New Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

New Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Post by Eduardo » 25 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm

Newest addition to the family. Waited a month to get this bad boy.

Now my Single Six has a big brother.

A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Re: New Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Post by wrenchman » 25 Apr 2015, 2:10 pm

i have a gp100 they are very good shooters then you have to go and get the tricked out one i have read about the one you have let us no how it shoots
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bluerob » 26 Apr 2015, 7:56 am

Very nice looking and congrats on the new GP100 Match.

I love wheel guns and was thinking about one of these instead of the S&W SSR.

Have you had a chance to shoot this yet?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mikor » 26 Apr 2015, 9:17 pm

Making us Ozzies jealous as always :lol:

Is it just me or does the angle of the handle look pretty sharp? Looks like almost a right angle.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 27 Apr 2015, 1:16 pm

bluerob wrote:Very nice looking and congrats on the new GP100 Match.

I did get out to shoot it for the first time today. I'm rusty but warmed up to it pretty quickly. Initial groups were terrible but got better within just a few reloads. I attribute this to not initially knowing how best to grip this thing (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
Recoil is very manageable for not just the 38 special, but also the 357. Bulk of the gun seems to take care of the vast majority of the 357 recoil. The double action pull is smooth and consistent through the entire pull, no peaks or valleys in pull weight, completely consistent. Single action trigger is lighter and crisper than a standard GP100 but not as well done as a GP100 that has had professional work done to it in my opinion. I got to play with a worked GP100 recently that had a better trigger than this one. Which means to me this one has room for improvement. But not much, it is as good as a trigger as you are likely to get from a factory gun.
I liked the grip better than I thought I would. I thought that with a wood grip, the recoil would beat me up more than it would with a rubber grip (like the one on the standard GP100). It didn't. I also initially thought it was too thin, but it wasn't once I got on the range. In fact I could see the portion of the grip around my inner thumb purchase being sanded down a bit. Sights are great, the front fiber optic is very visible and bright. It did not come in sighted in from the factory. At least not with the loads I was using. Both windage and elevation had to be significantly adjusted to get it dialed in.
One of the things I liked the most about this gun was how well it was able to handle semi rapid fire shots with double action pulls (with 38 Special, did not try with 357). It gets back on target quick and easy. Perhaps quicker than my Dad's Cold King Cobra.

Long story short is I am hooked. Can't believe I waited so long to get a nice 357 DA revolver. All those times I walked past the revolver cabinets so that I could get to the semi-autos was a mistake. Now I want a snub nosed version.

Sorry, didn't get many pictures. But here's one.

Here's the guns I took with me to the range today.

Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 27 Apr 2015, 1:18 pm

mikor wrote:Making us Ozzies jealous as always :lol:

Is it just me or does the angle of the handle look pretty sharp? Looks like almost a right angle.

No, not just you. I thought so to when I first looked at it but it holds just fine.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 27 Apr 2015, 2:06 pm

Does look very upright for a grip, but I have (not)shot many 'wheel guns'...
If thats a 357 then its legal for Oz with the over 100mm barrel...
Maybe a special order item over here?
Looks the good with the target barrel etc... :thumbsup:
Last edited by 1290 on 27 Apr 2015, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 27 Apr 2015, 2:21 pm

Eduardo wrote:
bluerob wrote:Very nice looking and congrats on the new GP100 Match.

I did get out to shoot it for the first time today. I'm rusty but warmed up to it pretty quickly. Initial groups were terrible but got better within just a few reloads. I attribute this to not initially knowing how best to grip this thing (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
Recoil is very manageable for not just the 38 special, but also the 357. Bulk of the gun seems to take care of the vast majority of the 357 recoil. The double action pull is smooth and consistent through the entire pull, no peaks or valleys in pull weight, completely consistent. Single action trigger is lighter and crisper than a standard GP100 but not as well done as a GP100 that has had professional work done to it in my opinion. I got to play with a worked GP100 recently that had a better trigger than this one. Which means to me this one has room for improvement. But not much, it is as good as a trigger as you are likely to get from a factory gun.
I liked the grip better than I thought I would. I thought that with a wood grip, the recoil would beat me up more than it would with a rubber grip (like the one on the standard GP100). It didn't. I also initially thought it was too thin, but it wasn't once I got on the range. In fact I could see the portion of the grip around my inner thumb purchase being sanded down a bit. Sights are great, the front fiber optic is very visible and bright. It did not come in sighted in from the factory. At least not with the loads I was using. Both windage and elevation had to be significantly adjusted to get it dialed in.
One of the things I liked the most about this gun was how well it was able to handle semi rapid fire shots with double action pulls (with 38 Special, did not try with 357). It gets back on target quick and easy. Perhaps quicker than my Dad's Cold King Cobra.

Long story short is I am hooked. Can't believe I waited so long to get a nice 357 DA revolver. All those times I walked past the revolver cabinets so that I could get to the semi-autos was a mistake. Now I want a snub nosed version.

Sorry, didn't get many pictures. But here's one.

Here's the guns I took with me to the range today.

Thanks for your write up. I think I might buy one and see how I go. I've had Performance Centre guns worked on, so, getting a bit done to the Match GP100 isn't an issue for me.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Press » 27 Apr 2015, 2:49 pm

Obviously feels all right judging by the group in the background of the photo there :thumbsup:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Eduardo » 27 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

bluerob wrote:Thanks for your write up. I think I might buy one and see how I go. I've had Performance Centre guns worked on, so, getting a bit done to the Match GP100 isn't an issue for me.

I don't see how you could go wrong. The Smith and Wesson performance center guns have slightly better triggers from the factory but cost $300-$400 more. Get the trigger job done yourself by a pro and save the extra money. My gunsmith is one of the top ten-twenty in the country (the number varies from year to year), certainly better than any smith at a factory. I'm dropping off my 1911 with him this Wednesday.

But that's even if you think it needs a trigger job, frankly this one is so good I'll probably leave it as is. I have guns with worse triggers that need work that I could be spending my money on.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 28 Apr 2015, 3:02 am

ed i am a wheel gun fan i have semi auto guns but i go back to the wheel.
i have a early gp 100 i will need to see if there are any match guns around to compare i have the rubber grip on mine.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 28 Apr 2015, 3:16 am

wrenchman wrote:ed i am a wheel gun fan i have semi auto guns but i go back to the wheel.
i have a early gp 100 i will need to see if there are any match guns around to compare i have the rubber grip on mine.

Have you done any work to yours? I have only been exposed to ones that have had work done to them,
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 28 Apr 2015, 5:23 am

i never had any work done to mine i found the more i shot the smoother it shoots only thing i would change on mine is the front sight.
The front blade is rather wide so i dont shoot any animal past 30 yards i did notice that you have a better sight.
I put over 2000 rounds threw mine the first year 38 and 357 gp100 is the tank of revolvers and handles hunting loads real good.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 28 Apr 2015, 5:30 am

Here is a pic of mine
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5069 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 28 Apr 2015, 5:33 am

I like a flap holster
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 5069 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Eduardo » 28 Apr 2015, 7:35 am

wrenchman wrote:Here is a pic of mine

That is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup:
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Streamline » 29 Apr 2015, 8:56 am

All looking good :D
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal