WA Pistol Carbine Kits

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

WA Pistol Carbine Kits

Post by DecaHex » 09 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm

Hi, I heard from a couple of people that in WA, you are allowed to own and use pistol carbine conversion kits (for shooting on ranges, not for competition). Would anyone be able to confirm this please?
Enthusiast of meme guns
DecaHex
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA Pistol Carbine Kits

Post by lcpltac » 10 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

From the Firearms Amendment Act 2022

prohibited firearm accessory means any of the
following —
(d) a device commonly known as a chassis carbine
kit, that alters a firearm in such a way that the
category of firearm to which the firearm
belongs under the regulations is altered;

So no go is my understanding
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2022, 10:47 am

lcpltac wrote:From the Firearms Amendment Act 2022

prohibited firearm accessory means any of the
following —
(d) a device commonly known as a chassis carbine
kit, that alters a firearm in such a way that the
category of firearm to which the firearm
belongs under the regulations is altered;

So no go is my understanding

I doubt a chassis kit changes a CatH pistol into a different category though, unless it makes it long enough to become a "rifle".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by lcpltac » 10 Aug 2022, 2:07 pm

It’s in the name, it’s a carbine kit, carbine being a term for a short rifle. Without a stock it might pass as a giant heavy pistol, but what would be the point? Stick a stock on it and you’ve got a short rifle.
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2022, 5:07 pm

lcpltac wrote:It’s in the name, it’s a carbine kit, carbine being a term for a short rifle. Without a stock it might pass as a giant heavy pistol, but what would be the point? Stick a stock on it and you’ve got a short rifle.

There is no category as carbine in our laws, it's either a pistol or a rifle, if it's too short to fit into "rifle" then it's still a pistol.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 Aug 2022, 8:31 pm

WA is different. I seriously doubt WAPOL would allow a conversion kit or anything like a shoulder stock that effectively creates a short barrelled rifle. An email to WAPOL would give you the definitive answer.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2022, 9:42 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:WA is different. I seriously doubt WAPOL would allow a conversion kit or anything like a shoulder stock that effectively creates a short barrelled rifle. An email to WAPOL would give you the definitive answer.

Yes, WA is very likely entirely down to what the Police allow, regardless of whether it complies with or breaches the actual laws. I would think the chassis itself is probably unregulated but combining it with a handgun may well create an illegal situation. If nothing else, it very likely makes the firearm no longer eligible for whatever competition you used as your genuine need to own it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by linkoln » 15 Aug 2022, 1:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
lcpltac wrote:It’s in the name, it’s a carbine kit, carbine being a term for a short rifle. Without a stock it might pass as a giant heavy pistol, but what would be the point? Stick a stock on it and you’ve got a short rifle.

There is no category as carbine in our laws, it's either a pistol or a rifle, if it's too short to fit into "rifle" then it's still a pistol.

There is one more category "refused classification" if it looks too scary they will ban it.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers