Purchasing pistols interstate - QLD and VIC

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Purchasing pistols interstate - QLD and VIC

Post by AlphaJ » 21 Mar 2024, 9:05 am

Hi All. New to the forum so apologies if this has been asked and answered previously. I did look but couldn't find anything.

I am a Cat H licence holder in Victoria and I'm going on holidays to visit my brother in QLD who is also a Cat H holder. We will be doing some comps while I am there and I want to purchase one of his old handguns. Can I do it through his dealer up there and transport it back to Victoria or does it have to go through my dealer down here? He says his club can endorse a PTA up there but I don't see how it can be approved by Vic LRD that way.

Any help appreciated.
JC
(No Relation)
AlphaJ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Purchasing pistols interstate - QLD and VIC

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2024, 10:04 pm

AlphaJ wrote:Hi All. New to the forum so apologies if this has been asked and answered previously. I did look but couldn't find anything.

I am a Cat H licence holder in Victoria and I'm going on holidays to visit my brother in QLD who is also a Cat H holder. We will be doing some comps while I am there and I want to purchase one of his old handguns. Can I do it through his dealer up there and transport it back to Victoria or does it have to go through my dealer down here? He says his club can endorse a PTA up there but I don't see how it can be approved by Vic LRD that way.

Any help appreciated.

My understanding is that it will have to pass from a Qld dealer's register onto a Vic dealer's register before it can be registered to you. Just have a dealer send it down to your dealer for you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Mar 2024, 12:00 am

Victoria has reciprocal agreements to recognize Inter-State permits for personal collection only with NSW and SA. For QLD you will have to use a dealer to dealer transfer as bladeracer indicated.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 28 Mar 2024, 11:15 am

A QLD dealer will have to ship it to a VIC dealer.

Not sure if you are driving or flying but remember if you are bringing guns interstate somethings are banned in NSW that are not in QLD and VIC. IE a SIG Sauer P320 pistol is banned in NSW(because it is a 15 round mag crimped to be a 10). So I can't legally drive through NSW from QLD if I want to do a shoot in VIC. I would have to drive the long way around, fly(don't stop over in NSW) or ship the pistol to a VIC dealer.

The stupid thing is you can put a NSW banned gun in the mail and ship it to a dealer in VIC and the shipping company can drive through NSW with the truck driver not being licensed for the gun and it is legal but if you a licensed holder drive through NSW it is illegal.
alexjones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AlphaJ » 09 Apr 2024, 10:41 pm

Thanks for the responses. Cleared it up for me.
JC
(No Relation)
AlphaJ
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers