Pistol prices... and some advice

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Pistol prices... and some advice

Post by cavok » 22 Dec 2014, 12:07 pm

scrolllock wrote:
cavok wrote:I HAVE never seen a self proclaimed pistol shooter lecture any on GRIP< Stand, or other tactical BS, who could not put 6 rounds into an A zone IPSC target, 25 metres maybe, but 7 or 10 NEVER.

Been to Little River? "Experts" galore there :lol:

So you were at the Christmas shoot at PPLA on Sunday? What squad? No experts at little river on Sunday, just a 127 competitors who wanted to shoot with friends, have fun and laugh. It was hot, humid and some fantastic stages, some shot well some not so well. I did not see one expert at the shoot, I did see a great number of talented shooters who shoot, NOT brag. DVC.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 23 Dec 2014, 9:19 am

I'm looking for an expert on shooting to explain how they can miss an A zone on an IPSC target at 7 metres, must be someone?

Guess they use the Spray and Pray method? :lol: :lol:

The video was posted in another section, best ever posted here.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 24 Dec 2014, 6:12 am

Video?

Link?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cavok » 24 Dec 2014, 7:31 am

The best video on shooters we see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5p6b-ZZ5Y

Spray and Pray looks very cool, must be the guy who can't hi an A zone, but he look great.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 24 Dec 2014, 9:40 am

cavok wrote:I'm looking for an expert on shooting to explain how they can miss an A zone on an IPSC target at 7 metres, must be someone?

Guess they use the Spray and Pray method? :lol: :lol:

Exactly. Too much listening to advice like "IPSC is all about speed, not accuracy"

It's impritant to develop basic accuracy skills BEFORE you concern yourself with speed.

If you're new to shooting IPSC or any of the other action style disciplines you should be trying to put every shop in the Alpha before you worry about trying to shave seconds of your time. If you continuously scoring Charlie's you'll be burning points regardless how fast you finish the course of fire.

Drills like variations on the bill drill are good for forcing you to maintain a sight picture on follow up shots and after reloading.

My comment was from personal experience where another shooter was shooting way too quickly to be accurate then blaming the gun and the reloads.

Both myself and another shooter then shot decent groups from his gun using his ammo. My point is valid, learn to shoot accurately, then worry about shooting fast

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cavok » 24 Dec 2014, 10:54 am

Accuracy in IPSC shooting or any other shooting is what it is all about. Few shooting disciplines are time related, shots fired in the least possible time, as in Western Action and IPSC. Many shooting disciplines in pistol allow heaps of time to sight and shoot, no bonus for finishing before the time period is up, like Service Match.

Speed is one component factor in IPSC, Power, Speed and Acuracy are scored equally. That's the theory, speed however is still the major component to the best score on long and longer stages. Scoring zones are A, C, D. (B) on targets we are no longer allowed to shoot in Australia as the B Zone looked a part of a humanoid target.

All paper targets must be shot twice, (2 hits) or a penalty of 10 points per miss. The longest stage allowed is 32 shots. All good fun and lots of running. DVC.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by crys » 25 Dec 2014, 6:53 am

Chronos wrote:Too much listening to advice like "IPSC is all about speed, not accuracy"

Sounds like guys who want to look good more than shoot good.
crys
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tindog » 27 Dec 2014, 12:55 am

My Beretta 92A1 was $1150...
Beretta 92A1
Tikka T3 CTR .308
Savage Arms Axis .223
Marlin (JM) 1895 SBL 45/70
Walther PPQ M2 .22
Sig Sauer 226 .177 Air
Desert Eagle 1911G
-- Without Trucks, Australia Stops. --
Tindog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cavok » 27 Dec 2014, 8:48 am

Tindog wrote:My Beretta 92A1 was $1150...

What discipline do you shoot with the Beretta? They have manufactured pistols for years, plenty of models. I had the 92fs. Great for going to the range and just letting loose.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cavok » 27 Dec 2014, 8:55 am

crys wrote:
Chronos wrote:Too much listening to advice like "IPSC is all about speed, not accuracy"

Sounds like guys who want to look good more than shoot good.

All the IPSC shooters I know care little for how they look, in fact even thinking about how others see you puts enormous pressure on a shooter. Focus in IPSC as in all disciplines, hence good shooters only focus on their task, the best and worst IPSC shooters shoot in a vacuum, totally unaware there is another soul around until they finish a stage. Without 100% focus a shooters goes to pieces. So looking good is worth nothing. Dare I say in all shooting disciplines this applies, hence those who focus shoot better. If I focus on how I look to others may as well listen to advice on a course of fire.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tindog » 17 Jan 2015, 12:05 am

Cavok just received it last week, as for discipline Im still in the practice mode, but IPSC is the way im going to go. had 40 rounds of Federal 115 and then went to reloads with ADI 30 at 3.3 and had about 80% failer to eject or rechamber.. apparently you need to run it in with abour 150 rounds of factory. ill see how it goes next time on the range.
Beretta 92A1
Tikka T3 CTR .308
Savage Arms Axis .223
Marlin (JM) 1895 SBL 45/70
Walther PPQ M2 .22
Sig Sauer 226 .177 Air
Desert Eagle 1911G
-- Without Trucks, Australia Stops. --
Tindog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by harlow » 18 Jan 2015, 11:50 am

Isn't failure to eject etc. due to powder charge being insufficient?
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers