Any owners of Voltquartsen Black Mamba?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Any owners of Voltquartsen Black Mamba?

Post by djmm » 06 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

I am thinking to get black mamba and adding a red dot on it. But from what I can see, the base will be around 22mm before the actual red dot sight, so it will sit quite high. Will it be a problem/annoying to shoot?
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Any owners of Voltquartsen Black Mamba?

Post by rc42 » 06 Mar 2023, 11:50 pm

If height of the red dot is a concern have a look at the new Mamba-X, instead of the weaver rail on the top they are flat milled with threaded optic mount holes to allow a variety of reflex sights to be directly mounted without the weaver adapter. With the right choice of ultra low profile optic these can allow mounting about as close to the bore line as any 22 is capable of.
Whatever the optic height on your pistol you'll get used to it with practice and it only matters for shoots like Steel Challenge where you need to get from low ready to dot on target as fast as possible.

The older model Mamba has iron sights and weaver rail and is available with polymer 22/45 lower or the alloy Mk IV lower of the Mamba-TF, both are awesome to use, rimfire pistols don't get any better than any of the Mamba range.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 07 Mar 2023, 6:52 am

I had a look of the Mamba X too but I much prefer the aesthetic of the Mamba and the holes also bug me a bit.
The red dot I am interested is the Aimpoint C2 which seems quite high too especially with the weaver base.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 07 Mar 2023, 12:02 pm

Unfortunately, all weaver mounted red dots sit high on pistols, the Aimpoint C2 is probably one of the lower profile options and is a good match for the Mamba as it's lightweight and won't affect the balance. Personally I find the enclosed sights look a little 'blocky' but they are easier to keep clean than open reflex dots.

I've seen people with big heavy 50mm red dot 'cans' on assorted pistols, the dot will be way above the bore line but they all work once you get used to them. The pistol will need to be held a little lower than one with iron sights so transitioning between the two types will make it harder to learn to get on target fast. Also, the holdover for very close targets will be greater if the dot is further from the bore line but you'll learn that too.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by djmm » 07 Mar 2023, 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input. Like you said, I think as long as it doesn't affect balance it should be fine. As a comparison, I've looked at how Ruger tactical with scope sits and it seems that it's even higher compared to Mamba.
djmm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers