Pistol Powder !

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol Powder !

Post by Florey55 » 24 Mar 2022, 6:45 am

Just saw an advert on usedguns for AP50 pistol powder - $450 for 500g ! Wow !
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2022, 8:33 am

Florey55 wrote:Just saw an advert on usedguns for AP50 pistol powder - $450 for 500g ! Wow !


Somebody's having a laugh.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2022, 8:53 am

bladeracer wrote:
Florey55 wrote:Just saw an advert on usedguns for AP50 pistol powder - $450 for 500g ! Wow !


Somebody's having a laugh.


All the way to the bank, no doubt.
User avatar
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1102
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Mar 2022, 9:42 am

The ad also says, quite clearly, "feel free to make an offer". The seller does not know what price the market will bear, no one would as none of this is for sale anywhere, so as usedguns needs a price he has simply put a price in then asked for offers. Offer what you think it's worth to you and you will most likely get it.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2120
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by JimTom » 24 Mar 2022, 11:02 am

Someone will pay that. Seems fairly extreme however it always comes back to that basic equation of supply V demand.
User avatar
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2133
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bello » 24 Mar 2022, 12:28 pm

I'll take two :lol: :sarcasm:
User avatar
Bello
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 319
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2022, 6:47 pm

Factory ammo for me in that situation
Blr243
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4541
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2022, 6:50 pm

Blr243 wrote:Factory ammo for me in that situation


That's probably still cheaper than factory ammo though?
Be about 30c of powder per 9mm, plus a bullet and a primer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Mar 2022, 7:15 pm

If anyone is looking for 2208 or 2209 I'm happy to part with unopened 500g containers for $200 + $10 postage each. PayPal, direct debit and money order all welcomed :sarcasm:
Use code "RIPOFF" for a %10 discount
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3621
South Australia

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm

Your probably correct blade. Been long time since I shot handguns. .. I forgot about the three gains of powder per charge needed as opposed to the 50 us rifle shooters are useing
Blr243
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 4541
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Florey55 » 25 Mar 2022, 7:52 am

There's more advertised today - $1200 and $1350 for a couple of bottles of AP...

Screenshot 2022-03-25 085351.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-25 085351.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bello » 25 Mar 2022, 10:31 am

It SOLD :crazy:
User avatar
Bello
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 319
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Mar 2022, 4:36 pm

All the AP50 sold, the 2kg instantly the 500g from the other day sold also. Demandd exceeds supply, prices reflect this. I look at my 5kg of AP50 and think, "hmm...there's another rifle sitting there".
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2120
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2022, 4:56 pm

Do we know how much it actually sold for though?
I'm quite sure somebody out there is happy to pay the premium without haggling, but others probably tried negotiating.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Florey55 » 26 Mar 2022, 10:02 am

bladeracer wrote:Do we know how much it actually sold for though?
I'm quite sure somebody out there is happy to pay the premium without haggling, but others probably tried negotiating.


With such short supply and with so much demand, why would a seller accept less than the asking price?
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Florey55 » 26 Mar 2022, 10:05 am

No1Mk3 wrote:All the AP50 sold, the 2kg instantly the 500g from the other day sold also. Demandd exceeds supply, prices reflect this. I look at my 5kg of AP50 and think, "hmm...there's another rifle sitting there".


I think you should.

I have little sympathy for shooters who were totally oblivious to all the warning signs, did not plan ahead and did not get some powder stock in..

So you might as well profit from them !

If you see some Bullseye or N310 for $2,000 - it will be me !
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bello » 26 Mar 2022, 10:28 am

Hi Guys
I was lamenting the price the powder sold for, to my wife :crazy:
she jumped up and said
sell the stuff you got :crazy:

I don't think we will see pistol powder till next year at the earliest.
I don't know how they can justify keeping their management team. This is a shambles. NO powder being produced here at all.
I can understand supply chain issues, but to have NO powder being produced at all, and no back up plan by them defies logic.

Just me ranting. :unknown:
User avatar
Bello
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 319
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2022, 10:37 am

Florey55 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Do we know how much it actually sold for though?
I'm quite sure somebody out there is happy to pay the premium without haggling, but others probably tried negotiating.


With such short supply and with so much demand, why would a seller accept less than the asking price?


Conscience perhaps.
As No1Mk3 said, the ad requires a price and you don't know what the market will accept so just toss a number on it.
But if you're going to sell like that then you're going to have to wear it yourself when you find yourself stuck chasing a spark plug and the only guy that has one asks $1000 for it because he knows how badly you need it. It's short term greed that benefits nobody and hurts everybody.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2022, 10:49 am

Bello wrote:I don't think we will see pistol powder till next year at the earliest.
I don't know how they can justify keeping their management team. This is a shambles. NO powder being produced here at all.
I can understand supply chain issues, but to have NO powder being produced at all, and no back up plan by them defies logic.

Just me ranting. :unknown:


ADI have said they don't expect to be producing pistol and shotgun powders before '23.

It's certainly a shambles of an astonishing level. But we don't know what the deal was, perhaps they thought it was the best option they had, maybe the only option.
Last edited by bladeracer on 26 Mar 2022, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Florey55 » 26 Mar 2022, 11:13 am

bladeracer wrote:
Florey55 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Do we know how much it actually sold for though?
I'm quite sure somebody out there is happy to pay the premium without haggling, but others probably tried negotiating.


With such short supply and with so much demand, why would a seller accept less than the asking price?


Conscience perhaps.
As No1Mk3 said, the ad requires a price and you don't know what the market will accept so just toss a number on it.
But if you're going to sell like that then you're going to have to wear it yourself when you find yourself stuck chasing a spark plug and the only guy that has one asks $1000 for it because he knows how badly you need it. It's short term greed that benefits nobody and hurts everybody.


Would you sell your house at 1980s pricing, or would you take advantage of the current round of house price increases - where demand exceeds supply?
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 48
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

There have been a number of high price sales for fast powder and all have sold within a day so far, that likely means that there were some buyers willing to pay full price.
There are still some listed since yesterday with pricing around the $900 per kilo mark, maybe those transaction are taking place today and they too will shortly be listed as sold.

Supply and Demand rules in such times, some of the prices on items in the USA over the last year have been jaw dropping but things are worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for them, maybe there were even priced too low for the current market.

Personally, I'd use factory ammo or 22LR before paying that sort of price and I assume most pistol shooters here would do the same. Clubs are getting very flexible about allowing rimfire pistols to participate in centerfire shoots.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 798
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bugman » 26 Mar 2022, 3:39 pm

I was talking to my local GS today and the situation is dire, but as he pointed out it could turn around in the blink of an eye. I blinked all the way on the drive home, but nothing eventuated.
User avatar
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1102
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2022, 5:40 pm

Bugman wrote:I was talking to my local GS today and the situation is dire, but as he pointed out it could turn around in the blink of an eye. I blinked all the way on the drive home, but nothing eventuated.


It would only take a couple of containers to arrive here and we could be sorted long enough for it to stabilise, but it does require somebody to take that risk on getting the shipments happening.

I scored two cases of .22LR last month, and I was going back through my logs to find they were $5 cheaper than I paid for the same stuff in 2020, that's impressive. Not everybody is gouging their customers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by rc42 » 26 Mar 2022, 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, the same thing that is happening in the US is going to happen here, as stock comes in those that were caught out and have been struggling without are going to buy up big and build up personal stockpiles as high as their budgets will allow. This will extend the shortage in stores for many years to come, after which demand will likely drop to an all time low and the prices will finally come down.

I heard that one of the execs at our pistol club already has over 140,000 primers and 40Kg of powder and is still looking to build up more, many others will also be looking to secure a lifetime supply so this never happens to them again.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 798
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bigpete » 27 Mar 2022, 3:56 pm

I got a full tub of trailboss,I might look into selling that for a ridiculous price.
Coming to think on it,I've also got ¾ a bottle of 2205 as well that I've no use for...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3685
South Australia

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2022, 3:57 pm

bigpete wrote:I got a full tub of trailboss,I might look into selling that for a ridiculous price.
Coming to think on it,I've also got ¾ a bottle of 2205 as well that I've no use for...


You'll have zero issues selling that, just call your local pistol club.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 12771
Victoria

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Bills Shed » 29 Mar 2022, 7:59 pm

I have 2kg of AS50N here in Tas that someone can make me a ridiculous offer on if they wish. They just sort the logistics.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 433
Tasmania

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Smokeyr67 » 07 Apr 2022, 1:06 pm

I’ve got a metal tin of AP-50 sitting in the cupboard, it must be at least 15 years old, do you think I could sell it as antique and get $5k for it?
Smokeyr67
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 4
Queensland

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by jwai86 » 07 Apr 2022, 4:45 pm

Smokeyr67 wrote:I’ve got a metal tin of AP-50 sitting in the cupboard, it must be at least 15 years old, do you think I could sell it as antique and get $5k for it?


Would it be still safe to use? :P
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 376
New South Wales

Re: Pistol Powder !

Post by Smokeyr67 » 14 Apr 2022, 1:14 am

jwai86 wrote:
Smokeyr67 wrote:I’ve got a metal tin of AP-50 sitting in the cupboard, it must be at least 15 years old, do you think I could sell it as antique and get $5k for it?


Would it be still safe to use? :P


I checked, it’s AP 70 N, packed in Feb 02, someone else might know if it’s safe to use, personally…I’ll give it a miss
Smokeyr67
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 4
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers