Post by FearlessMagpie » 14 Feb 2022, 8:43 am

Does IPSC 22lr division actually exist :?:
FearlessMagpie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: HANDGUNS SMALL PISTOL CLASS OPEN

Post by lcpltac » 14 Feb 2022, 9:33 am

Yes, great fun and no brass to pick up!!
I suspect I’ll be shooting more of it this year with the lack of pistol powder we’re currently experiencing. I use a Volquartsen for Open and a TAC-Sol upper on a G17 for Standard (when/if it actually functions ;-) )
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 10:14 am

lcpltac wrote:Yes, great fun and no brass to pick up!!
I suspect I’ll be shooting more of it this year with the lack of pistol powder we’re currently experiencing. I use a Volquartsen for Open and a TAC-Sol upper on a G17 for Standard (when/if it actually functions ;-) )

Sounds awesome!
Wish it was happening 30 years ago. People would bring .22's along for plinking sessions, but I wasn't aware of any rimfire IPSC happening anywhere in the country.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2022, 11:04 am

Some clubs have rimfire IPSC matches, certainly in QLD where newly licensed shooters are stuck with just one pistol for the first year but only within those clubs and for the ones I have seen holsters are not permitted for rimfire.

I haven't heard of any state or national level IPSC competitions hosting the rimfire category, most likely there just aren't enough shooters at that level that are interested, plus they all have access to multiple centerfire pistols and can certainly use holsters.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FearlessMagpie » 14 Feb 2022, 11:48 am

lcpltac wrote:Yes, great fun and no brass to pick up!!

Does your Volquartsen have a 4.5+1" or 6+1" inch barrel? Thanks
FearlessMagpie
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 11:51 am

rc42 wrote:Some clubs have rimfire IPSC matches, certainly in QLD where newly licensed shooters are stuck with just one pistol for the first year but only within those clubs and for the ones I have seen holsters are not permitted for rimfire.

I haven't heard of any state or national level IPSC competitions hosting the rimfire category, most likely there just aren't enough shooters at that level that are interested, plus they all have access to multiple centerfire pistols and can certainly use holsters.

That would suck, IPSC without holsters.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 14 Feb 2022, 1:12 pm

I've shot a Ruger .22 from the holster several times in SSAA practical pistol matches in WA. Same conditions as any other semi-auto except scoring fewer points for an A, etc. The steels go down with CCI standard, so no dramas most of the time, or it is hit to score on heavier stuff.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2022, 1:20 pm

ob1 wrote:I've shot a Ruger .22 from the holster several times in SSAA practical pistol matches in WA. Same conditions as any other semi-auto except scoring fewer points for an A, etc. The steels go down with CCI standard, so no dramas most of the time, or it is hit to score on heavier stuff.

What is the scoring with Small Pistol PF? Do you still only put two rounds on target? Does the score relate at all to Minor and Major PF? What I mean is, can you go into a match with .22LR and beat shooters using 9mm Minor or .45 Major?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 14 Feb 2022, 4:59 pm

IPSC using rimfire pistols would definitely be more financially accessible than otherwise being told that you need to spend two or three grand on a Shadow 2 just to get into the format.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 14 Feb 2022, 5:22 pm

jwai86 wrote:IPSC using rimfire pistols would definitely be more financially accessible than otherwise being told that you need to spend two or three grand on a Shadow 2 just to get into the format.

You gotta pay to play, no one says you MUST purchase a Shadow 2 to shoot IPSC, but it really comes down to how competitive you'd like to be :unknown:

A couple grand for a fantastic pistol really isn't that much money, hell I spent $2,500 on a 22lr pistol :thumbsup: Being a tight-arse and IPSC don't generally go hand in hand, especially when an average round count for an outing is 200+, do that every week plus any away multi-day comps, gets real expensive real quick, unless you are reloading.

There's plenty of other pistol competitions that don't require such a hefty financial outlay, also plenty of clubs that run smaller IPSC nights where it's alot more fun based, rather than over the top competitive.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 14 Feb 2022, 5:25 pm

Scoring is 3, 2 and 0. Two scoring rounds maximum each paper target.

Yes, you can beat some of the shooters who are using centrefire if you are faster and accurate, but don't expect to win the match when the maximum you can score is 60% of the available points. I view it as a social thing and a fun event to practice accuracy, speed and movement when I am running a .22 rimfire instead of my 38 Super open gun.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 14 Feb 2022, 11:10 pm

Brisbane SSAA have completely different IPSC matches for rimfire and centrefire, paper targets are generally the same but the steel sections for rimfire are lightweight silhouette targets rather than the heavy steel plates, poppers and tombstones that centrefire uses, also centrefire matches use holsters, rimfire do not.

There are no matches there that mix the two ammunition types, other clubs may have different rules if they only have enough competitors to make it worthwhile setting up one centrefire course but want to be inclusive to those who only have rimfire pistols and let them have a go.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by lcpltac » 15 Feb 2022, 12:58 am

My Volquartson is a 4.5 + 1”
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 17 Feb 2022, 2:04 pm

Just had a chat to mate of mine, and at the club he shoots at, they have mid week (modified?) action match from 15, to 10 to 7m
and using .22's, 36 rounds in all. Apparently very well liked, and quick. Don't know of other clubs that shoot this type of match.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Kimbocv8 » 04 Mar 2022, 2:29 pm

Hi all,
At the end of the day, officially there is no IPSC Rimfire categories. IPSC purely uses centrefire handguns, rifles and shotguns.
To clarify further, this is IPSC and not SSAA practical I'm talking about as I'm not conversant with SSAA practical rules - there are differences between SSAA practical (who's rules you have posted) and IPSC rules and divisions.
Any .22 'IPSC' matches that people talk about are at club level organised by the host club or actually SSAA practical matches, or some club organised hybrid.
Hope this helps :)
Kimbocv8
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by DecaHex » 29 May 2022, 10:46 pm

By the wording "minimum calibre of .22 Long Rifle", that would mean a pistol in .22 WMR would be allowed, would that be correct?
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers