Spotted an old West German SIG Sauer P226 on Used Guns

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Spotted an old West German SIG Sauer P226 on Used Guns

Post by jwai86 » 18 Mar 2022, 1:35 pm

While looking at ads for 9mm handguns on Used Guns, I spotted a SIG Sauer P226 going for $1,200. I was intrigued because more recent models of the P226 often go for at least $2,000 or more.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/422757/

After requesting and receiving the above photos from the seller, I zoomed in on the right side of the slide, and could faintly make out the words 'Made in W Germany'. That would make the pistol quite old, so I've asked the seller if he can get a photo of the proof marks and date codes on the slide to see if there's anything else that's interesting.

https://www.realgunreviews.com/sig-saue ... ate-codes/

That said, I'm not sure I really need another steel DA/SA pistol after recently purchasing a CZ 75B. It's also unclear to me how much local support exists for parts and aftermarket accessories for the P226.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Spotted an old West German SIG Sauer P226 on Used Guns

Post by wanneroo » 19 Mar 2022, 12:52 am

These old West German P220 series pistols are tanks. I like em and they shoot well. I have a 1982 P225 single stack that is West German Polizei surplus and it's very accurate. I've shot the P226 several times and would like to get a surplus one for my collection..

Parts are readily available here in the USA and seeing that is the case, any big Sig dealer in Australia should be able to get parts.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by jwai86 » 19 Mar 2022, 11:54 am

wanneroo wrote:Parts are readily available here in the USA and seeing that is the case, any big Sig dealer in Australia should be able to get parts.

The problem is that there are next to no big SIG Sauer dealers in Australia. Even the official importer only brings in a handful of their handguns, of which most are from the newer P320 range. The P320 is irrelevant to me because their magazines aren't approved by NSW Police and are therefore prohibited in NSW.

https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... /handguns/
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 20 Mar 2022, 12:16 am

jwai86 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Parts are readily available here in the USA and seeing that is the case, any big Sig dealer in Australia should be able to get parts.

The problem is that there are next to no big SIG Sauer dealers in Australia. Even the official importer only brings in a handful of their handguns, of which most are from the newer P320 range. The P320 is irrelevant to me because their magazines aren't approved by NSW Police and are therefore prohibited in NSW.

https://www.osaaustralia.com.au/product ... /handguns/

Well that sucks. I did a little looking around and it seems there are some gun dealers in Australia that have stocked the P226 parts kit but the ones I saw were out of stock. If you can find one of those that's about all you need.

Overall if the gun shoots reliably right now then I wouldn't worry too much, the guns are tanks. The US Navy Seals used them to great success for decades and it would have won the US Army competition for pistols in 1984 but Beretta beat them by $5 a pistol, even though the Sig performed better.

A lot of collectors here in the USA prize the old West German guns with the folded steel slide.

Personally I like shooting them and will be adding one to my collection when I find the right one.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by jwai86 » 14 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm

I don't think SIG Sauer does themselves any favours by effectively pricing their flagship steel handgun out of the Australian market. When even the basic models easily go for more than $2,000 brand new with very little difference in the used market, most competitive shooters would go for a similarly priced CZ Shadow 2 and be done with it knowing that it'll be suitable for formats like IPSC right out of the box, and it won't be too hard to find parts locally.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers