Pistols - Who Shoots Pistols?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Pistols - Who Shoots Pistols?

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Sep 2015, 2:47 pm

Carter wrote:25 yard service pistol looks fun.

Not sure I'd hit much but fun :lol:

I got 442 our of 650 which I thought was alright for my first time. I dropped a couple shots because the target turned away faster than I expected :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 18 Sep 2015, 9:08 am

Service is great fun, especially with 2 x .357 mags barking.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 18 Sep 2015, 9:19 am

Title_II wrote:Has anybody considered getting a conversion for a centerfire pistol? I have one of these for my Glock and it works quite well:

http://www.advantagearms.com/

I bring it up because it sounds like buying handguns is a pain in Australia and this would make two handguns in one.

Mate, the only pain is that some manufacturers forget that Australia exists.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Radagast » 20 Sep 2015, 9:28 pm

I used to own a Beretta practice kit in .22lr. Reliable with CCI standards, but only mediocre accuracy. CZ Kadet conversions are available and at various times the Advantage Arms Glock conversion, Marvel and Kimber 1911 conversions have been available. For the probationary shooter the conversions are a good idea, at least in NSW they are considered a spare barrel for the centerfire handgun, so this may provide a way around the centerfire or .22, but not both rules for the first year.
Re the Steyr, I shot the standard unit before the buyback. Wasn't impressed with the heavy trigger. The trapezoid sights were interesting, but didn't seem to be better or worse than normal post and notch.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Radagast » 20 Sep 2015, 9:35 pm

SGP;
A QLD shop has an OZ legal extended barrel M&P .22. This is the older Walther made version. I recently had a Walther P22 slide snap and bounce off my forehead, and the M&P appears to be the same internally, with an M&P shaped shell, so I'd probably pass on it.
I would look at the CZ Kadet, Ruger MKIII, Browning Buckmark or S&W 617 revolver in the lower priced end of the market.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 22 Sep 2015, 12:15 am

I visited another club on the weekend. They're IPSC only, but I just didn't get a great feeling from them, didn't seem all that friendly, felt like I was an inconvenience to them and they took it for granted that I was joining.

There's another club a bit further away that I've heard great things about, and they shoot several disciplines. It will mean significant travel time, but I'm only looking at visiting once a month, so that's fine.

I still haven't handled any yet, but just from research and reading I'm interested in the Beretta 87 target, Beretta u22 neos and steyr l9-a1. I wouldn't mind trying a .45 though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by aaronjo » 22 Sep 2015, 9:51 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I visited another club on the weekend. They're IPSC only, but I just didn't get a great feeling from them, didn't seem all that friendly, felt like I was an inconvenience to them and they took it for granted that I was joining.

There's another club a bit further away that I've heard great things about, and they shoot several disciplines. It will mean significant travel time, but I'm only looking at visiting once a month, so that's fine.

I still haven't handled any yet, but just from research and reading I'm interested in the Beretta 87 target, Beretta u22 neos and steyr l9-a1. I wouldn't mind trying a .45 though

I dunno which one you're going to or where you're based but if you ever pop over to SDRC you can give my 87 Target a go.

Racking the slide is a bit different but other than that it's pretty good, at least to me...
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 22 Sep 2015, 11:31 am

Thanks.

I don't get to Perth very often, but if I get a chance, I may just take you up on that offer
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Farmjer » 25 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I visited another club on the weekend. They're IPSC only, but I just didn't get a great feeling from them, didn't seem all that friendly, felt like I was an inconvenience to them and they took it for granted that I was joining.

:thumbsdown:

No point joining a club like that IMO.

"club" ?
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 25 Sep 2015, 7:30 pm

Gee, that does sound like a crap. I wouldn't waste my time with wankers like them.

OT: I've been looking at the SW 686 revolver, and it looks really good, I mean, comparable to the Colt Python in terms of quality and sheer craftsmanship. Does anyone here have a 686 in their possession they can talk about? Is it worth getting at some stage? Anything would be good.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Baldrick314 » 25 Sep 2015, 9:12 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Gee, that does sound like a crap. I wouldn't waste my time with wankers like them.

OT: I've been looking at the SW 686 revolver, and it looks really good, I mean, comparable to the Colt Python in terms of quality and sheer craftsmanship. Does anyone here have a 686 in their possession they can talk about? Is it worth getting at some stage? Anything would be good.

Love my 686. It's got one distinct advantage over the Python, doesn't cost a fortune :lol:
I'm yet to see an inaccurate 686
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Sep 2015, 12:25 am

I visited another club last night and got a great feeling from them (they were actually friendly and made me feel at home, exactly how a club should feel). They are in the process of fundraising for a proper range,so are currently limited to air pistols, but another club an hour and a half away has opened their range to them, which is a great thing, so the two clubs shoot with each other each weekend. I can't often shoot on weeknights (due to work), but i am seriously considering joining anyway.

There's another large club a couple of hours away that i want to visit before i make a final decision, though
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Radagast » 26 Sep 2015, 7:52 pm

The Python is a cut above in quality. They were hand fitted and hand polished. Lovely safe queens, but no longer made and the guys who made them are no longer at Colt.
The 686 in my opinion has a better trigger, which is what counts when you are shooting and not collecting. I've shot multiple 686s, including the AFS with the adjustable front sight & the Competitor with the weighted barrel. All were accurate. I haven't shot the light weight barrel SSR or Pro. I did handle the SSR. It has nice balance and a better trigger than the standard gun. If you don't mind the weight forward balance of the heavy barrel, then a second hand 686 is a great choice for silhouette or bulls eye matches.
For ICORE or IPSC the 8 shot N frame guns will be more competitive.
Radagast
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 01 Oct 2015, 9:50 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I'm yet to see an inaccurate 686

Get me behind one and I'll show you :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 Oct 2015, 11:50 am

Try to shoot pistol at the moment but a lack of projectiles is causing issues. How hard can it be to find 125Gr lead projectiles?? PBA out of stock, HPGS out of stock, Magnums no stock....might me time to take the suppliers out of the equation and start making my own.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Oct 2015, 12:40 pm

brett1868 wrote:Try to shoot pistol at the moment but a lack of projectiles is causing issues. How hard can it be to find 125Gr lead projectiles?? PBA out of stock, HPGS out of stock, Magnums no stock....might me time to take the suppliers out of the equation and start making my own.

Shortage???? thats crazy; lead, copper,(tin, zinc, aluminium etc) all at 5yr+ lows at the mo.....indeed lead is currently almost half the cost compared to the 'price rise because of increased lead cost' 3 or 4 yrs ago... :evil: ..

We need more Aussie production!

Brett, set it up - you can feed your habit at the same time! :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Oct 2015, 8:43 pm

brett1868 wrote:Try to shoot pistol at the moment but a lack of projectiles is causing issues. How hard can it be to find 125Gr lead projectiles?? PBA out of stock, HPGS out of stock, Magnums no stock....might me time to take the suppliers out of the equation and start making my own.

Thought about dealing direct with someone like Hawkesbury river and buying in bulk?

I get cheap Topscores from my local guy and no supply issue. In Newcastle so only just up the coast from you
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Oct 2015, 9:15 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:

Thought about dealing direct with someone like Hawkesbury river and buying in bulk?

I get cheap Topscores from my local guy and no supply issue. In Newcastle so only just up the coast from you

I ended up buying 2000 of the TopScore 122gr round nose this afternoon from Horsley's along with 2kg of AP100. Did my original load development with Susan Island 125gr round nose so hopefully these don't require much tweaking. I've got close to 1000 rounds of pistol and rifle to load this weekend so thankfully it's a long weekend and daylight savings kicks in :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Oct 2015, 6:22 am

brett1868 wrote:I ended up buying 2000 of the TopScore 122gr round nose this afternoon from Horsley's along with 2kg of AP100. Did my original load development with Susan Island 125gr round nose so hopefully these don't require much tweaking. I've got close to 1000 rounds of pistol and rifle to load this weekend so thankfully it's a long weekend and daylight savings kicks in :)

I've been using the topscore 124's with AP50 and had good results.

:lol: yeah I did a mass loading of my pistol calibres a couple of weeks back. At the time I thought "Great, I'm up a thousand rounds on both that will keep me going for a while". Now I'm nearly ready to start loading 9mm again :shock:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 07 Oct 2015, 8:45 am

I couldn't deal with having to do the amount of reloading pistols need.

I'm over it after 100 rifle rounds :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm

ebr love wrote:I couldn't deal with having to do the amount of reloading pistols need.

It's quicker/ less fiddly with pistols though. Just crank the handle :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Oct 2015, 4:03 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
ebr love wrote:I couldn't deal with having to do the amount of reloading pistols need.

Yep, around 500-800 rounds an hour from this baby. Currently in transit and hopefully arrives in time for the weekend as I've got 2000+ cases to put through it.

How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 07 Oct 2015, 6:16 pm

Yet another reason I'm jealous of you Brett :lol:

I'm stuck with a Lee 1000
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 13 Oct 2015, 8:42 am

Thousands of rounds a year if you're competing seriously :thumbsdown:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 13 Oct 2015, 10:25 am

Supporter wrote:

Thousands of rounds a year if you're competing seriously :thumbsdown:

Thousands of rounds a month if you are screwing off :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by south » 14 Oct 2015, 8:26 am

brett1868 wrote:Yep, around 500-800 rounds an hour from this baby. Currently in transit and hopefully arrives in time for the weekend as I've got 2000+ cases to put through it.

Serious rig :mrgreen:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bluerob » 14 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

brett1868 wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:

Yep, around 500-800 rounds an hour from this baby. Currently in transit and hopefully arrives in time for the weekend as I've got 2000+ cases to put through it.

Get the machine that cranks the handle for you. There's some insane 1050's on youtube that i was looking at when setting up mine. Get the auto primer also. Saves time picking up primers.

I can usually do 800 9mm in 1 hour with my 1050.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Oct 2015, 11:25 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Yet another reason I'm jealous of you Brett :lol:

I'm stuck with a Lee 1000

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the lee 1000?

I should note, this is a serious question as it was a press I briefly looked into a while back, but ended up going another route due to needing a press for larger rifle rounds. I'd be interested to know of your experiences and its down falls, though, as from what I saw it looked OK for pistols...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 14 Oct 2015, 1:17 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the lee 1000?

I should note, this is a serious question as it was a press I briefly looked into a while back, but ended up going another route due to needing a press for larger rifle rounds. I'd be interested to know of your experiences and its down falls, though, as from what I saw it looked OK for pistols...

For what you pay the Lee's are a reasonable press. I paid $100 each for my two. When I was learning to use them I had bridged charges/ cases that wouldn't get powder at all, primers getting stuck in the feed ramp so some cases wouldn't get primed and powder spilled all through the bottom of the press, I had primers get stuck between the primer ramp and the priming station and get squashed.

A lot of those problems arose because I was trying to go too fast. Now on a good day I can churn out about 200 rounds an hour but to do that and have quality ammunition I've gotta be watching every round plus make sure I don't run out of powder or primers and have to be pulling the handle the same way each time.

The dillon's are a lot more user friendly, you can just crank on the handle and it will spit out great ammo at a much faster rate. The Lee's tend to be a bit more inconsistent in the charges they throw too.

I wouldn't get rid of me Lee's but if I did a larger volume of shooting and had the cash I'd get a Dillon in a heart beat.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Oct 2015, 11:13 pm

Good info to know. Thanks, Baldrick
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia