Questions re: methods of storing handguns in a safe

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Questions re: methods of storing handguns in a safe

Post by jwai86 » 09 Dec 2022, 4:17 pm

For the purposes of preventing corrosion, is it okay to store a handgun in its own hard case before putting the lot inside a safe? How does it compare to storing one inside a gun sock?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Questions re: methods of storing handguns in a safe

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Dec 2022, 7:21 pm

I just put them in the ammo locker, wipe with a slightly oil damp cloth and that's it. The cases take up too much room.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 10 Dec 2022, 6:53 am

I "oil" it lightly with lithium grease, cover in tablet bag with inside pre oiled. Tablet covers are like $5 at dollar shop, comes in different sizes too. For long term storage of my Luger and broom handles, I would oil, put in ziplock back and then tablet cover. The ziplock thing must be done on a dry day, no point doing that at 99%RH.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Clintwoodz » 19 Dec 2022, 11:57 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:I just put them in the ammo locker, wipe with a slightly oil damp cloth and that's it. The cases take up too much room.

I have cat a&b lokaway safe and it has ammo storage inside. (LOK4DK-HSP model) When I eventually get my own handgun, can I store handgun inside there?

jwai86 wrote:For the purposes of preventing corrosion

I had difficulty getting rid of moisture even with dehumidifiers so I put velcro tape around outside the door (not on door itself) just enough to touch the door to slow moisture creeping in and also put 2 rechargeable dehumidifiers inside, now inside safe always stays below 50% humidity.
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Dec 2022, 12:41 am

Clintwoodz wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:I just put them in the ammo locker, wipe with a slightly oil damp cloth and that's it. The cases take up too much room.

I have cat a&b lokaway safe and it has ammo storage inside. (LOK4DK-HSP model) When I eventually get my own handgun, can I store handgun inside the

G'day Clintwoodz,
As long as you don't keep ammo in there, yes. I keep all my ammo in a heavy duty metal locker in another room so I can utilize the in-built locker in the safe to put handguns.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Clintwoodz » 22 Dec 2022, 12:10 am

Thanks that's a great info, hope the storage law don't get more stricter in the future
Clintwoodz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by seedyrom » 12 Jan 2023, 6:37 am

Clintwoodz wrote:I have cat a&b lokaway safe and it has ammo storage inside. (LOK4DK-HSP model) When I eventually get my own handgun, can I store handgun inside there?

Hey mate, I believe that is a Cat A/B safe (as far as NSW licensing goes). It is a 2mm body and 3mm door.

In NSW the legislation regarding the safe storage of pistols is (amongst other requirements):
The minimum standards, as determined by the Commissioner of Police for the safe to be approved are as follows:
• The safe should be constructed of structural grade 250 mild steel conforming with AS3679 and be not less than 6mm in thickness for pistols and 3mm for longarms and be constructed with continuous welding on all external edges; and
• It should be fitted with a door not less than 6mm thick, swung on either concealed pivots, or externally mounted sealed end hinges welded to the door and body of the safe, with a clearance round the door of not more than 1mm;

Though I’m not sure where you live.

I’m pretty sure in QLD the law states that the sock drawer is fine, so long as it’s up the back and there is at least two pairs of thick, hiking socks obscuring the pistol from a cursory glance.
seedyrom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jan 2023, 9:05 pm

seedyrom wrote:
Clintwoodz wrote:I have cat a&b lokaway safe and it has ammo storage inside. (LOK4DK-HSP model) When I eventually get my own handgun, can I store handgun inside there?

Hey mate, I believe that is a Cat A/B safe (as far as NSW licensing goes). It is a 2mm body and 3mm door.

In NSW the legislation regarding the safe storage of pistols is (amongst other requirements):
The minimum standards, as determined by the Commissioner of Police for the safe to be approved are as follows:
• The safe should be constructed of structural grade 250 mild steel conforming with AS3679 and be not less than 6mm in thickness for pistols and 3mm for longarms and be constructed with continuous welding on all external edges; and
• It should be fitted with a door not less than 6mm thick, swung on either concealed pivots, or externally mounted sealed end hinges welded to the door and body of the safe, with a clearance round the door of not more than 1mm;

Though I’m not sure where you live

I’m pretty sure in QLD the law states that the sock drawer is fine, so long as it’s up the back and there is at least two pairs of thick, hiking socks obscuring the pistol from a cursory glance.

G'day seedyrom,
OP is in Victoria, you must be on your phone? I understand phones, and maybe tablets, won't show the posters State. Here Cat A/B safes are legal for handguns also.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by seedyrom » 13 Jan 2023, 5:45 am

No1Mk3 wrote:
seedyrom wrote:G'day seedyrom,
OP is in Victoria, you must be on your phone? I understand phones, and maybe tablets, won't show the posters State. Here Cat A/B safes are legal for handguns also.

Busted :D
I was on the bus at the time.

Interesting to hear the different national rules on safe storage.
I’m a NSW newbie to the sport, so am only familiar with our fair state’s regulations.

If they ever do introduce a national standard for safe firearm storage, it would be interesting to see which current standard to go with. Though, let’s be honest, they aren’t going to suddenly lessen the requirements for New South Welshmen.
seedyrom
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by snag » 15 Jan 2023, 9:20 pm

seedyrom wrote:

Well, yes, the sock drawer will do in a pinch, but serious Qld handgun owners go for the added security of the undie drawer.
Personally speaking, I find that a couple of rows of stained xxl grandfather y-fronts creates an impenetrable barrier against your garden variety bad guy.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers