Colt revolvers making a comeback?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Colt revolvers making a comeback?

Post by Old Fart » 29 Sep 2014, 10:21 am

portph wrote:The blokes doing the cowboy shoots sure seem to be lovin' them :D

Basically going back to being an 8 year old kid playing cowboys and indians, except you get real shooters this time around ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by cavok » 29 Sep 2014, 11:33 am

Old Fart wrote:
portph wrote:The blokes doing the cowboy shoots sure seem to be lovin' them :D

Basically going back to being an 8 year old kid playing cowboys and indians, except you get real shooters this time around ;)

Two aspects of Western Action shooting concern me, not so much reverting back to being 8 year olds, but
1. THAT they have no component for accuracy in their matches, hit the large target is a hit.
2. the lack of power factor, it appears any load is acceptable as long as it makes it to the target, no felt recoil.

Still enjoy shooting Western Action when I have time, great bunch of people, great to be 8 years old again.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by portph » 29 Sep 2014, 11:43 am

cavok wrote:Two aspects of Western Action shooting concern me, not so much reverting back to being 8 year olds, but

1. THAT they have no component for accuracy in their matches, hit the large target is a hit.

What's wrong with that? It doesn't all have to be about clover leaf groups.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by cavok » 29 Sep 2014, 1:07 pm

portph wrote:
cavok wrote:Two aspects of Western Action shooting concern me, not so much reverting back to being 8 year olds, but

I totally agree with your post, however some accuracy component would be good, sort out those that can at least hit some type of centre on a target and those that scratch the edge, speed only counts for that much. If you shoot this style I am certain you understand. In all the other pistol shooting styles accuracy is rewarded with more points, in fact I cannot think of one style of pistol shooting where there are no more points awarded for accuracy, this includes metallic silhouette, hitting the pig at 200 yards (not near the centre) will not knock it over.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Feb 2015, 8:13 am

scrolllock wrote:
wrenchman wrote:If they do it wont be them.

What's the go-to pistol for a chunky revolver there in the states?

I reckon the Python looks awesome, but that's all I know about it :lol:

If I wanted a hefty revolver what would you get?

I've had my "Snake", my 6 inch barreled Python, for 30 years. You may think it looks "chunky" but it is anything but. A trigger to die for, smooth as softened butter and crisp as breaking glass. Clear adjustable sights and the ventilated rib aids in that aiming as well, at least for me anyway. Chambered for the 357 Magnum, the Python, was intended for use in 38 special Bullseye matches. Whoever made the decision at Colt to make the Python in 357 did the world a great service.

As for a current made "Hefty Revolver". Look at Ruger Redhawk, 5.5 inch barrel, in 44 Magnum.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 17 Feb 2015, 8:20 am

portph wrote:

There is an accuracy component, targets are of specified dimensions. What's bad is they no longer have a "Power Minimum". In many matches here in the USA you can stand to the side and see bullets in flight, they are so down loaded. I wouldn't mind this, but for those of us who choose to use full power loads can never hope to match speed with those who shoot wimp loads. Which is why I quit shooting SASS.

The West wasn't won with a wimp loaded gun.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 17 Feb 2015, 10:49 am

i started with a revolver have shot deer and small game with the 357/ 38 i have semi auto hand guns i like to shoot the wheel guns more.
My freind thats a doc he has a python and i have shot it to compare it to a ruger or a smith is like compareing a
yugo car to a jag and saying they both do same thing one is to drive the other is to drive and injoy worlds apart
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Norton » 18 Feb 2015, 1:07 pm

wrenchman wrote:i started with a revolver have shot deer and small game with the 357/ 38 i have semi auto hand guns i like to shoot the wheel guns more.

Get strung up by your toes for doing that here.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by portph » 18 Feb 2015, 1:08 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:In many matches here in the USA you can stand to the side and see bullets in flight, they are so down loaded. I wouldn't mind this, but for those of us who choose to use full power loads can never hope to match speed with those who shoot wimp loads. Which is why I quit shooting SASS.

The West wasn't won with a wimp loaded gun.

Mmmm. Yeah I guess that's understandable.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MrMickyD » 14 Apr 2018, 1:33 am

Both the Python and the Anaconda are beautiful revolvers indeed, especially the Python. Havent seen an Anaconda for sale for a long time, they stopped making both of them years ago. Dont really have much experience with the colts thou and i think to start making them as nice as they were back then would be to costly. As far as beefy .357 mag revolvers go the GP 100 will dine out on full chat handloads or the hottest factory loads till the cows come home with no problem at all its one really tough gun, ive owned a 686-4 6" as well and loved it but the Ruger 4" i like more, it fits my big hand like a glove and accurate as hell, now for a super redhawk .44 mag with 7.5" barrel.
MrMickyD
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Apr 2018, 6:46 pm

I love my Pythons, they are a joy to shoot. Even with modern tech production methods they are a cut above the rest for feel. The only things I have used that are as good are the Korth and the MR73, both of which are dearer again than a Python. My Diamondback, also, I rate very highly. Strange that I always score 20 points or better with my 586, go figure.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers