Have CZ 75 pistols always been uncommon in Australia?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Have CZ 75 pistols always been uncommon in Australia?

Post by jwai86 » 03 Feb 2022, 10:17 am

The SP-01 Shadow 1 and 2 series of pistols are easily found at dealers and the used market given their popularity for IPSC. In comparison, I haven't encountered many of the original CZ 75 service pistols that the Shadow series is descended from. Is it the case that not many of them got imported into Australia in the past?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Have CZ 75 pistols always been uncommon in Australia?

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2022, 12:10 pm

Plenty of CZ75's and CZ 85's were available once upon a time. As they are no longer the "latest and greatest" for some types of comp shooting you see less of them for sale, many were handed in when Howard f'd us over and others have migrated to CSD shooters like me. I have a 75 and an 85, as well as the Norinco copy of the 85 and I know of several other Service shooters either using them or keeping one as a back up pistol. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 12:26 pm

jwai86 wrote:The SP-01 Shadow 1 and 2 series of pistols are easily found at dealers and the used market given their popularity for IPSC. In comparison, I haven't encountered many of the original CZ 75 service pistols that the Shadow series is descended from. Is it the case that not many of them got imported into Australia in the past?

CZ75/85 service pistols, and their clones were, the pistol for IPSC back in my day, great design. .38 super came in so people didn't have to beat their 9mm's to death trying to make Major anymore, but didn't have to run .40 or .45. Personally, I prefer accuracy over power so I stayed with 9mm minor and learned to shoot better. If you find a CZ85 I would grab it.

If you want to build a competition pistol rather than a truly "practical" concealed-carry pistol there are probably better choices. I never changed anything on mine, used it exactly as it came straight from the box, and it did everything I could want from a pistol, and did it very well.

Now that we're limited to 10rds does open up the viability of narrower-grip single-stacks, worth keeping in mind.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 03 Feb 2022, 12:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:CZ75/85 service pistols, and their clones were, the pistol for IPSC back in my day, great design. .38 super came in so people didn't have to beat their 9mm's to death trying to make Major anymore, but didn't have to run .40 or .45. Personally, I prefer accuracy over power so I stayed with 9mm minor and learned to shoot better. If you find a CZ85 I would grab it.

If you want to build a competition pistol rather than a truly "practical" concealed-carry pistol there are probably better choices. I never changed anything on mine, used it exactly as it came straight from the box, and it did everything I could want from a pistol, and did it very well.

Now that we're limited to 10rds does open up the viability of narrower-grip single-stacks, worth keeping in mind.

I've used my club's Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle quite often, and think that the original CZ 75 platform might be a good direction for my own handgun. However, I don't take part in IPSC, and I think the Shadow series is too expensive for paper punching at club meets.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 03 Feb 2022, 12:56 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:others have migrated to CSD shooters like me.

CSD shooters?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:10 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:CZ75/85 service pistols, and their clones were, the pistol for IPSC back in my day, great design. .38 super came in so people didn't have to beat their 9mm's to death trying to make Major anymore, but didn't have to run .40 or .45. Personally, I prefer accuracy over power so I stayed with 9mm minor and learned to shoot better. If you find a CZ85 I would grab it.

I've used my club's Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle quite often, and think that the original CZ 75 platform might be a good direction for my own handgun. However, I don't take part in IPSC, and I think the Shadow series is too expensive for paper punching at club meets.

IPSC is the most fun you can have with a handgun :-)
Metallic silhouette has some appeal, but not enough to go through CatH.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:33 pm

IPSC is good. You can use pistol, a pump action 223 and a straight pull shotgun.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 03 Feb 2022, 1:48 pm

A good mate of mine bought a CZ Tactical Sport about 7-8 years ago from a dealer who had imported about 6 of them during a US gun show visit. The one my mate bought was a real cracker, comfortable to shoot and very accurate in the right hands.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:52 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:IPSC is good. You can use pistol, a pump action 223 and a straight pull shotgun.

I'd enjoy it more with a bolt-action and a double-gun :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 03 Feb 2022, 2:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:IPSC is good. You can use pistol, a pump action 223 and a straight pull shotgun.

You could use those. I don't know how good your times would be though but it would still be fun.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Feb 2022, 2:40 pm

jwai86 wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:others have migrated to CSD shooters like me.

CSD shooters?

Combined Services Discipline, a form of competition limited to "as issued" Military, Para-Military and Police firearms. Matches include Rapid Fire, Snap (either single or double tap), 3P (a 3 range 3 position shoot of 36 rounds in various times), 50m Deliberate, Service match (a 90 round match from different positions and ranges) etc.
CSD encompasses rifle and handgun comps with many only shooting rifle but most shooting both, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 2:42 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

You could use those. I don't know how good your times would be though but it would still be fun.

Zero interest in medals or scores.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 03 Feb 2022, 3:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:IPSC is the most fun you can have with a handgun :-)

Current licence issues notwithstanding, the folks over on the r/Ausguns subreddit gave me a poor impression of IPSC.

I was told by every user and their dog there that you must spend a couple of grand or more on a Shadow 2 to be competitive in IPSC. Sorry, but if I have to spend that much to even begin playing with the cool kids, then I'm out.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 4:19 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:IPSC is the most fun you can have with a handgun :-)

Current licence issues notwithstanding, the folks over on the r/Ausguns subreddit gave me a poor impression of IPSC.

I was told by every user and their dog there that you must spend a couple of grand or more on a Shadow 2 to be competitive in IPSC. Sorry, but if I have to spend that much to even begin playing with the cool kids, then I'm out.

IPSC is not what it used to be sadly. Race guns were just becoming a thing, most of us were shooting pure combat pistols, and having a ball. The people with the race guns tended to be the same ones showing up with a boot load of free factory ammo as they were sponsored. Not my sort of people at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 4:20 pm

Anybody with enough money can buy a sporting championship, happens in all sports.

Grab yourself a nice combat pistol and go and show them how it should be done.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 03 Feb 2022, 7:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:Now that we're limited to 10rds does open up the viability of narrower-grip single-stacks, worth keeping in mind.

The only 9mm single stack pistol that isn't a 1911 that I know is available in Australia is the Walther P1. It has an interesting history behind it, but I've never seen it being used as a sporting handgun.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2022, 9:39 am

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Now that we're limited to 10rds does open up the viability of narrower-grip single-stacks, worth keeping in mind.

The only 9mm single stack pistol that isn't a 1911 that I know is available in Australia is the Walther P1. It has an interesting history behind it, but I've never seen it being used as a sporting handgun.

That's true, nowadays most of single-stack pistols are going to be sub-compact and probably not an option here. The Sig p210 from the sixties is probably top of the heap for quality and accuracy. Finding a Smith & Wesson Model 39 would be enough to get me to do CatH I reckon, but I wouldn't want to run it as hard as I ran my CZ in IPSC. The CZ75/85 is the way to go. I never had to repair or replace anything, and if it ever had any stoppages (I don't recall any) I could count them on one hand. It simply worked perfectly every time I picked it up.

Don't rule out the 1911 if you haven't tried one, it is an excellent platform, if it works for you. It's very "pointable" for many people, making accuracy easy. In .45 they can have an issue with "limp-wristing", but that is easily trained out of. When drawing from a holster limp-wristing is less of an issue, it's more likely when you pick it up and fire without ensuring a good grip first.

I have never in thousands of draws fumbled a manual safety, forgotten to reengage it before holstering, or lost any time disengaging it, so don't be put off by those gadgets.

.45 1911's would have to do three reloads, even with eight-round mags, to equal my 17+1. They didn't have to shoot as accurately, but they had to shoot a lot faster than me to have any advantage. I think the .38 Super's had 9rd mags.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 04 Feb 2022, 1:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:

That's true, nowadays most of single-stack pistols are going to be sub-compact and probably not an option here. The Sig p210 from the sixties is probably top of the heap for quality and accuracy. Finding a Smith & Wesson Model 39 would be enough to get me to do CatH I reckon, but I wouldn't want to run it as hard as I ran my CZ in IPSC. The CZ75/85 is the way to go. I never had to repair or replace anything, and if it ever had any stoppages (I don't recall any) I could count them on one hand. It simply worked perfectly every time I picked it up.

Don't rule out the 1911 if you haven't tried one, it is an excellent platform, if it works for you. It's very "pointable" for many people, making accuracy easy. In .45 they can have an issue with "limp-wristing", but that is easily trained out of. When drawing from a holster limp-wristing is less of an issue, it's more likely when you pick it up and fire without ensuring a good grip first.

I have never in thousands of draws fumbled a manual safety, forgotten to reengage it before holstering, or lost any time disengaging it, so don't be put off by those gadgets.

.45 1911's would have to do three reloads, even with eight-round mags, to equal my 17+1. They didn't have to shoot as accurately, but they had to shoot a lot faster than me to have any advantage. I think the .38 Super's had 9rd mags.

I've used and like the 1911 platform, although I've only used ones chambered in .38 Super so far. .38 Super was described to me as being like a hotter 9mm, so actual 9mm should be even nicer to shoot. However, I would like to try a Browning Hi-Power (or one of its clones) before choosing between that or a 1911 for my own single action handgun.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2022, 2:07 pm

Do it!
Browning HiPower is probably my favorite pistol design of all.
But, for IPSC I think the CZ is the more useful pistol.

You can push 9mm up to make Major power-factor, but the formula was specifically designed to separate 9mm from the heavier cartridges, so you really are hammering the 9mm pistol to pieces with those loads. .38 Super bridges the gap by giving more case volume to the 9mm. Still on the hot side for a 9mm pistol design.

I've watched Army guys shooting IPSC courses with HiPowers that were incredibly loose from decades of training recruits with mountains of free ammo.

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:

I've used and like the 1911 platform, although I've only used ones chambered in .38 Super so far. .38 Super was described to me as being like a hotter 9mm, so actual 9mm should be even nicer to shoot. However, I would like to try a Browning Hi-Power (or one of its clones) before choosing between that or a 1911 for my own single action handgun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 04 Feb 2022, 3:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do it!

You can push 9mm up to make Major power-factor, but the formula was specifically designed to separate 9mm from the heavier cartridges, so you really are hammering the 9mm pistol to pieces with those loads. .38 Super bridges the gap by giving more case volume to the 9mm. Still on the hot side for a 9mm pistol design.

I've watched Army guys shooting IPSC courses with HiPowers that were incredibly loose from decades of training recruits with mountains of free ammo.

The biggest issue is that original Hi-Powers are pretty rare and expensive on the used market. If I want a cheaper Hi-Power clone, I'll need to arrange for one to be imported in. NIOA has yet to confirm if it will import the Springfield Armory SA-35. Industek can import the TISAS ZIG 14, but there's no telling how long it would take to get one in from Turkey.

In the meantime, I've been keeping an eye out on a couple of CZ 75B pistols. Unfortunately, there's no telling if they'll still be around by the time my NSW probationary pistol licence is sorted.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 04 Feb 2022, 7:54 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Do it!

The biggest issue is that original Hi-Powers are pretty rare and expensive on the used market. If I want a cheaper Hi-Power clone, I'll need to arrange for one to be imported in. NIOA has yet to confirm if it will import the Springfield Armory SA-35. Industek can import the TISAS ZIG 14, but there's no telling how long it would take to get one in from Turkey.

In the meantime, I've been keeping an eye out on a couple of CZ 75B pistols. Unfortunately, there's no telling if they'll still be around by the time my NSW probationary pistol licence is sorted.

You can pre order the springfield SA-35 from Cleavers for $1325, i've had one on order for a while now, due early this year sometime was the story when i ordered it. They're up on their website if you want to look.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 04 Feb 2022, 11:08 pm

JSS wrote:You can pre order the springfield SA-35 from Cleavers for $1325, i've had one on order for a while now, due early this year sometime was the story when i ordered it. They're up on their website if you want to look.

I've seen that pre-order, but I'm hoping it won't end up being the only way to get an SA-35 given that NIOA imports some other firearms by Springfield Armory.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 06 Feb 2022, 3:21 pm

Last year a dealer in Victoria imported a number of new, old-stock CZ75Bs from Singapore and was selling them new for $695. I got one, and so did a club mate.

My one is pictured below.

Who knows, they may find more so keep an eye on ozgunsales as that's the only site this dealer advertises on...

Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 15 Feb 2022, 2:29 pm

Florey55 wrote:Last year a dealer in Victoria imported a number of new, old-stock CZ75Bs from Singapore and was selling them new for $695. I got one, and so did a club mate.

Do you know its year of manufacture? Have you had the opportunity to use it on the range since getting it? :D
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Florey55 » 17 Feb 2022, 9:26 am

jwai86 wrote:
Florey55 wrote:Last year a dealer in Victoria imported a number of new, old-stock CZ75Bs from Singapore and was selling them new for $695. I got one, and so did a club mate.

Do you know its year of manufacture? Have you had the opportunity to use it on the range since getting it? :D

Why is the tear of manufacture, and whether I've shot it of interest to you?
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2022, 10:09 am

Florey55 wrote:
jwai86 wrote:

He wants your opinion of it so he can decide whether to chase one up for himself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Florey55 » 17 Feb 2022, 12:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Florey55 wrote:
jwai86 wrote:

He wants your opinion of it so he can decide whether to chase one up for himself.

They are long gone - and were the new handgun bargain of the decade.
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2022, 1:21 pm

G'day Florey55,
Actual year of manufacture is almost impossible to know for all early CZ75's. The best you can do is year of introduction for the variants, ie: Short Rail 1975 to 1980, Long Rail 1980 to 1993, CZ75 B 1993 to Present etc. As to performance, there is a reason CZ pistols were, and to a large extent still are, very popular in all forms of handgun competition is due to their capability and price point. A 75 B in good hands will match a SP-01 any day, but in even hands you would want the Shadow. My CZ52 out of the box would equal them all for accuracy but is nowhere near a competitive pistol anymore. Buy a 75 or the ambidextrous 85, and enjoy it. Perhaps if you want to hunt you may find one of the scarce Single Action only CZ75's, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2022, 2:47 pm

Florey55 wrote:They are long gone - and were the new handgun bargain of the decade.

Yes, but if one came onto the market he could make an informed decision about buying it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 17 Feb 2022, 4:02 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Florey55,
Actual year of manufacture is almost impossible to know for all early CZ75's. The best you can do is year of introduction for the variants, ie: Short Rail 1975 to 1980, Long Rail 1980 to 1993, CZ75 B 1993 to Present etc. As to performance, there is a reason CZ pistols were, and to a large extent still are, very popular in all forms of handgun competition is due to their capability and price point. A 75 B in good hands will match a SP-01 any day, but in even hands you would want the Shadow. My CZ52 out of the box would equal them all for accuracy but is nowhere near a competitive pistol anymore. Buy a 75 or the ambidextrous 85, and enjoy it. Perhaps if you want to hunt you may find one of the scarce Single Action only CZ75's, Cheers.

I was under the impression that you could find the year of manufacture by looking at the two digit number next to the ejection port.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers