Browning Buckmark problems

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Browning Buckmark problems

Post by waytom » 05 Jun 2022, 4:50 pm

Hi guys,
I've been having trouble with my buckmark, at first the firing pin would hit the back of the round and not go off, then when trying to rack the slide and eject the round the slide would be very tight but eventually I could eject it, reload it again and it would go off.
It was sent back to the firearms dealer who apparently forwarded it to a gunsmith. I now have it back but the problem continues, the firing pin is striking the round but it doesn't go off, at least now I can rack the slide much easier ( I still feel it is still to heavy)
With all this happening I have tried five different brands of ammo but still have the same problem.
I would be very grateful if anyone has a practical solution.
Regards Wayne.
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Browning Buckmark problems

Post by dnedative » 05 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm

How old is it?
If its under 3 years old I would be sending it back to Winchester so they can figure it out.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 06 Jun 2022, 4:48 pm

It sounds like the slide is snagging on something and not going fully into battery on some cycles, that would explain it being occasionally stiff to move and the problem not being ammo brand specific. I'm assuming that the ammo that doesn't go off is showing clear signs of light strikes.
Also check the extractor claw is moving freely, that has to move as it clips over the rim when the slide closes.

I would suggest a partial takedown and check all of the metal to metal surfaces where the slide meets the frame, make sure there are no burrs or defects and I'd also suggest you give it a polish with very fine and lubricated carbide paper. I'd also recommend working some molybdenum disulfide based lubricant or assembly paste in to slick it up, preferably on the carbide paper.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by waytom » 06 Jun 2022, 5:01 pm

dnedative wrote:How old is it?
If its under 3 years old I would be sending it back to Winchester so they can figure it out.

I wish it was that easy but was bought 2nd hand through dealer and possibly much older.
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by waytom » 06 Jun 2022, 5:10 pm

rc42 wrote:It sounds like the slide is snagging on something and not going fully into battery on some cycles, that would explain it being occasionally stiff to move and the problem not being ammo brand specific. I'm assuming that the ammo that doesn't go off is showing clear signs of light strikes.
Also check the extractor claw is moving freely, that has to move as it clips over the rim when the slide closes.

I would suggest a partial takedown and check all of the metal to metal surfaces where the slide meets the frame, make sure there are no burrs or defects and I'd also suggest you give it a polish with very fine and lubricated carbide paper. I'd also recommend working some molybdenum disulfide based lubricant or assembly paste in to slick it up, preferably on the carbide paper.

Thanks rc42 It's definitely not the ammo as I have tried about six different brands now, all showing strike marks, also have looked at a lot of you tube vids without coming to a conclusion but recently looked on a forum called Rimfire Central and found that there are a lot of people having the same problem, so I'm of to try some of their suggestions(and yours) and see if we get an improvement, Thanks again, cheers Wayne,
waytom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers