Sig versus FN five-seven

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Sig versus FN five-seven

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 4:33 pm

OK, so I'm a little bored and just reading random things about different pistols, since I'm going to shortly join a pistol club.

So I thought I might start a random thread just to get people's opinions.

I'm going tobe getting a .22 pistol of course, but also interested in people's ideas on centrefires. Now, I will be trying different calibers and styles, but I would like something quality and maybe a little different.

Now, I've heard a few people describe Sig as high quality and really reliable, and I will have access to metallic silhouette, so .45 is an option.

On the other hand, FN Five-seven intrigues me, and is apparently a good pistol, although it seems very hard to find here.

Once I've made the initial outlay for dies, the ammo cost won't bother me too much for either .45 or 5.7, but the 5.7 sounds like it would be fun.

If I do decide on the five-seven, I would need to figure out where to get one from, and am open to buying one and having it stored until i have my 6 months membership and get my license in.

Now, although I have grown up around rifles, I'm completely new to pistols, so feel free to educate me.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Sig versus FN five-seven

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Sep 2015, 5:40 pm

I remember hearing some negatives about the 5.7, something along the lines of it being hard to load for and some people calling it dangerous. I can't remember specifics though sorry, maybe someone on here will know what I'm referring to.

Given my choice I'd go the 45 but I'd get a 1911 variant. I've shot Sigs a couple times and wasn't really fussed by them. This probably says more about me than the actual pistol though.

You should consider what you plan on using the pistol for to, as you said you've got the option of silhouette where the 45 will be good but the 5.7 may not perform as well
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm

Yeah, I've done a little more reading and it appears the 5.7x28 is a mongrel to load, despite using .224 projectiles.

It's still a round and pistol that intrigues me, though I don't fancy the challenge of finding factory ammo for it...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 27 Sep 2015, 9:04 pm

5.7 by itself is a really powerful pistol round, some can reach 2700fps (military specs) and there are a wide variety of .224 projectiles out there, but as said before, according to handloaders, it isnt entirely easy peasy. Store bought ammo is not very common (only the FN P90 and FN five-seven take it), but shop online and you can find some distributors of it.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 9:11 pm

Oh, i could get ammo in, but i would probably have to order it months in advance, as well as keep a hefty amount on hand. I wouldn't want to run out of ammo and not meet the six shoots per year if there was an ammo shortage.

As for loading, there are a few issues, including the cases being lacquered, making it problematic for dies.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 9:15 pm

Having said that, it all goes to making it less common, something that sort of appeals to me. Its also supposed to be low recoil and quite accurate.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Sep 2015, 9:59 pm

I was waiting for that, wondering who would say it first...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by BBJ » 05 Oct 2015, 9:08 am

Heckler303 wrote:5.7 by itself is a really powerful pistol round, some can reach 2700fps (military specs)

Doesn't sound very enjoyable to shoot.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 05 Oct 2015, 9:28 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Having said that, it all goes to making it less common, something that sort of appeals to me. Its also supposed to be low recoil and quite accurate.

It is. Very easy to shoot and endless ammo mag. The large mag and lite weight of the ammo being the primary advantage, and one that means zero in Australia because you don't get those benefits. It also has a massive blast with every shot, even worse at night, which can be good or bad depending upon what you want to use it for. It's not very neighborly at the range. Very expensive as well.

It's not a normal pistol round and it's not particularly good at anything. It will put holes in steel but never knock it down. Reloading is treacherous. If you think it is cool, and want something different, get it! :) If you want a pistol that will do pistol things, get a pistol. Myself, I wouldn't look at the thing with a restricted mag capacity.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by inventurkey » 09 Oct 2015, 9:09 am

Title_II wrote:It's not very neighborly at the range.

Don't be "that guy" :lol:
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers