Avoiding unconsciously changing my grip after every shot?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Avoiding unconsciously changing my grip after every shot?

Post by jwai86 » 16 Feb 2022, 12:34 pm

A very knowledgeable club member (a retired commando and Afghanistan veteran) gave me the feedback that I keep shifting my grip after making each shot, and thus changing my point of aim. The problem is that I don't recall doing this deliberately, so it must be something unconscious that's being observed.

Is this a common issue, and how can it be addressed to correct my technique? I'm taking a wild stab that many of the club handguns have relatively smooth grips, so something with more texture might help.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Avoiding unconsciously changing my grip after every shot

Post by niteowl » 16 Feb 2022, 1:36 pm

jwai86 wrote:A very knowledgeable club member (a retired commando and Afghanistan veteran) gave me the feedback that I keep shifting my grip after making each shot, and thus changing my point of aim. The problem is that I don't recall doing this deliberately, so it must be something unconscious that's being observed.

Is this a common issue, and how can it be addressed to correct my technique? I'm taking a wild stab that many of the club handguns have relatively smooth grips, so something with more texture might help.

My advice, practice, practice and practice. When you have done that ........... Practice some more.
All based on some 60 odd years of shooting pistols, rifles and shot guns.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by rc42 » 16 Feb 2022, 1:39 pm

It seems to be common on revolvers, especially after the first shot when the recoil settles and changes the initial hand position.
All you can really do is look and think about hand position before each trigger pull, work out what you're changing between shots and why. Then try to develop a hold position that doesn't change by using muscle memory and reference points that you touch on the grips and frame if you can.

If you can't spot any differences between your hold between shots then don't worry about it, concentrate on sight picture, it's more important that minor changes in grip.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 16 Feb 2022, 7:22 pm

Your weak hand should be doing most of the holding and your strong hand doing the trigger pulling. Try a grip where you press the rear of both hands together while gripping firm with your weak hand and see if your grip changes between shots. Your trigger finger should be mostly relaxed, as the weak hand is doing most of the gripping. Also, consistently place your weak thumb in the same place on the gun.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 Feb 2022, 8:37 pm

I use key words in a sequence to help me remember proper procedure ( I don’t say it out loud ) Eg when I’m hunting in the dark and I stalked in to within 25-40 metres of a mob of pigs , I think LEGS LAY RECORD SAFETY .....legs reminds me to unfold my bipod , lay means get prone on the ground , record means hit the record button on my scope. And safety reminds me to ease the safety off ......without this sequence , in stressful or exciting situations, I’m 100 per cent not goin to remember to record the video of the action. ..I really should add the word COVER. ( flick the lens cover on my thermal binos to shut position ) because my lense is always rubbing in the dirt when I lay down prone and shuffle myself into a comfy shooting position ..I’m sure you could come up with a similar thought sequence to help u remember consistence grip, breathing , etc
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 9:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:I use key words in a sequence to help me remember proper procedure ( I don’t say it out loud ) Eg when I’m hunting in the dark and I stalked in to within 25-40 metres of a mob of pigs , I think LEGS LAY RECORD SAFETY .....legs reminds me to unfold my bipod , lay means get prone on the ground , record means hit the record button on my scope. And safety reminds me to ease the safety off ......without this sequence , in stressful or exciting situations, I’m 100 per cent not goin to remember to record the video of the action. ..I really should add the word COVER. ( flick the lens cover on my thermal binos to shut position ) because my lense is always rubbing in the dirt when I lay down prone and shuffle myself into a comfy shooting position ..I’m sure you could come up with a similar thought sequence to help u remember consistence grip, breathing , etc

That is a good idea!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 17 Feb 2022, 2:10 pm

I guess it depends on what match you are shooting. I use a revolver for most of my matches and if i am going single action I have practiced re cocking the hammer with my thumb of my strong hand when required. Takes practice and I am still working on it.
Double action is no real problem for me as I have got it pretty well down pat, without any or very little movement.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 17 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm

I heard a story once from my father about an enemy soldier who died because he forgot correct procedure in an ambush situation in Vietnam .....enemy soldier was crouched hidden ready and waiting ....Aussie soldiers were walking nearly right at him unaware ...... had the enemy soldier remember ed to carefully ease the safety off quietly prior he would not have been identified. But under stress he forgot . Aimed and pulled the trigger but no go , freaked, flicked the safety off carelessly and noisily ....but the Aussie on the left of the section was super switched on , knew no fellow soldiers were on the left and reacted instantly to the sound of the noisy safety , swung the gun around filling the Bush with lead , and killed the enemy soldier ....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers