Looking to buy my first revolver - recommends

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Looking to buy my first revolver - recommends

Post by Zappa » 14 Apr 2023, 12:47 am

Will be shooting service at 25 and 50 meters. I already have a CZ 9mm and Ruger in 22 that i use for issf and serice.

What are some good revolvers not longer than 6inch barrel and under $1500 ? Also a 357 mag good enough or another calibre? Most of the folk shoot colts, S&W and Taurus. None of which i like. I also wooden stocks but not fussed to use polymer.

:thumbsup:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Looking to buy my first revolver - recommends

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Apr 2023, 12:35 pm

If you don't like the 3 manufacturers mentioned (you have tried every model from those makers? ie: Colt Python, Diamondback, King Cobra or S&W M14. 15, 29 etc?) then you should look at Ruger, very durable and the Security Six is relatively cheap, the GP100 has good accuracy as does the SP101. Within your price range that is about all you might find.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 14 Apr 2023, 1:25 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:ISecurity Six is relatively cheap, the GP100 has good accuracy as does the SP101.

Leaning towards the GP100 in 357. Although both the other Rugers you mention might be on my shortlist. Might buy used actually as there seem to be quite a few GP100's in VGC for under 1k.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pchmm » 14 Apr 2023, 3:08 pm

Zappa wrote:Will be shooting service at 25 and 50 meters. I already have a CZ 9mm and Ruger in 22 that i use for issf and serice.

What are some good revolvers not longer than 6inch barrel and under $1500 ? Also a 357 mag good enough or another calibre? Most of the folk shoot colts, S&W and Taurus. None of which i like. I also wooden stocks but not fussed to use polymer.

Horsley Park gun shop in NSW have new (from what I can tell) 4 inch GP100s for $1195 on their website for their stocktake sale at the moment. Although if you're shooting 50m 4 inch is probably too short.
pchmm
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2023, 5:02 pm

Zappa wrote:Will be shooting service at 25 and 50 meters. I already have a CZ 9mm and Ruger in 22 that i use for issf and serice.

Personally, the main requirement for me will be whether I like the feel of it. You are far more closely connected to a handgun than you are with a rifle, how it fits in your hand and how it points naturally for you are important considerations. I prefer the S&W ergos over the Colt for example, and never really felt comfortable with the Rugers I have handled. Some handguns I found you grip it, draw it, then have to adjust your grip before you can get a sight picture and start shooting, that's no good to me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers