Regulations on Safe Access

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Regulations on Safe Access

Post by Rider888 » 03 Aug 2023, 2:12 pm

Hoping to get some policy guidance regarding safe access.
I had the local police contact me to book a time to inspect my safe so I made a time and day that was suitable to everyone. I then asked him if I needed to be present or can my wife just do it on my behalf.
His response was that my wife should not have access to the safe.
I explained to him that my wife is also a H Cat holder but he was quite certain that she couldn't access the safe especially if the guns were not in her name.

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure he was wrong and argued that point with him. Im pretty sure that anyone who is licensed in my home can access the safe.

I was hoping to get some policy guidance on who had the correct info and I would like it from policy and not an opinion because he could argue this fact with me based on an opinion.

Thank you
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Regulations on Safe Access

Post by Jackaroo » 03 Aug 2023, 2:33 pm

Always ALWAYS be careful with dealing with an officer who doesn't know exactly the rules.....but your wife can have access and if she applies for a PTA your wife would use the same COPS Event number.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2023, 7:20 pm

Rider888 wrote:Hoping to get some policy guidance regarding safe access.
I had the local police contact me to book a time to inspect my safe so I made a time and day that was suitable to everyone. I then asked him if I needed to be present or can my wife just do it on my behalf.
I explained to him that my wife is also a H Cat holder but he was quite certain that she couldn't access the safe especially if the guns were not in her name.

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure he was wrong and argued that point with him. Im pretty sure that anyone who is licensed in my home can access the safe.

I was hoping to get some policy guidance on who had the correct info and I would like it from policy and not an opinion because he could argue this fact with me based on an opinion.

Thank you

People that have the required category licences can have access to your firearms with your permission, they can even borrow them. If you have CatH firearms in there then somebody with CatA/B, CatC, CatD, CatE, etc cannot have access to your CatH firearms.

I would email Firearms and ask them for a response in writing just in case he tries to push it when he inspects. I would hope any decent officer will go away, read the legislation, and educate himself before pushing it any further though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2023, 7:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Hoping to get some policy guidance regarding safe access.

Thank you

People that have the required category licences can have access to your firearms with your permission, they can even borrow them. If you have CatH firearms in there then somebody with CatA/B, CatC, CatD, CatE, etc cannot have access to your CatH firearms.

I would email Firearms and ask them for a response in writing just in case he tries to push it when he inspects. I would hope any decent officer will go away, read the legislation, and educate himself before pushing it any further though.

BL is IMO correct. Your Mrs can have access. However IMO don't argue the point with an idiot. Be there for the inspection. It could save you a huge migraine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 04 Aug 2023, 4:48 am

Thank you all
Rider888