Target Pistol rimfire advise

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Target Pistol rimfire advise

Post by aekpani » 01 Feb 2015, 6:20 pm

Hello,

I am in market for .22 rimfire handgun.

Reason: purely competitive shooting and high scores and become champion one day :D
Budget: just under $700

I have two questions:

1.What should I get Revolver or Pistol?
2. Depending on your answer of Question No.1, which make and model would you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Best,
AA
Weapons are beautiful

Marlin XT-22 VR in .22LR, Leupold 3-9x40mm
Rossi Rio Grande (stainless) in .30-30 Win
Tikka Lite in .300 WSM, Nikon prostaff 3-9x40
Mosin Nagant 91/30 in 7.62 x 54r
Hammerli 208 target pistol in .22LR
Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Target Pistol rimfire advise

Post by Chronos » 01 Feb 2015, 7:44 pm

what discipline do you plan on becoming a world champion in?

ISSF? You may need to join a club and see what the others are using. most clubs have club pistols you can use, most likely hammerli

otherwise something like a ruger Mk111 is a good honest gun. there are cheap models and more upmarket target models

there are 1911 replicas like the GSG/sig sauer and the colt gold cup. both fun guns to shoot but won't win too many awards :LOL: I have a GSG 1911 .22 with a trigger job and it's a good cheap fun trainer. I even shoot a few service matches with it as class 4 because it replicates the 1911

a mate has a walther P22 and it's a fine gun too though a little more exxy then the GSG

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by aekpani » 01 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm

Chronos wrote:what discipline do you plan on becoming a world champion in?

ISSF? You may need to join a club and see what the others are using. most clubs have club pistols you can use, most likely hammerli

otherwise something like a ruger Mk111 is a good honest gun. there are cheap models and more upmarket target models

there are 1911 replicas like the GSG/sig sauer and the colt gold cup. both fun guns to shoot but won't win too many awards :LOL: I have a GSG 1911 .22 with a trigger job and it's a good cheap fun trainer. I even shoot a few service matches with it as class 4 because it replicates the 1911

a mate has a walther P22 and it's a fine gun too though a little more exxy then the GSG

Chronos

Thank you for your response. Yes mostly I will be shooting ISSF matches. At Club majority of the mates are using Browning buckmark, and Rugers Mark ii or iii. I use club mark ii or iii but as you know they are abused guns for I am sort of disappointed with them.. I borrowed and shot S&W revolver (with red dot), and found it really accurate.. But Still I am not sure revolvers are accurate or semi autos?

Best,
AA
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 01 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

aekpani wrote:
Chronos wrote:what discipline do you plan on becoming a world champion in?

Chronos

Thank you for your response. Yes mostly I will be shooting ISSF matches. At Club majority of the mates are using Browning buckmark, and Rugers Mark ii or iii. I use club mark ii or iii but as you know they are abused guns for I am sort of disappointed with them.. I borrowed and shot S&W revolver (with red dot), and found it really accurate.. But Still I am not sure revolvers are accurate or semi autos?

Best,
AA

If you have lots of money and intend training hard go out and spend a couple of thousand on a Walther, Hammerli, feinwerkbau etc. But if you just want to start off at club level go out and buy a brand new 22/45, MK3 ruger etc for under $500.

I shoot mid 500's on good nights with my 22/45 in standard and sports pistol, the Morini is worth another 10 or fifteen to my score but that is as far as I go and the ruger is more fun. I have shot sports pistol with my Ruger single six but I generally drop around 50-60 points- but have a lot of fun.

Everyone should have a .22 revolver INMHO.

Just my humble opinions and I would definitely recommend using the club pistols for a while first.

Revolvers aren't suitable for all ISSF rim fire matches(I am assuming you are talking pistol Australia and not simply SSAA?)
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by aekpani » 01 Feb 2015, 10:48 pm

Warrigul wrote:
If you have lots of money and intend training hard go out and spend a couple of thousand on a Walther, Hammerli, feinwerkbau etc. But if you just want to start off at club level go out and buy a brand new 22/45, MK3 ruger etc for under $500.

I shoot mid 500's on good nights with my 22/45 in standard and sports pistol, the Morini is worth another 10 or fifteen to my score but that is as far as I go and the ruger is more fun. I have shot sports pistol with my Ruger single six but I generally drop around 50-60 points- but have a lot of fun.

Just my humble opinions and I would definitely recommend using the club pistols for a while first.

Revolvers aren't suitable for all ISSF rim fire matches(I am assuming you are talking pistol Australia and not simply SSAA?)

Thanks for your advise, Yes I am seriously looking at Ruger 22/45 because I dont want to spend too much on my first pistol, and I need to buy air pistol for my daughter to start with.

As soon as my license is open for additional pistols, I will definitely add revolver to my collection (if I will buy semi auto as my first pistol).

I am with SSAA, havent been to pistol Australia, can you please explain the difference?
Best,

AA
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 02 Feb 2015, 7:47 am

aekpani wrote:
Warrigul wrote:

Thanks for your advise, Yes I am seriously looking at Ruger 22/45 because I dont want to spend too much on my first pistol, and I need to buy air pistol for my daughter to start with.

As soon as my license is open for additional pistols, I will definitely add revolver to my collection (if I will buy semi auto as my first pistol).

I am with SSAA, havent been to pistol Australia, can you please explain the difference?
Best,

AA

Pistol Australia affiliated clubs are perhaps more competition based and solely concerned with pistol disciplines.

The SSAA is perhaps a little more skewed towards enjoying yourself than solely competition, both have their merits and I am a member of both. Some SSAA affiliated clubs are just as serious as PA ones but many warp the ISSF concept a little.

A good air pistol shot is a good pistol shot fullstop, I am no real fan of airpistol but I religiously shoot sixty pellets each week to enhance my rim and centerfire pistol skills. An airpistol shows all your faults, it is not just for your daughter.

A 22/45 will last virtually forever, some come out with average triggers and benefit from some attention from a gunsmith to get the best out of them but all are shootable.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Guliver » 02 Feb 2015, 7:55 am

The Ruger 22/45 is a good choice, pretty sure they are over $500 new if you want the removable grip model, a few months ago you could find them for less. Buy the model with removable grips.

The trigger is a little on the heavy side, installing a http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380716 ... less-steel will halve the trigger weight. The most improvement for dollars spent.

Don't forget https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_hand_guns

This is the model I'd choose https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=48873
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 02 Feb 2015, 8:03 am

Guliver wrote:The Ruger 22/45 is a good choice, pretty sure they are over $500 new if you want the removable grip model, a few months ago you could find them for less. Buy the model with removable grips.

The trigger is a little on the heavy side, installing a http://www.midwayusa.com/product/380716 ... less-steel will halve the trigger weight. The most improvement for dollars spent.

$415 from those who shall not be named in Queensland. This is the base model with the moulded grip- same as my MK2 22/45.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by aekpani » 02 Feb 2015, 6:34 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Pistol Australia affiliated clubs are perhaps more competition based and solely concerned with pistol disciplines.

The SSAA is perhaps a little more skewed towards enjoying yourself than solely competition, both have their merits and I am a member of both. Some SSAA affiliated clubs are just as serious as PA ones but many warp the ISSF concept a little.

A good air pistol shot is a good pistol shot fullstop, I am no real fan of airpistol but I religiously shoot sixty pellets each week to enhance my rim and centerfire pistol skills. An airpistol shows all your faults, it is not just for your daughter.

A 22/45 will last virtually forever, some come out with average triggers and benefit from some attention from a gunsmith to get the best out of them but all are shootable.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself.

Thank you so much for all your support!. I totally agree with you on airpistol and fault identifications, I have recently shot airpistol at BIPC..

I am looking at "22/45 Lite Blue" (Cl3@v3r firearms going to import it by late feb, have a look at their website and please advise).

Indeed I will make sure I enjoy this sport thoroughly :)

Thanks,
AA
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 02 Feb 2015, 6:36 pm

Guliver wrote:The Ruger 22/45 is a good choice, pretty sure they are over $500 new if you want the removable grip model, a few months ago you could find them for less. Buy the model with removable grips.

Thank you and I just looked at the model you recommended, I must say its a good deal!
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 02 Feb 2015, 8:35 pm

aekpani wrote:

Thank you and I just looked at the model you recommended, I must say its a good deal!

Including post and fees it is a great deal, it is worth getting the model with changeable grips rather than the plain jane one I have.

I would nearly go for it but I do wish you would consider involving some of the other club members, if nothing else it builds connections. And you never know there may be a bargain lying about that someone isn't using.

You now know what you can get a new one for so be guided in the secondhand market.

Just my opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by aekpani » 03 Feb 2015, 2:05 pm

Guys thank you so much for all the help. I was visiting a gunshop in omeau qld. Found hammerli 208 in good condition. I trust this guy as he shoots with me at my pistol club. I will test it at the range and will revert back with my range review.
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 03 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

Watch the barrel length, one of the models was too long for ISSF (sight radius was too long), not that anyone will pick you up on it at club level, but you might get pulled up if you were to shoot it in an open.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Guliver » 03 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm

yoshie wrote:Watch the barrel length, one of the models was too long for ISSF (sight radius was too long), not that anyone will pick you up on it at club level, but you might get pulled up if you were to shoot it in an open.

Your most likely talking about the Ruger MkIII Hunter.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 03 Feb 2015, 6:54 pm

aekpani wrote:Guys thank you so much for all the help. I was visiting a gunshop in omeau qld. Found hammerli 208 in good condition. I trust this guy as he shoots with me at my pistol club. I will test it at the range and will revert back with my range review.

An excellent choice if the price is right, there's no modifications needed, a fantastic gun in stock form, I had one 3 or 4 years ago, and wish I hadn't sold it.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by aekpani » 04 Feb 2015, 1:40 am

Guliver wrote:
An excellent choice if the price is right, there's no modifications needed, a fantastic gun in stock form, I had one 3 or 4 years ago, and wish I hadn't sold it.

Thanks mate..Yes you are correct about keeping it for life :)
However I am not sure about the price is right or not. but gun fits my grip and it felt so awesome..
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Feb 2015, 1:04 pm

Warrigul wrote:Everyone should have a .22 revolver INMHO.

Something about revolvers appeals to me. I'd love one, CBF with VIC licensing though :problem:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by aekpani » 07 Feb 2015, 12:25 am

Lorgar wrote:
Warrigul wrote:Everyone should have a .22 revolver INMHO.

Something about revolvers appeals to me. I'd love one, CBF with VIC licensing though :problem:

Indeed... once my one year period is over, I will be buying Colt King Cobra and S&W performance centre..
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by scrolllock » 08 Feb 2015, 3:09 pm

Reckon the Colt Python is any good aekpani?

Looks good but I only know it from TV series. No first hand experience.

What do you think?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by aekpani » 08 Feb 2015, 10:13 pm

scrolllock wrote:Reckon the Colt Python is any good aekpani?

Looks good but I only know it from TV series. No first hand experience.

What do you think?

I used to own King Cobra. It was fantastic to shoot, accurate and reliable.
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 08 Feb 2015, 10:39 pm

took my Hammerli 208 to range, I must say what a wonderful shooter it is. used standard cci and winchester T22 ammo. with winchester had couple of round loading issues..
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Triang » 09 Feb 2015, 8:01 am

How were your groups with the CCI standard?
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Guliver » 09 Feb 2015, 1:35 pm

The double action on a revolver makes the trigger heavy and impractical for a lot of matches, fine for when you can use them sigle action. But I have to agree, nice to own.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by melanie » 09 Feb 2015, 3:20 pm

Fun to watch the cowboy shoots of the pro guys flying through cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger on those single actions :D
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by aekpani » 09 Feb 2015, 8:52 pm

Triang wrote:How were your groups with the CCI standard?

Here you go the target.. It was 15 meters

IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6772 times
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 09 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm

Guliver wrote:The double action on a revolver makes the trigger heavy and impractical for a lot of matches, fine for when you can use them sigle action. But I have to agree, nice to own.

after watching Jerry Miculek, double action looks like butter ;)
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by padaro » 11 Feb 2015, 7:43 am

aekpani wrote:Here you go the target.. It was 15 meters

Looks good to me :D
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 15 Feb 2015, 6:50 pm

padaro wrote:
Looks good to me :D

Thanks mate :)
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by aekpani » 15 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm

Shot first competition match ISSF standard @25 meters with my hammerli.
Not only me but everyone else was impressed with gun's performance too.
I was little on over left but it was due to my own mistake.

Target is attached

image.jpg
image.jpg (812.07 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
Weapons are beautiful

Steyr LP10 Air .177
aekpani
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 15 Feb 2015, 7:03 pm

I've got a 208 too, wonderful pistol. I've had it for 10 years now, the guy I bought it off was getting rid of it because it was shot out. He was retiring it, and had 2 more unfired ones left. I've shot a match with it nearly every week since I bought it and I'm always surprised how well it shoots. Did you get the barrel weight with yours?
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers