1911 Conversion Kit .45ACP to .22LR

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

1911 Conversion Kit .45ACP to .22LR

Post by LongShot » 04 Jan 2023, 7:34 pm

Hello, hope someone can clarify this given the rising costs of .45ACP ammo.

What does a .22LR conversion kit on a 1911 .45ACP classify as in a shoot? Given that it can only ever be shot at a club range. Can it be used in a competition or only practice? If so, how is this recorded? Is it recorded as a .22LR (cat 2) or .45ACP (cat 4) shoot? How does this get recorded as the serial number of the handgun does not change with or without the conversion kit?

Thanks in advance.
LongShot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 1911 Conversion Kit .45ACP to .22LR

Post by AS30N » 09 Jan 2023, 9:26 am

I don't know which state you are in, so I can't tell about the registration requirements. As for shooting a centerfire/high cal match with a 22 kit it really depends on your club admin. Never mind legal position of the conversion kits, the match rules will clearly dictate that a match must be shot with a centerfire, if the 22lr kit is used, you should get DQ and sent home before you even start shooting, period.

Now not all club will be this strict. Usually smaller clubs are more accommodating, I know many clubs will entertain the idea of someone showing up, enter the match with the right equipment, shoot one round (or even go the "oops I forgot my ammo" route) and record this match as did not finish but still counts and an attendance. This is usually for older members who can't handle full blown centerfire but would like to keep the guns they have had for ages" . Due to recent powder shortages, they may even let you shoot the when thing with a 22, just to disqualify you at the end and record as an attendance . So no point asking us, ask your club admin instead.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 09 Jan 2023, 9:35 pm

In Vic, while it is not in legislation, normally a handgun with conversion is registered as the bigger calibre. BUT that is not necessarily the only way.

However, I should think that NO club would allow you to shoot a class 2 gun and call it a class 4. You still need to do your compliment of class 4 matches/shoots
That being said there are numerous 22 matches that can be shot with a 22 semi auto (even if it is a conversion, provided it operates reliably, some don't). Thereby saving the 45ACP ammo for the ones you must do.

I have 3 Thompson Contender silhouette guns, 2 of which are registered as 22, but I have a number of conversion barrels from 22H to 44Mag. I still record the same serial number for club shoots, but, at least at my principal club, the calibre is recorded on the sign on sheet.

I suspect that if you wanted to change the calibre of registration on a 45ACP to a 22 based on a conversion, LRD may require the 45 upper to be surrendered to a dealer for destruction.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by LongShot » 11 Jan 2023, 7:01 pm

Thank you for your replies, very useful.
LongShot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers