My recently purchased CZ 75B

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

My recently purchased CZ 75B

Post by jwai86 » 23 Mar 2022, 11:00 pm

I purchased this CZ 75B in late February from a dealer in WA, and it's currently registered with my club. Having used it at the last few weekly club meets, it's in decent working condition for something that's nearly 30 years old based on the 1994 date stamp near the ejection port.

The two most immediate things I would like to do is change the grips and sights on the pistol.

The Pachmayr rubber grips seen in the photos feel too thick for my hand. I'm waiting on plastic and rubber factory grips to arrive from a vendor in the Czech Republic. That way, I can bring the grips back to a stock configuration and use that as a starting point to figure out what fits my grasp.

The front and rear sights appear to be a random kludge. While they are zeroed in somewhat accurately, I'm not sure the rear sight is properly mounted, as it is not level with the slide underneath.

It's unclear to me if the pistol still has any of its original black finish. The colour of the slide and frame is more like a dark metallic grey. I'm inclined to get the pistol painted in a black Cerakote at a later time.
Last edited by jwai86 on 24 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: My recently purchased CZ 75B

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2022, 12:13 am

Looks bloody beautiful to me :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Mar 2022, 5:32 am

The grips and sights definitely looking quite unappealing, obviously it's a function over format thing. Other that that it's extremely tidy.
It took me a second to work out why the ejection port was in silver/grey digi-cam :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Florey55 » 24 Mar 2022, 6:51 am

I'm waiting on plastic and rubber factory grips to arrive from a vendor in the Czech Republic.

Paul Britton of Terrey Hills Gun Shop has these in stock.

"The front and rear sights appear to be randomly thrown together, and while they are zeroed in somewhat accurately, I'm not sure the rear sight is properly mounted, as it is not level with the slide underneath."

This "handiwork" has all the hallmarks of a meth-fuelled, crazed amateur gunsmith. Replace them with a set of LPA sights, freely available from a number of sources in Australia !

" I'm inclined to get the pistol painted in a black Cerakote at a later time. "

Have it cerakoted in "Midnight Blue" - it will look fantastic. I've had a few done in that colour..
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 24 Mar 2022, 7:42 am

Florey55 wrote:Paul Britton of Terrey Hills Gun Shop has these in stock.

Not when I checked this morning or a couple of weeks ago.

This "handiwork" has all the hallmarks of a meth-fuelled, crazed amateur gunsmith. Replace them with a set of LPA sights, freely available from a number of sources in Australia !

I know somebody who can sell me a set of LPA sights cheaply, and we are in the process of confirming that they will fit the dovetail on my pistol before I go ahead with buying them.

Have it cerakoted in "Midnight Blue" - it will look fantastic. I've had a few done in that colour..

I've been advised that Graphite Black is the closest colour to the black polycoat CZ uses.
Last edited by jwai86 on 24 Mar 2022, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 24 Mar 2022, 8:34 am

Congrats on the pistol
Will you be reloading for it?
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2022, 9:01 am

I found to get the best out of my 75 I had to reload and experiment with different loads. Something you can plan ahead for. One step at a time.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 24 Mar 2022, 9:19 am

Bello wrote:Will you be reloading for it?

Not me personally. The club uses reloaded ammo however.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 24 Mar 2022, 12:31 pm

Bugman wrote:I found to get the best out of my 75 I had to reload and experiment with different loads. Something you can plan ahead for. One step at a time.

If you can manage to get some of that long forgotten thing called pistol powder :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2022, 6:23 pm

Bello wrote:
Bugman wrote:I found to get the best out of my 75 I had to reload and experiment with different loads. Something you can plan ahead for. One step at a time.

If you can manage to get some of that long forgotten thing called pistol powder :lol:

I try not to mention that as people are apparently going through serious withdrawal symptoms :shock:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 24 Mar 2022, 10:48 pm

Bello wrote:Congrats on the pistol
Will you be reloading for it?

If so there are 200 rounds per box of shotgun shells ask me how I know
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 25 Mar 2022, 9:28 am

I don't plan on reloading my own ammo because I don't have much more space in my unit to set up tools like a press, and it can get quite humid inside, which I understand is not good for powder and propellant.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 02 Apr 2022, 10:45 am

I collected the plastic and rubber factory grips that I ordered from Gunspart in the Czech Republic from the post office on Wednesday. I wasn't entirely sure that Gunspart was a legitimate vendor when I made the order, but they fortunately fulfilled their end of the transaction.

I'll give these grips a go during the next club meet to see if either set fits my hands better than the current Pachmayr grips.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 06 Apr 2022, 7:14 pm

Ah used guns, the joys of trying to figure out what the f*** you have bought ;)

Grips look terrible but I suspect they are probably half decent to shoot with
Would be inclined to leave the rear sight alone, if its a good fit in the dovetail which it looks to be then its really a matter of height and if you can get a front sight to suit.
Looks like its zeroed for 100m but lol
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 07 Apr 2022, 10:06 pm

dnedative wrote:Ah used guns, the joys of trying to figure out what the f*** you have bought ;)

Figuring out the CZ 75B wasn't too bad after watching a heap of videos about the pistol on YouTube a while ago.

Grips look terrible but I suspect they are probably half decent to shoot with

As I mentioned earlier, the Pachmayr grips were too thick for my hand to get a comfortable grip. I've since replaced them with CZ factory grips to see if they are an improvement.

Would be inclined to leave the rear sight alone, if its a good fit in the dovetail which it looks to be then its really a matter of height and if you can get a front sight to suit.
Looks like its zeroed for 100m but lol

I have a set of Antonin Zendl sights (green fibre optic front sight and blacked out rear adjustable sight) coming in from the Czech Republic to replace the currently installed sights. I figured it would be better to start afresh with some new sights that don't look like some mash-up from someone's garage.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 10 Feb 2023, 12:11 pm

Now that my longstanding licence issues have now been resolved, I can resume using my 75B at club meets.

Earlier this week, I swapped out the stock plastic grips for a Hogue rubber grip because the stock grips were doing a poor job of keeping my hands from sliding around. I'll have to use the new setup for a while before I can confirm any improvement.

jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers