Ruger Mark IV Picatinny Rail

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger Mark IV Picatinny Rail

Post by tb65 » 19 Jul 2022, 4:38 pm

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced source of these? I have seen US sites selling original Ruger rails as cheap as US$14.95 while the cheapest I can find in Australia is over $50 and they want $20 for parcel post. One shop quoted me $70 but nobody else seems to have any. Seems way too expensive for what it is.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Ruger Mark IV Picatinny Rail

Post by deye243 » 19 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

Walk into any gun shop and just a basic picatinny rail for something as popular as a Remington 700 or a howa or even a Tikka is 100 + dollars
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 19 Jul 2022, 8:26 pm

Big Mortgages and Dodge Rams gotta be paid for ;) :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 19 Jul 2022, 8:32 pm

Billo wrote:Big Mortgages and Dodge Rams gotta be paid for ;) :drinks:

Yes I drive around my small seaside village and see at least 50% living far beyond their means the next couple of years will probably see 30% of them go belly up no sympathy whatsoever
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tb65 » 20 Jul 2022, 11:40 am

I suppose I'll just have to live with the fact that the price of living in Australia is to be ripped off for anything I buy.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 20 Jul 2022, 3:09 pm

tb65 wrote:I suppose I'll just have to live with the fact that the price of living in Australia is to be ripped off for anything I buy.

I realised that over 30 years ago
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tb65 » 20 Jul 2022, 3:36 pm

deye243 wrote:
tb65 wrote:I suppose I'll just have to live with the fact that the price of living in Australia is to be ripped off for anything I buy.

I realised that over 30 years ago

The only thing I can think of that my American colleagues pay more than me for is health insurance but ours is starting to climb in recent years so maybe not for much longer.

I think I will just wait until my next US trip and buy over there what I can legally bring in. Just need to research what's allowed and what's not.
tb65
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jul 2022, 4:47 pm

Have you asked your dealer if they can order you the OEM Ruger one? US$15 is likely to equate to $40-50 by the time you order here though I would think, and likely at least the same if you can order it out of the US - US shipping is outrageous at the moment. They're available on Ebay US for US$30 as well.

This place says they have it in stock here - $55 plus post.
https://theoutpostarms.com.au/ruger-picatinny-rail-mark-iv-mark-iii-and-22-45/

Brownells have this - https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/handgun-bases/ruger-mark-series-shadow-picatinny-rail-prod113530.aspx - so you could order it through Brownells.com.au, but US$34 plus post is going to be more expensive than the local one.

I would just order the local one.

Otherwise order a curved rail from Ebay and make it fit your pistol.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/194160583432
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jul 2022, 8:10 pm

I think pic rails should be sold by the meter ocassionally I need al long one instead of the usual 125 mm. ESP if mounting a thermal. So just chop to desire length. Shape the base and drill your own holes . BINGO No ordering driving or waiting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by djmm » 08 Mar 2023, 7:29 pm

What do you plan to put on the rail if I may ask?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2023, 3:31 am

Blr243 wrote:I think pic rails should be sold by the meter ocassionally I need al long one instead of the usual 125 mm. ESP if mounting a thermal. So just chop to desire length. Shape the base and drill your own holes . BINGO No ordering driving or waiting

For sure, at Bunnings. Just cut of how many meters you need.

I’ve drilled my own but if you are out by a bees dick you might cross thread a hole in your receiver. Do you have the right tool to counter sink the same as the bugle head screw. Learn from my mistakes. Don’t do it. This isn’t a job for your ryobi .
(Not meaning you blr, just generalising the average punter.)

I’d buy the right part and probably go with brownells or a Canadian site.
Unfortunately our dollar sucks atm.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2023, 11:00 am

womble wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I think pic rails should be sold by the meter ocassionally I need al long one instead of the usual 125 mm. ESP if mounting a thermal. So just chop to desire length. Shape the base and drill your own holes . BINGO No ordering driving or waiting

For sure, at Bunnings. Just cut of how many meters you need.

I’ve drilled my own but if you are out by a bees dick you might cross thread a hole in your receiver. Do you have the right tool to counter sink the same as the bugle head screw. Learn from my mistakes. Don’t do it. This isn’t a job for your ryobi .
(Not meaning you blr, just generalising the average punter.)

I’d buy the right part and probably go with brownells or a Canadian site.
Unfortunately our dollar sucks atm.

Years ago I ordered a pile of rails bulk, with flat and curved bottoms, in 300mm, 200mm, 150mm, 127mm, and 100mm lengths.

If you don't have hole transfer punches, grind a point on an extra screw. Some actions let you access at least one of the holes from underneath, so put a pointed screw in from the bottom until it's about a quarter-millimeter above the top surface. Drill one of the holes in the rail (it'll likely have at least one hole you can use already. Mount the rail with the one good screw hole and as you tighten it down the pointed screw will put a dint in the bottom of the rail for drilling. If you can't access from the bottom cut the head off the screw after grinding it to a point. Put it into the hole so it's slightly high and do the same. You'll have to tweak it out though so spend some time cleaning the threads of the hole until the screw goes in and out very easily.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by niteowl » 11 Mar 2023, 11:15 am

This is an old post, but we hear this same complaint about our prices all the time. Nobody understands what it takes to come up with pricing here.

First up say the item in the US is $15 US, OK, now when you convert the money to $Au (current exchange rate) that price is now $23.80, plus GST and is now $26.19. On top of that you have postage from the US, say $20 ?? Total $46.19. Exchange rate you see on telly every night is not the rate when money is paid out of the country!

Now if you expect a local dealer to order you one, do you expect him to do so at his cost of the time for nothing to do so? OK say it takes him 30 minutes, that is 30 minutes to do the paperwork for your order out of his days work. Do you work for 30 minutes and not expect to be paid?

As well as all that, consider that in the US firearm related items sell in their hundreds at discount prices, not like over here. So if a dealer has one here in stock, how long does it sit on his shelf to be sold, and how many different items does he need have to satisfy EVERY possible sale?

Having said all that, there is one major importer in Australia that has things tied up so much (can't discuss this in detail here) that DOES rip the Australian user off.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers