Pistol Safes.

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistol Safes.

Post by RoginaJack » 04 May 2015, 2:40 pm

Got a email from BROWNELLS the other day and found a couple of pistol safes interesting, are they available out here?

Cheers,

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... orage%20(1)&spMailingID=11849684&spUserID=ODU0NTc3MzYxMzUS1&spJobID=503024248&spReportId=NTAzMDI0MjQ4S0
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Pistol Safes.

Post by 460XVR » 04 May 2015, 3:28 pm

You can probably get one but they dont meet any regulations in aus for safe storage, if you were inspected and there was a handgun inside they would confiscate your firearms.
460XVR
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 05 May 2015, 1:08 pm

I reckon you've got no chance of that passing.

Legislative requirements for Category D, H or R firearms storage
Section 60 of the Weapons Regulation provides minimum requirements for safe keeping of Category D, H and R firearms including:
• The container must of a rigid structure, made of solid steel;
• Be bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building;
• The container must have a sturdy combination lock, keyed lock or keyed padlock;

18 gauge steel is only 1.27mm, I seriously doubt they'll accept that as "solid".

pistol-safe.jpg
pistol-safe.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Looking at the gap between 'door' and 'body' in the picture too, I reckon it would take all of about 30 seconds to open that with a crowbar.

:thumbsdown:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 06 May 2015, 9:40 am

Looks like something to just keep the kids away in the US where there aren't storage requirements.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 06 May 2015, 2:15 pm

It would be a nice little bedside unit for a home defence pistol though, if such things were allowed here.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 07 May 2015, 2:37 pm

Only ways 3kg so would be cheap to ship.

No good for regular storage as already covered but looks like it would be a good box to transport in in the car. If you had the box bolted to the inside of the tray in your/boot of the 4WD instead of carrying a lose case which could be taken, that would make sense.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 08 May 2015, 10:49 am

Seconds wrote:It would be a nice little bedside unit for a home defence pistol though, if such things were allowed here.

Am I to take this to mean you can own firearms but not have them ready to defend yourself in your own home?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by trekin » 08 May 2015, 10:54 am

Title_II wrote:
Seconds wrote:It would be a nice little bedside unit for a home defence pistol though, if such things were allowed here.

Am I to take this to mean you can own firearms but not have them ready to defend yourself in your own home?

In nearly all States and territories, self defence is not considered a genuine reason for ownership of a firearm.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 May 2015, 10:56 am

Title_II wrote:Am I to take this to mean you can own firearms but not have them ready to defend yourself in your own home?

That's correct. We can't own firearms for the purpose of self defense and if we were in a life threatening situation where we used them to defend ourselves we'd have some serious questions to answer because by the law the firearms should be locked in a safe and the ammunition locked in a separate safe/storage container.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 May 2015, 11:00 am

I'm really not sure what to say and I think I'll stick with that.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rainwalker » 11 May 2015, 10:52 am

Title_II wrote:Am I to take this to mean you can own firearms but not have them ready to defend yourself in your own home?

Indeed.

More than that, there have been a few cases here where someone has shot an intruder. In just about all cases I can think of the defender has face criminal charges afterwards.

Not necessarily depending on the circumstances, one I can remember a neighbour heard a scuffle and found some junkie trying to choke his neighbour to death and shot the guy. In the end I don't think they pressed charges (mostly because the guy was elderly and had cancer and wasn't due to be around much longer so what's the point?) but it was being discussed and on the cards with police.

In the US I doubt it even would have been mentioned. In different circumstances with the guy here I expect they would have charged him with something afterwards too.
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Korkt » 13 May 2015, 12:58 pm

We're supposed to call the Police and hope we don't get killed in the 15 minutes it takes them to get there.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 13 May 2015, 4:05 pm

Korkt wrote:We're supposed to call the Police and hope we don't get killed in the 15 minutes it takes them to get there.

:shock: You must live right next door to the station. I think average response time around here is 40 minutes
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers