Best pistol to buy in 9mm.

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Best pistol to buy in 9mm.

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jul 2022, 8:00 pm

jwai86 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The Beretta 92 series, I have shot plenty over the years. Do not currently own one but they can be fine. People either seem to love or hate em though.

The Beretta 92 series doesn't seem that popular in Australia given how often people try to get rid of them on the local used market.

I never found the M92 to be comfortable in my hand, or very naturally "pointable". As stated though, some people love the design. I don't believe I ever handled one until after I damaged my hand so it might just be due my specific injuries.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jul 2022, 2:41 am

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The Beretta 92 series, I have shot plenty over the years. Do not currently own one but they can be fine. People either seem to love or hate em though.

The Beretta 92 series doesn't seem that popular in Australia given how often people try to get rid of them on the local used market.

I never found the M92 to be comfortable in my hand, or very naturally "pointable". As stated though, some people love the design. I don't believe I ever handled one until after I damaged my hand so it might just be due my specific injuries.

Yes, the 92 seems to be one of those love it or hate it things. A lot of US troops hated the M9(Beretta 92)

One of my favorite handguns is the Italian police surplus Beretta 81 in 32 ACP I got a few years ago. It's a sized down 92 type design.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tb65 » 22 Jul 2022, 7:52 am

jwai86 wrote:

I changed the hammer spring in mine to a lighter one made by Wilson Combat and it made a huge difference to the double action trigger pull. Worth the $10 spent. They also do a complete spring kit which you can get here for about $50 that I think might make a huge difference to the pistol. Seems many people in the US customise their Beretta 92FS, which isn't costly to do over there. Seems like those customisations make them a very good sports pistol. The ones I have seen here for resale seem like factory standard. The reviews on the Beretta 92X Performance seem very positive and on par with the CZ Shadow 2. I think if it were available at the time I bought, I would've bought it instead of the 92FS and then wouldn't have to upgrade a thing.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ob1 » 22 Jul 2022, 11:55 am

Learning consistent trigger control is going to be your biggest hurdle.

Revolver - forget it unless you are going to shoot a match that is limited to revolvers or does not require fast reloads.

Double action / striker (like CZ etc) - IPSC Production class requires a first trigger pull that is a specific weight and type. This is the major reason for people buying Shadow, etc to meet Production rules, not because the gun is the easiest to use or most accurate. CZ etc can be used in other matches and classes, so lots of utility there. If you want to have the widest range of options, CZ etc makes sense but will be a bit harder to master than single action. Avoid Berettas, which are attractive to newbies, then they find that there are good reasons why almost nobody else uses them.

If you do not have to meet specific rules about first trigger pull, then single action guns like 1911 / 2011 are the easiest to learn trigger control. You can shoot major power factor instead of being limited to minor with CZ etc. They cannot be used in popular Production class, so that limits their utility if you are going to shoot IPSC matches.

So, single action is easiest to learn and master, double action/striker offers the most utility for a wide range of matches. Take your pick.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by dnedative » 22 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm

Revolvers are good fun but, not sure what attendances are like in WA but plenty of people here buy them and shoot the odd match because its fun to do something different. Learning trigger and gun control on a double action revolver will allow you to shoot just about anything really well.

The tuned 92's are good, I think a lot of people buy and sell 92FS's because its the token entry pistol and they soon realise its actually not that good for target shooting.
Not a bad service gun and they are dead reliable I guess.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 24 Jul 2022, 2:35 pm

wanneroo wrote:If size and weight is no concern, you can't go wrong with any of the Sig P220 series, the 220, 226 or 227.

The P226 can be found in Australia, but they aren't widely sold here, and the ones that you can find are usually the very expensive customised variants. Local aftermarket support for the P226 also appears to be lacking.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 03 Oct 2022, 10:34 am

How do people rate the Walther PDP vs the Canik Rival as a first 9mm pistol? Both similar prices and it seems one is a knock off of the other.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 04 Oct 2022, 8:12 am

Woden wrote:How do people rate the Walther PDP vs the Canik Rival as a first 9mm pistol? Both similar prices and it seems one is a knock off of the other.

Are you shooting in a competition format that specifically requires polymer handguns?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Woden » 04 Oct 2022, 4:35 pm

No. I'm not serious enough to fork out nearly 3 grand for a pistol when a polymer will do the job just as well.
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Oct 2022, 12:31 am

ob1 wrote:Revolver - forget it unless you are going to shoot a match that is limited to revolvers or does not require fast reloads.

Unless you actually like the idea of a revolver. As for speed of reload, I beg to differ. With practice you can be very fast. That said, 9mm revolvers are out there but not very common in my experience.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bullzeye » 05 Oct 2022, 9:16 am

For target shooting it has to be the CZ Shadow. Either version 1 or 2 is fine.

Glock isn't really a target pistol. It can be accurate, but the CZ is accurate even for a novice shooter.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 10:58 am

Diamond Jim wrote:
ob1 wrote:Revolver - forget it unless you are going to shoot a match that is limited to revolvers or does not require fast reloads.

Unless you actually like the idea of a revolver. As for speed of reload, I beg to differ. With practice you can be very fast. That said, 9mm revolvers are out there but not very common in my experience.

Agreed, revolvers are bloody good fun. Shooting matches is a legal requirement only, you don't have to try to win them :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 05 Oct 2022, 12:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:Agreed, revolvers are bloody good fun. Shooting matches is a legal requirement only, you don't have to try to win them :-)

They at least turn heads when everyone on the range is using .22 LR or 9mm and then someone suddenly lets loose with .357 Magnum :D

However, the centrefire pistol matches my club runs have timed rounds. I'm not terribly confident I could run a DA revolver trigger fast enough to meet the shorter time limits. I also haven't attempted to try holding up one of the club's 6" revolvers with my left hand for the rounds that require shooting using your weaker hand.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by fefris » 19 Oct 2022, 5:25 pm

Funny the revolver hate. Service pistol which has rounds down to 4 seconds for 6 shots has the highly successful shooters all shooting revolvers.

The reload with a speed loader can easy be as fast as a mag change with practise. Saying that I own a shadow 2... :D
fefris
Recruit
Recruit

-

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers