WA, 45. ACP Semi Auto, legit for Metallic Silhouette?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

WA, 45. ACP Semi Auto, legit for Metallic Silhouette?

Post by the_move » 06 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

Hi!

As a foreigner, who is soon going to move to WA, I am not yet fully aware of all of Australian law, especially when it comes to each particular state. My issue is the following:

I wonder if I can bring over my .45 semi-auto pistol, or if I have to sell it. I know that WA IPSC WA does not allow .45 ACP to be used. That leaves only Metallic Silhouhette, but this is regularly shot with center contenders. It makes me wonder, though if WA does have the same kind of "loop hole" this fellow from Brisbane discribed 4 years ago:

KaptainM wrote:Hi Andrew,
I have a Glock 21 (45 ACP). All I did was join a club in Brisbane that shoots Metallic Silhouette and asked them for a club approval form. No questions asked why. I was mocked a little for my choice of 45 (Glock) but that's about it. My PTA took 8 working days. This was about 18 months ago.
I just have to do the additional 4 competition shoots but that's fine. Hope that helps.

Does anyone have experience in that particular field, respectively can tell me, if from a legal standpoint this could also be pulled off in WA.

Thanks!
the_move
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA, 45. ACP Semi Auto, legit for Metallic Silhouette?

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jul 2022, 9:51 pm

G'day mate,
Yes, WA will issue Licences for 45's to be used in Handgun Metallic Silhouette. The most appropriate comp would be Field Pistol which is shot out to 100 yards using centrefire handguns. There may be some issues with bringing your firearms so I suggest you contact an approved club early to avoid hassles. As a start you should try ihms@ssaawa.org.au for info on this matter, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by the_move » 09 Jul 2022, 12:59 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day mate,
Yes, WA will issue Licences for 45's to be used in Handgun Metallic Silhouette. The most appropriate comp would be Field Pistol which is shot out to 100 yards using centrefire handguns. There may be some issues with bringing your firearms so I suggest you contact an approved club early to avoid hassles. As a start you should try ihms@ssaawa.org.au for info on this matter, Cheers.

Hi, there! I had contacted those before, but they would not give me any information whether they would accept my firearm, like it had been with the aforementioned fellow and his Glock 21 in Brisbane, or if there were stricter guidelines by WA law, or in their association's charter, which would specifically prevent/prohibit that.

But thank you for your response.
the_move
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 10 Jul 2022, 8:42 pm

In reality it would be way too hard to import your 45 ACP semi auto and it would be wiser to sell it and start anew when you are established here.

YES, there is absolutely no problem licencing a 45acp semi auto in WA for Club Metallic Silhouette. There are many using 45 ACP's in my Clubs metallic comps. But the above info re using it for Field Pistol is incorrect. It can only be used in Metallic as Metallic and Single Action are the only two disciplines in the WA Firearms Act that allow the use of 45 calibre pistols/revolvers.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Sarco » 10 Jul 2022, 10:40 pm

I would have thought that Field Pistol - full name - Metallic Silhouette - Field Pistol (MS - FP) would be OK for 45ACP in WA.

Personally I suggest it is not really viable for good scores, out to 100M, but each to their own.
I, in the past, used a Springfield 1911 in 45ACP for MS FP, but was able to pick up a Thompson Contender G2 with 44Mag, 357Mag and 22RF barrels as they are better suited to the various MS matches so I moved the Springfield on.

In Vic 45ACP is not really an issue as there are a number of matches beside MS that allow it.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by the_move » 11 Jul 2022, 12:26 am

1886 wrote:In reality it would be way too hard to import your 45 ACP semi auto and it would be wiser to sell it and start anew when you are established here.
YES, there is absolutely no problem licencing a 45acp semi auto in WA for Club Metallic Silhouette. There are many using 45 ACP's in my Clubs metallic comps. But the above info re using it for Field Pistol is incorrect. It can only be used in Metallic as Metallic and Single Action are the only two disciplines in the WA Firearms Act that allow the use of 45 calibre pistols/revolvers.

Sarco wrote:I would have thought that Field Pistol - full name - Metallic Silhouette - Field Pistol (MS - FP) would be OK for 45ACP in WA.
Personally I suggest it is not really viable for good scores, out to 100M, but each to their own.
I, in the past, used a Springfield 1911 in 45ACP for MS FP, but was able to pick up a Thompson Contender G2 with 44Mag, 357Mag and 22RF barrels as they are better suited to the various MS matches so I moved the Springfield on.
In Vic 45ACP is not really an issue as there are a number of matches beside MS that allow it.

Thank you very much for the input. Well, I would not spare the expense regarding the import of the gun, as I most likely won't be able to (re-)buy the same type of weapon in Australia, and for particular reasons I would like to hold on to it.

I've read about the Metallic Silhouette Unlimited category ("anything goes"), Would that be the category to go for, or which specific disciplines/categories do technically allow the usage of a .45 ACP semi-auto in WA?
the_move
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by 1886 » 11 Jul 2022, 11:55 am

I don't shoot MS so basically I have no idea of their specific categories other than I know they use 45 ACP's as guys who shoot in my discipline also shoot MS and have 45 ACP's. I know they also use 45/70 and 460 Weatherby magnums revolvers and suchlike, which I assume would be in the unlimited class you mention. I doubt a 45 ACP would be used in that class as they shoot out to 200 yards.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jul 2022, 5:14 pm

1886 wrote:I don't shoot MS so basically I have no idea of their specific categories other than I know they use 45 ACP's as guys who shoot in my discipline also shoot MS and have 45 ACP's. I know they also use 45/70 and 460 Weatherby magnums revolvers and suchlike, which I assume would be in the unlimited class you mention. I doubt a 45 ACP would be used in that class as they shoot out to 200 yards.

As you say, you don't shoot it so don't know it well. Field Pistol IS IHMSA Metallic Silhouette shooting, it is one of 3 Comps in the Discipline, the other 2 being Big Bore and Small Bore. There are 4 categories of handgun used which are Production, Revolver, Standing and Unlimited. The Colt 1911 in 45ACP is best suited for Production, Field Pistol, which is shot on 3/4 size targets out to 100 yards. Despite what some may think the 1911 is more than capable of holding it's own in that division, I have shot into the low 30's with mine as well as with a Ballester, and I have seen several 40/40 scores made with stock 1911's using 240g Ball, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 11 Jul 2022, 8:37 pm

It might also be worth your while to appraise yourself of the Rules https://ihmsa.org/uploads/3/4/4/0/34407 ... k_2022.pdf . Handy to be able to answer questions from popo at the time of obtaining licence and acquisition.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 1886 » 11 Jul 2022, 8:45 pm

No1Mk3 wrote: As you say, you don't shoot it so don't know it well.

FFS dude his initial question related to using a 45 ACP in WA, which I advised in the affirmative.

Yep, I don't follow MS but knowing a 45 ACP I doubted it would be used or appropriate in MS Unlimited as the OP suggested as our guys shoot out to 200yds in that class and you seem to agree The Colt 1911 in 45ACP is best suited for Production,......... which is shot on 3/4 size targets out to 100 yards. I did not insinuate anything more.

Yes, I advised I don't follow MS but AFAIK there is also a specific Field Pistol discipline in WA that uses a variety of firearms including shotguns and rifles that are not associated with MS and 45's are not permitted should the OP get side tracked. F...me
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jul 2022, 9:38 pm

1886 wrote:

FFS dude his initial question related to using a 45 ACP in WA, which I advised in the affirmative.

Yep, I don't follow MS but knowing a 45 ACP I doubted it would be used or appropriate in MS Unlimited as the OP suggested as our guys shoot out to 200yds in that class and you seem to agree The Colt 1911 in 45ACP is best suited for Production,......... which is shot on 3/4 size targets out to 100 yards. I did not insinuate anything more.

Yes, I advised I don't follow MS but AFAIK there is also a specific Field Pistol discipline in WA that uses a variety of firearms including shotguns and rifles that are not associated with MS and 45's are not permitted should the OP get side tracked. F...me

The initial post was referencing 45ACP and Metallic Silhouette re:WA Law, which I answered including a suggestion of which MS comp (Field Pistol) would be suitable for 1911's, which I shoot regularly. OP did not reference any particular grade of MS, certainly not Unlimited, so an answer that included a MS comp suitable was correct and appropriate to the context, your reply saying that Field Pistol, was not allowed was, in that context, wrong. By your own admission you are not overly familiar with IHMSA , so I answered to clarify. Your somewhat childish and abusive response seems to indicate an immature attitude not consistant with someone who should own a firearm, so I wish you a happy life and wil ignore you hence.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by the_move » 11 Jul 2022, 11:20 pm

So, basically I should look for MS production and comp/field pistol then. Unlimited is unwise, because of the 200 yards distance. Thanks a lot, mates!
the_move
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:58 am

1886 wrote:

.45ACP might not be competitive, but unless it's actually excluded then it is another option he has to keep his current pistol.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 1886 » 12 Jul 2022, 9:00 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:.....OP did not reference any particular grade of MS, certainly not Unlimited.......;

O Boy. They say it can make you blind.
the_move wrote:............I've read about the Metallic Silhouette Unlimited category ("anything goes"), Would that be the category to go for, or which specific disciplines/categories do technically allow the usage of a .45 ACP semi-auto in WA?

No1Mk3 wrote:..... your reply saying that Field Pistol, was not allowed was, in that context, wrong.

You seem to be easily confused. Did you not read what I said. My separate reference to Field Pistol is because some WA Clubs have a specific discipline called Field Pistol but 45's are not permitted in case he confuses this with MS Field Pistol which allows 45's.

LOL, you're last comment certainly spells out whose being childish.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ob1 » 12 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm

I'm assuming that you are aware that most clubs will want you to be a probationary member, then full member, then you wait six months to apply for a pistol, then you wait several months for the police to approve your application. Say, eight months from first being accepted as a member. In the meantime, the firearm and any magazines, brass, etc will have to be exported/imported by a licensed person (who will need to be paid) then stored for the eight months (also with fees to be paid). This may vary a little between clubs, but seems likely.

Or, just sell it then buy something new when you are able to licence a pistol. Seems to be a simpler process.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by the_move » 14 Jul 2022, 4:08 pm

ob1 wrote:I'm assuming that you are aware that most clubs will want you to be a probationary member, then full member, then you wait six months to apply for a pistol, then you wait several months for the police to approve your application. Say, eight months from first being accepted as a member. In the meantime, the firearm and any magazines, brass, etc will have to be exported/imported by a licensed person (who will need to be paid) then stored for the eight months (also with fees to be paid). This may vary a little between clubs, but seems likely.

Or, just sell it then buy something new when you are able to licence a pistol. Seems to be a simpler process.

As mentioned before selling and buying new is not an option, since I won't be able to buy an equivalent in Australia. But thank you for your suggestion.
the_move
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers