Pistol "tactical look" legalities in Victoria

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol "tactical look" legalities in Victoria

Post by JobAnth2171 » 18 Apr 2024, 2:41 pm

Hello all, just wondering what makes a pistol legal in Victoria as I was having a chat with my local dealer and he said pistol that look too "tactical" will be questioned by Police, is this true or is there a bit more to the story then just that.

Cheers
JobAnth2171
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Pistol "tactical look" legalities in Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Apr 2024, 8:39 pm

JobAnth2171 wrote:Hello all, just wondering what makes a pistol legal in Victoria as I was having a chat with my local dealer and he said pistol that look too "tactical" will be questioned by Police, is this true or is there a bit more to the story then just that.

Cheers

What is tactical about a pistol? As long as it complies with the law and your club sponsors you getting it for whatever competition you're shooting it should be fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Apr 2024, 9:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
What is tactical about a pistol?

Black, heat shields, top botton and side pic rails, holographic sight, laser sight, torch, muzzle brake, compass, bayonet, bottle opener, can opener, mobile phone holder and a rabbit trap. :thumbsup:
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 23 Apr 2024, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Apr 2024, 9:20 pm

Think your dealer is pulling your leg, no such thing as "tactical' looking handgun in Victoria or anywhere else. The restrictions on handguns are barrel length and mag capacity, with calibre over .38 needing Police permit to own and use.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Apr 2024, 9:28 pm

Yeah he is full of $@@@ if that was true you would never get any striker pistol .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 24 Apr 2024, 7:47 pm

MAC/Ingram and Uzi pistols are specifically banned (CAT R), everything else is just barrel length, calibre and mag capacity for target shooting. You can get just about anything on an appropriate collectors licence. What the dealer probably talking about is pistol chassis.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers