Adding H to a licence, potential new owner

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Adding H to a licence, potential new owner

Post by iBear » 27 Jun 2023, 12:35 pm

Hi all, relatively new shooter in SA - have my Cat AB 1,2,3 and looking to add H class to my licence.

I am a SSAA club member and my club shoots handgun but might look to transfer to a SARPA club located closer to home.

I understand the probationary club supervised training and mandatory shoot days, then the waiting period before first purchase as well as the limitations to calibre once authorised to purchase but might need further clarification on the initial approved firearm type and storage.

Ive read the act and struggle to pull the nuts and bolts out just wanting to ask:

- would a .22LR semi auto pistol with a magazine capacity of ten or less be acceptable as first purchase?

- If so what are the limitations to the number of firearms able to be owned in this category for a first time owner with in their first year?

- at what time period are you able to acquire other categories of handgun above .22 i.e 9mm?

- are handguns required to be stored in separate safe storage to other firearms owned? Or is it acceptable for them to be stored securely alongside other firearms? I have 3mm gun safe for rifles and shotguns, bolted to the building. I also have another smaller safe in the house, not tech a gun safe but bolted to the slab.

Appreciate the help, Cheers
iBear
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Adding H to a licence, potential new owner

Post by d4n73n » 25 Jul 2023, 9:09 pm

iBear wrote:- would a .22LR semi auto pistol with a magazine capacity of ten or less be acceptable as first purchase?

It would be if ammo costs are a concern for you or if you want a great plinker, but I honestly think sticking to centrefire is best if you can't be bothered doing the extra required competition shoots every year, if that isn't an inconvenience then by all means go ahead!

iBear wrote:- If so what are the limitations to the number of firearms able to be owned in this category for a first time owner with in their first year?

I don't believe there are any restrictions when it comes to how many cat H firearms you can own. I know if you have more than 15 guns you need extra security, but I doubt you'll get to that point as a new owner hahaha.

iBear wrote:- are handguns required to be stored in separate safe storage to other firearms owned? Or is it acceptable for them to be stored securely alongside other firearms? I have 3mm gun safe for rifles and shotguns, bolted to the building. I also have another smaller safe in the house, not tech a gun safe but bolted to the slab.

Check the safe storage laws of your state, they must comply with them. I know in Vic the requirements are different so I won't be able to answer that.
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-a ... d-security
d4n73n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Adding H to a licence, potential new owner

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Jul 2023, 10:56 pm

A semi-auto 22 is perfectly acceptable, it is good practice to start with a 22 and develop good skills before moving to centrefire. In your 1st year you may only own 1 of that category, plus 1 air pistol, so either an air pistol and rimfire, or air pistol and centrefire. You may also own a black powder pistol either single shot muzzle loader or cap and ball revolver. You can store them with your other firearms in a Level 2 safe, which your 3mm safe meets.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers