Recommendations for handgun cleaning tools and products?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Recommendations for handgun cleaning tools and products?

Post by jwai86 » 28 Feb 2022, 3:11 pm

I recently purchased a CZ 75B that is now on its way to my club. The pistol will be registered to the club for a while, but I should start learning to clean and maintain it.

Patches, solvents and lubricants are fairly straightforward, but I hope I can find something that doesn't give off smelly and headache-inducing fumes like the big bottle of Butch's Bore Shine I've seen the club use when cleaning its handguns.

Does anyone have recommendations for a short cleaning rod and jag and brush attachments? The club uses rods meant for rifles, but those are long and unwieldy for cleaning handgun barrels.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Recommendations for handgun cleaning tools and products?

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Feb 2022, 3:29 pm

G'day jwai86,
Congrats on the CZ. As for kits, I use an Outers pistol kit for 9mm whcih has a steel T handle rod with screw in patch holder and brush, oil bottle etc. I also have a nylon bristle which is almost all that I use on handguns as I only ever use coated (HRBC) or jacketed projectiles. Any good steel, brass or aluminium T handle will suffice, I only use Eds Red to clean, and normal Mineral Oil (de-natured Baby Oil) to keep, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 28 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm

I got one of these, a nice 9" cleaning rod
https://ontargetsportingarms.com/taylor ... aning-rod/

If you only use coated (preferably copper) lead projectiles your barrel cleaning will be much easier but a bronze brush is still worth having, as is a nylon one and a jag for patches. I'd recommend G96 gun oil, it smells so good they should sell it as after-shave.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 07 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

rc42 wrote:I got one of these, a nice 9" cleaning rod
https://ontargetsportingarms.com/taylor ... aning-rod/

Is the rod shaft made of carbon fibre, or is it merely coated in it? I'm getting conflicting information about that cleaning rod.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 07 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

There's a removable cap on the back of the handle that allows the rod to be removed, the back end of the rod shows it is a solid grey composite type material. It looks like carbon fiber and it's certainly very light and rigid, the adapter at the business end is brass.

But does that matter?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Mar 2022, 10:44 am

rc42 wrote:There's a removable cap on the back of the handle that allows the rod to be removed, the back end of the rod shows it is a solid grey composite type material. It looks like carbon fiber and it's certainly very light and rigid, the adapter at the business end is brass.

But does that matter?

Correct, in my opinion. It really does not matter. Each pistol (and rifle) owner will have their preferences and subsequent reasoning.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 07 Mar 2022, 2:42 pm

rc42 wrote:But does that matter?

I couldn't find a straight answer online about whether a steel, brass or carbon fibre cleaning rod would be most suitable. Similarly, I couldn't tell whether there was a 'best' choice of cleaning kit, so I ended up buying the following kit on the recommendation of a club member:

https://www.herrons.com.au/products/cat ... eaning-kit
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 07 Mar 2022, 3:35 pm

Just had a look at the remnants of my old 9mm kit. I ended up using a bore snake most of the time, and a hard bristle nylon brush and some Hoppes etc. Every now and then I use an air dusting gun attached to me small compressor to clean out any debris that may be eft in the action and magazines.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 09 Mar 2022, 9:41 pm

Spika make a nice little kit for multiple pistol calibres.

https://spika.com.au/products/cleaning- ... t-size-9mm

I have recently purchased one due to its compact size (easily fit in range bag) and does 9mm, 38, 40, 44 & 45.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 13 Mar 2022, 9:11 am

Bugman wrote:Just had a look at the remnants of my old 9mm kit. I ended up using a bore snake most of the time, and a hard bristle nylon brush and some Hoppes etc. Every now and then I use an air dusting gun attached to me small compressor to clean out any debris that may be eft in the action and magazines.

I haven't completely figured out how to use a bore snake, and from a recent thread on this forum, I got the impression that they can clean quickly, but not necessarily thoroughly.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers