Pistols - Who Shoots Pistols?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Pistols - Who Shoots Pistols?

Post by brett1868 » 01 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm

Was getting a little bored shooting rifle's and cant get bush often enough for a fix of fifty cal so I've started shooting pistols again. Picked up a Glock G4 17a 9mm and a Sti Trubor 38Super last week and had my second shoot tonight. Would be good to swap info and experience with other pistol shooters on this forum but don't see much here relating to pistols. Pictures will be uploaded when I fix my main PC at home :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Pistols - Who Shoots Pistols?

Post by aaronjo » 01 Sep 2015, 11:55 pm

Fellow pistol shooter here too!
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Sep 2015, 12:28 am

Not yet, but i have been considering starting. The brother shoots pistols and is keen to get me into it
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2015, 12:57 am

If anyone is considering shooting pistol and has the time and $ do it you will not regret it
I shoot rimfire and centerfire precision pistol and ipsc also have a revolver just for fun most weekends I get through about 200 9mm and up to about 300 .22 and a few .22 mag rounds in revolver bout 100 .
The difference to rifle its like cheese and chalk don't get me wrong always take 3 rifles to the range or more but pistol try it.
I keep telling my Mrs to give pistol a go but then i think i will be reloading another 300 rounds a week I can see i have to teach her to reload , haha yer thats never going to happen
Brett 1868 where are you shooting
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 02 Sep 2015, 2:07 am

i love shooting hand guns i think i have said it before on here i like to shoot my revolvers more then my semi auto i have been thinking of getting a 10 shot revolver 357 smith and giveing my 9 to my son
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 02 Sep 2015, 7:24 am

LN and I will be starting our pistol licensing process next month when our black powder club is hosting a training day. Hangin' out to add a "Remington New Model Army" cap and ball revolver to the BP fleet once I'm all legal.here's a vid of them...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Qr7qmSvY
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Sep 2015, 8:08 am

Brett 1868 where are you shooting

I'm a member of St Mary's Pistol club, not too far from home and I'm there a couple times a week shooting rifle so it was an easy choice. The club is very well organised, well patronised and the training is first rate. I dealt with a number of instructors and range officers over the training, novice and trainee stages and was very impressed with the level of commitment to safety and quality of information provided.

when selecting pistols I wanted something that was "legal" for most comps so got a Glock 17a Gen4 9mm and for IPSC Open I went with the STI Trubor 38Super. The Glock shoots well, nothing less then 8's on the standard pistol target @ 10m which isn't bad considering I haven't owned pistols since the early 90's and I'm a bit rusty. Still working out a load for the 38Super as it appears the max load in the ADI manual isn't "Max" enough to cycle the STI's action. 8 / 10 rounds fail to extract due to not enough recoil, spoke to a gent last night who gave me some pointers on loads so I'll try 8.5Gr of AP100 on 125Gr LRN and see if that improves extraction.
Next on the agenda is a Dillon RL1050 cause I'll never keep up with the reloading any other way. Observed a IPSC match last night out at St Marys and keen to get my holster accreditation and get into it.
The interesting part of buying the pistols is that I passed "Graduation" from trainee to probationary member on the 26/8, mailed off my 2 PTA's to the registry 27/7 which were received by them 28/7. I was expecting a minimum 5-7 weeks for them to come back but nearly fell over when they were in my mailbox last Friday 28/8 with a valid from date of 28/8. I was home early on Friday, saw the PTA's in the mail box then got straight back in the car to drive over to Magnum's to pick up the pistols, didn't even bother going inside to kiss the missus or take a piss. Very impressive turn around time for the registry on this one and I didn't mind 1 bit the bumper to bumper traffic driving home.

The big mental challenge now is coming to grips with group sizes bigger then 1/3" like I strive for shooting rifles. A 3"-4" group at 10m is apparently not too bad but I'll get practising and pushing myself to do better. Next year once I get my full Cat H I'll give give Western Action a crack, looks like a huge amount of fun plus it involves a pair of 6 Guns, a shotgun and a lever action rifle which must be fun no matter what way you look at it.

Below is the Trubor as it comes out of the box, looks impressive and shoots as good as it looks.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

Soon to be I think.

That tax return isn't going to spend itself after all :lol:

Going to the states really galvanized my desire for a HK P30 or 45. I just need to get a bit more knowledge/experience with the pistol cartridges to decide which way to go.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 02 Sep 2015, 10:30 am

I prefer shooting revolvers but I carry and train with autos. I only carry a revolver when the Eagles are playing and I am wearing game gear or maybe at a BBQ or something. Because I have a nice revolver holster. I only have 3 handguns which is pretty low here.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Herdsman » 02 Sep 2015, 10:43 am

I want a Colt Python after watching The Walking Dead :lol:
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

Another pistol shooter here. I opted for the Glock 34 cos I didn't like the little bit of barrel sticking out the front on the 17A. Also own a S&W 686. You should try your hand at a revolver Brett, in my experience they're more precise than auto's. Although you should have no problems with that STI
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

I just joined st marys pistol club and do my safety course next week.

I shot many years ago at st Ives and getting back into pistols.looking forward to the journey and really want to go down the practical pistol side.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Another pistol shooter here. I opted for the Glock 34 cos I didn't like the little bit of barrel sticking out the front on the 17A. Also own a S&W 686. You should try your hand at a revolver Brett, in my experience they're more precise than auto's. Although you should have no problems with that STI

My very first pistol in 1988 was a S&W 586 in 357Mag S/N AVC6564 complete with 6" barrel and 4 position adjustable front sight. Awesome piece of gear and I put several thousand rounds through it without any dramas. The second pistol was a S&W 645 S/N TBT0377 9mm stainless which was my favourite till it was damaged beyond repair in a car accident and replaced by one of the first Glock 17's. I got out of pistols in 92' when I stopped working in the security business and couldn't justify my 1A license anymore. Always meant to join a club and get back into it, only took 23 yrs to get round to it :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 02 Sep 2015, 1:20 pm

Brett 1686
If your @ St Marys on a saturday round 12ish look for an old fart with a trolley full of rifles im there every weekend normally Ask any of the counter staff if Ians there
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2015, 1:50 pm

brett1868 wrote:My very first pistol in 1988 was a S&W 586 in 357Mag S/N AVC6564 complete with 6" barrel and 4 position adjustable front sight. Awesome piece of gear and I put several thousand rounds through it without any dramas. The second pistol was a S&W 645 S/N TBT0377 9mm stainless which was my favourite till it was damaged beyond repair in a car accident and replaced by one of the first Glock 17's. I got out of pistols in 92' when I stopped working in the security business and couldn't justify my 1A license anymore. Always meant to join a club and get back into it, only took 23 yrs to get round to it :)

Shame about the car wreck but sounds like a nice pair. My 686 has the adjustable front sight too, love it!
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Sep 2015, 1:55 pm

pomemax wrote:Brett 1686
If your @ St Marys on a saturday round 12ish look for an old fart with a trolley full of rifles im there every weekend normally Ask any of the counter staff if Ians there

I've probably walked past you several times, if I shoot on Saturday I try to get there as the doors open cause it can get quite crowded after lunch. I'll certainly keep an eye out for you and most of the boys there know me as well due to the tacticool cannons I shoot :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Sep 2015, 2:10 pm

When I get my cat H license in the future, there's one brand I'm set on.

German superiority FTW! :clap:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

On a couple of occasions I've shot a Walther PPQ M2 and can't recommend them enough. The trigger is amazing for a striker fired pistol.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by aaronjo » 02 Sep 2015, 3:18 pm

I concur...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 6360 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 6360 times
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by aaronjo » 02 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Got a .22 & 9mm, now to decide which 357mag...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

aaronjo wrote:I concur...

That case, those mags....that walther... :o

How much did that cost you all up?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by tarnagulla » 02 Sep 2015, 5:16 pm

I am with Title II - revolvers are perceived to be slower, but a jam or misfeed in a semi-auto fairly ruins your score in a speed event! Never suffered either issue with a revolver - and in my experience they seem to be more accurate anyway (Ruger GP100, and S&Ws of all sorts, at least).
Still won't part with my WWI Erfurt P08 though...
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by aaronjo » 02 Sep 2015, 8:23 pm

I just wish there was more of a choice with revolvers as compared to pistols. It's pretty much Ruger (GP100) vs S&W (686) to my limited knowledge if I wanted a solid 6 shooter.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Sep 2015, 9:28 pm

Handguns are lot of fun, havent shot a great deal, 1911, lots of fun - the 'auto'.... fs92 just damn nice and solid, Sig, quality, S&W29 say no more, Tan race gun - just so slick I was sure the slide was going to take off... Glock; just freakin odd - light as heck, a pistol needs a bit of mass!!!

So much fun, but the licensing requirements!!! minimum participation or you LOSE your guns..... just not right.

For me? I'll have;
1911 (2 of them, you've got 2 hands after all)
Beret92
Tisas 9mm (the one with the selector lever :twisted: )

That would start me off........ :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Sep 2015, 9:29 pm

Heckler303 wrote:When I get my cat H license in the future, there's one brand I'm set on.

German superiority FTW! :clap:

88 :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Sep 2015, 9:43 pm

tarnagulla wrote:I am with Title II - revolvers are perceived to be slower, but a jam or misfeed in a semi-auto fairly ruins your score in a speed event! Never suffered either issue with a revolver - and in my experience they seem to be more accurate anyway (Ruger GP100, and S&Ws of all sorts, at least).
Still won't part with my WWI Erfurt P08 though...

Ok this is the extreme end but Jerry Miculek competes in the world speed challenge with a revolver and I think it was 2011 came third in the open division. So he was up against race guns!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm

Previous time with my cat h, I owned
Ruger MK II stainless
Ruger MK II blued
Hamerli 208
Hamerli air pistol
Beretta 92FS
norinco 1911a1
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 03 Sep 2015, 1:57 am

When I was shooting a lot I could keep up with the semi autos for the first 6 rounds reloads are what got me
I have speed loaders but I just never got any good with them.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Sep 2015, 9:28 am

Revolver, 12 shots, one reload sub 3 seconds. Only one man can do that jerry!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 04 Sep 2015, 2:29 am

That man is great I wish I could shoot like that his daughter and wife compete and are real good
A couple of makers are Taurus they have a warranty thats great charter arms I don't know if you can get them there are othr
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers