florey55 wrote:Well, get them to send it to your indoor range dealer then !

The indoor range dealer is the party insisting that all incoming firearms have to go to their PO box. Anyway, I'm bypassing that potentially impossible situation by choosing another dealer in Sydney that the club can collect the pistol from.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 24 Feb 2022, 6:12 pm

Hmmm - if you don't stop stuffing around and buy the CZ75, I don't think I'll be able to resist my temptation and buy it myself. Both of them. :)
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by qld33 » 24 Feb 2022, 6:12 pm

Some nice CZ 75 & 85 at the fine arms auction but I'm not sure if you can just swap a longer barrel in and all good?
https://australianfinearms.com.au/wp-co ... 80x328.jpg
https://australianfinearms.com.au/wp-co ... 80x394.jpg
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 24 Feb 2022, 6:14 pm

The money has finally changed hands, so I guess it's up to other parties now to get the pistol from WA to my club. It took a lot of back and forth with dealers over email and phone over the last couple of days due to unexpected complications as per Murphy's law. Hopefully the next purchase will go a bit more smoothly.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 26 Feb 2022, 8:41 pm

qld33 wrote:Some nice CZ 75 & 85 at the fine arms auction but I'm not sure if you can just swap a longer barrel in and all good?

You probably could, but barrels aren't cheap items so you might lose whatever you saved from buying at auction.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 26 Feb 2022, 9:12 pm

jwai86 wrote:The money has finally changed hands, so I guess it's up to other parties now to get the pistol from WA to my club. It took a lot of back and forth with dealers over email and phone over the last couple of days due to unexpected complications as per Murphy's law. Hopefully the next purchase will go a bit more smoothly.

Looks like light at the end of the tunnel. Good stuff.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 27 Feb 2022, 2:58 pm

jwai86 wrote:
qld33 wrote:Some nice CZ 75 & 85 at the fine arms auction but I'm not sure if you can just swap a longer barrel in and all good?

You probably could, but barrels aren't cheap items so you might lose whatever you saved from buying at auction.

The CZ75 sold for $1,000. Add on the buyers premium, maybe another $200 then transfer/shipping fees and it's no longer a cheap CZ75
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 02 Mar 2022, 7:51 pm

The dealer in Sydney rang me this morning to let me know that the pistol has arrived. I paid the transfer fee, and somebody from the club should be able to pick it up before next week's club meet.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 06 Mar 2022, 2:21 pm

In case anybody is interested, Magnum Sports in Sydney is selling a used CZ 85 Combat for $1,095.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/424413/

Firearm Storage Tasmania is selling an older CZ 85 (marked as 'Model 85' on the slide) for $800, but the barrel isn't club legal.

https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/105145/cz85_9mm.html
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 09 Mar 2022, 7:52 am

I got to try out my CZ at the club meet last night. Changing out the aftermarket parts that it came with should create some improvements, but it works well enough otherwise.

The Pachmayr rubber grips are too wide for my smaller hands, so I'm now looking for a set of factory rubber grips to install as a baseline to compare other grips to. I wonder if there are any CZ owners with a pair of those that they are willing to sell.

The aftermarket sights (brand is LPA?) that it came with look a bit suspect. The fibre optic front sight seems unusually tall, and the rear adjustable sight looks slightly unlevel. Replacing the sights will be expensive, but may be a good idea in the longer term.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers