General Maintenance

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

General Maintenance

Post by b066y » 01 Dec 2022, 12:35 pm

Hi all,

When you're putting a gun away for awhile, do you oil it up? What sort of maintenance do you do before it gets put away? I don't plan on shooting during summer so they won't be in use for a few months.

Thanks.
Bob
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: General Maintenance

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2022, 1:50 pm

Depends on your climate a bit.

Run over bolt, barrel and action with an oily rag. I mostly use lanox or equivalent.

If you like remove stock do same underneath with grease, heavier oil or some use various waxes. Or lanox if you like.

Run a lightly oiled jag through the barrel. But ensure you dry out before next use.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 01 Dec 2022, 5:57 pm

images (2) (25).jpeg
images (2) (25).jpeg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 02 Dec 2022, 4:05 pm

Oil of any kind tends to dry up and run off over time . What I do is clean the bore and chamber really well , get out all the copper you can within reason . Use high temp bearing grease inside the bore and chamber applied using a loose patch so it leaves a coating .
Get a brush with short fairly stiff bristles and paint grease onto the metalwork in a very thin layer , getting into all the screw heads nooks and crannies etc. Stay away from the scopes lenses and moving parts , just do the rings . The grease will stay on the gun for a very long time and even when it does dry out it is still a rust preventing coating . Oil is the enemy of accuracy because it eventually seeps down into the bedding and softens wood stocks and rots non metal bedding materials . It can also pool under recoil lugs and action base flats and cause loss of accuracy . For long term storage in any conditions think grease not oil . Attach a tag to the gun that reminds you to patch out the chamber and bore before you fire it again .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2022, 5:12 pm

JohnV wrote:Oil of any kind tends to dry up and run off over time . What I do is clean the bore and chamber really well , get out all the copper you can within reason . Use high temp bearing grease inside the bore and chamber applied using a loose patch so it leaves a coating .
Get a brush with short fairly stiff bristles and paint grease onto the metalwork in a very thin layer , getting into all the screw heads nooks and crannies etc. Stay away from the scopes lenses and moving parts , just do the rings . The grease will stay on the gun for a very long time and even when it does dry out it is still a rust preventing coating . Oil is the enemy of accuracy because it eventually seeps down into the bedding and softens wood stocks and rots non metal bedding materials . It can also pool under recoil lugs and action base flats and cause loss of accuracy . For long term storage in any conditions think grease not oil . Attach a tag to the gun that reminds you to patch out the chamber and bore before you fire it again .

Yep, I use tags also.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 03 Dec 2022, 6:02 am

A trick you can use so a gun can be quickly used is only use light oil in the barrel and leave a pull through in the bore with the patch sitting in the chamber .
You can grab the gun rip the pull through out and whack the mag in and your good to rock and roll .
I used this in basic training to always have a pristine dust free bore on parade . The instructors could not work out how I did it .
A thin coating of oil in the bore that has dried out over many months is less of a bulging risk than grease is. So I attach tag just incase I forget .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by b066y » 07 Dec 2022, 11:12 am

Hey thanks everyone. Appreciate the tips.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers