Handgun safeties

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Handgun safeties

Post by cavok » 07 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

:?: Handgun safeties

Without getting into internal firing pin locks, why is it that when a Glock firearm is held and shot (and I use a Glock only as an illustration,) can one load and fire the firearm in one motion, no thought required as to releasing a safety, point and shoot, the same on a (Colt and almost all other revolver manufacturers), revolver, no external safeties, great in high stress adrenaline moments, no fine motor skills.

However once Colt produce their semi automatic pistols, as well as many other US and other firearm manufacturers, they all boast more safety devices.

One on the side, the conventional thumb safety, the grip safety, the safety if no magazine is inserted one is unable to fire the semi. Are semi automatic pistols so much more dangerous? Hence on the Glock and S&W M&P this is the reason I find them so attractive. Note on the M&P it is relatively simple to negate the safety lock internally to allow it to fire without a magazine.

Hence why the need for multiple safeties on one firearm but NONE on the other? Any thoughts or way back in Smith & Wessons days were things different.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Handgun safeties

Post by ChicagoTed » 08 Oct 2014, 2:14 am

some people like safeties some dont

my friends like them and i do not
mossberg 500
mosin 91/30
ar15 frankengun
glock 22 gen 4
ChicagoTed
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by cavok » 08 Oct 2014, 8:41 am

Still does not explain why they have them on semi's and not revolvers. I thought it may have something to do with the trigger pull on revolvers being around 15lbs. But on some semi's it is also high, or possibly an OH&S issues, got to have a safety? There has to be some reason.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by lapp » 08 Oct 2014, 2:12 pm

Pistol noob here.

A semi you can put the mag in without cocking it so there is no round in the chamber. On that I can see why there is no need for a safety.

In a revolver when you close the cylinder the firing pin is sitting right there behind a primer right? So... That's not great?
lapp
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 08 Oct 2014, 2:32 pm

Most modern revolvers have a hammer block that only retracts when the trigger is fully depressed, reducing the risk of firing if the hammer is stuck.

Most new generation pistols are designed with a team of lawyers involved. That's why they tend to have multiple safety systems. The colt 1911 wasn't originally designed with the grip safety, that was added before production stared. The reason for that safety was due to the view of the military at the time that that autoloaders were inherently dangerous and prone to misfire. When the New York police adopted the glock they had and increase in misfires due to the heavy trigger pull of the first shot then the lighter trigger pull of the remainder, the trigger mechanism was redesigned to double action only and is now quite common of duty guns nowadays. It was to mimic the revolver that the glock was replacing.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by cavok » 08 Oct 2014, 2:59 pm

yoshie wrote:Most modern revolvers have a hammer block that only retracts when the trigger is fully depressed, reducing the risk of firing if the hammer is stuck.

Most new generation pistols are designed with a team of lawyers involved. That's why they tend to have multiple safety systems. The colt 1911 wasn't originally designed with the grip safety, that was added before production stared. The reason for that safety was due to the view of the military at the time that that autoloaders were inherently dangerous and prone to misfire. When the New York police adopted the glock they had and increase in misfires due to the heavy trigger pull of the first shot then the lighter trigger pull of the remainder, the trigger mechanism was redesigned to double action only and is now quite common of duty guns nowadays. It was to mimic the revolver that the glock was replacing.

What you write is correct, got to have lawyers involved, but many states police in America are required or actually prefer to purchase their own semi's. In IPSC shooting for over 20 years and having been involved as an RO for over 15 years, in that time I put quite a few shooters through their stages, and participated and watched other RO's putting competitors through stages, and in all that time, in all those rounds I recall seeing 3 or 4 accidental discharges, and most of our triggers have around a 2lb pull. We must be doing something right. Same applies to Service match and Bianchi Cup, and were all started off as rookie shooters, well a few of them.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by south » 10 Oct 2014, 1:22 pm

yoshie wrote:Most new generation pistols are designed with a team of lawyers involved.

Bit off topic but I read that if you're an NRA member in the US and you're forced to defend yourself (with a firearm, shoot an attacker) and are charged by the Police the NRA's lawyers will represent you for free as part of your membership.

+! :ugeek:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Patrol66 » 10 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

My two cents. A semi auto can be loaded ready to fire with a squeeze of the the trigger. A revolver needs to have the hammer cocked for lighter trigger or un cocked and fire with a heavier trigger
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 10 Oct 2014, 7:10 pm

Patrol66 wrote:My two cents. A semi auto can be loaded ready to fire with a squeeze of the the trigger. A revolver needs to have the hammer cocked for lighter trigger or un cocked and fire with a heavier trigger

What about double action only semi autos with heavy trigger pull? What about single action semi autos with the hammer dropped, you would have to cock it to make it go off. I think the main reason why you see safeties on semi autos is when they were designed. Double action revolvers come from a time when public liability was non existent, Glocks etc, are much more modern. The Glock trigger design was their big selling point (safety). Revolvers like Taurus have a key that you can lock the hammer down, preventing authorised use.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wrenchman » 11 Oct 2014, 8:23 am

I carry my revolver with a empty chamber under the hamer I also carry a speed loader and extra rounds it is funny I have never needed them
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cavok » 11 Oct 2014, 9:13 am

wrenchman wrote:I carry my revolver with a empty chamber under the hamer I also carry a speed loader and extra rounds it is funny I have never needed them

That is still the best safety of all. Same as carrying a Browning Hi power with magazine inserted, no round chambered. Does not even take that much practice, or fine motor skill to rectify.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers