WA Club Support

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

WA Club Support

Post by Bazz » 15 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a question today regarding club support. I've been thinking about committing to the road to category H but have only been punching paper targets at the various places I've been to over the years. I've also attended (spectator) an IPSC training day at PVPC which obviously looks like solid fun as well, although notably more expensive.

My question is, if I go down the road of club support with a traditional target shooting club, are there any options to switch clubs in a few years if my interests / time / hidden money from the wife change (i.e. towards IPSC)? Or is the club support and mandatory shoots basically tied to the pistol / reason for ownership?

Thought it might be rude to ask the club if I can leave if my interests gravitate towards another discipline down the track...

Cheers!
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA Club Support

Post by ob1 » 15 Aug 2022, 6:47 pm

There is no problem being in several clubs across different disciplines at the same time.

You need to complete the training and safety courses for each association, they seldom grant exemptions, so one course will not fit all clubs.

Your main club will provide gun support and you can use that gun across associations approved by WAPOL. If you are going to leave your main club you must transfer gun support to another association and this may require you to have 6 / 12 months membership before gun support will be provided. Dual gun support is possible, mine is approved for IPSC and SSAA clubs. What you should not do is to quit one club before serving the required time at your next club, otherwise you will find that you have no gun support and you will have to start the process from scratch.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bazz » 17 Aug 2022, 12:20 am

Thanks for the informative and helpful reply ob1. Seems like a logical setup with holding a few memberships.

Cheers
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 24 Aug 2022, 8:46 pm

I'd add that if you have different handguns for use in different disciplines you'll have to meet mandatory attendance requirements for each discipline. So, for instance, if you have a dedicated target revolver for an Olympic type discipline supported by one club and a semi-auto for IPSC supported by another club you'd have to attend at least four club shoots in each - a minimum of eight shoots per year. If you have a revolver and semi-auto (or two revolvers or two semis) both suitable for IPSC and both supported by the same club you have to attend a minimum of six club shoots in that discipline.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Florey55 » 27 Aug 2022, 4:44 pm

"hidden money from the wife"

Hahaha - you are a very bad man !
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales