Defensive Carry

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Defensive Carry

Post by bluerob » 09 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm

I know that this topic has been discussed numerous times and that essentially, Australian's will never own a handgun for self defence or the defence of other's (well, not in my lifetime).

This morning I see an advertisement from a particular Australian gun store promoting a 9mm as a great self defence firearm????

The ad wasn't a US mass marketing style (like you see with particular ammo brands discussing how well the pill separates and does......).

Why advertise something that can never be used as marketed?

Cheers & best regards to all!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Defensive Carry

Post by David Brown » 09 Oct 2015, 12:12 pm

Post the link!

There are some select markets for this….just not for you and me.

And yes….we SHOULD have the right to a licensed and trained CCW permit here.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 09 Oct 2015, 12:43 pm

Even if self defense is not an allowable reason, it may still be the real, or hidden, reason for procuring the handgun.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Oct 2015, 1:07 pm

^ GLS has it spot on.

Also, fully agree with CC, maybe not entirely to the full extent of conceal-carrying a loaded firearm, but non-lethal means of any sort would be fantastic.

I'd most likely stick with carrying an X26 or something vaguely similar.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by AusTac » 09 Oct 2015, 2:20 pm

The funny thing is people have been carrying firearms for self defence for years, mostly going be the name of criminals while were not even allowed to carry a a ' tacticool ' pen
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Oct 2015, 2:50 pm

Well said AusTac.

Meanwhile, if I was to get mugged by a bogan, only real defense I'd have is a little swiss army knife kit.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 09 Oct 2015, 3:02 pm

Isn't it also illegal in some states to carry a knife of any description...????

Very interesting point in country NSW. Youngster wearing a knife in a pouch in town will probably get pulled up if not arrested. Old bugger like me doesn't get a look and most times doesn't even think about it as it's always been a way of life. Pocket knife on belt is part of the furniture.

BTW...I wonder if that Gun Shop was in Brisbane.... :-)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by joker » 09 Oct 2015, 3:18 pm

In Victoria you'll get a minimum fine of $1000 for have a knife
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Oct 2015, 4:36 pm

Well, actually, seeing as I use a swiss army knife a lot for its phillips head and the scissors for a lot of opening, cutting open small stuff and the other functions for whatever. Just because it has one tiny blade in it, does it make it illegal?
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Oct 2015, 5:06 pm

joker wrote:In Victoria you'll get a minimum fine of $1000 for have a knife

Unless you have a lawful excuse; on the way to work where you use the knife, on the way to a hunt, etc...

As far as firearms and self defence, although you can not purchase a firearm for the purpose of self defence..... There is no law what-so-ever that says you cant USE a firearm for self defence, its up to you to decide if you're prepared to do it once you have decided its proportionate/appropriate....

Self defence is an inherent and inalienable right that YOU have and no police policy document whether from 1996 or 1988 (NFA) or whenever it was concocted together by a bunch of retarded gun bigots... can take away...

YOU decide how to defend yourself. :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Heckler303 » 09 Oct 2015, 5:28 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
joker wrote:In Victoria you'll get a minimum fine of $1000 for have a knife

Unless you have a lawful excuse; on the way to work where you use the knife, on the way to a hunt, etc...

As far as firearms and self defence, although you can not purchase a firearm for the purpose of self defence..... There is no law what-so-ever that says you cant USE a firearm for self defence, its up to you to decide if you're prepared to do it once you have decided its proportionate/appropriate....

Self defence is an inherent and inalienable right that YOU have and no police policy document whether from 1996 or 1988 (NFA) or whenever it was concocted together by a bunch of retarded gun bigots... can take away...

YOU decide how to defend yourself. :thumbsup:

I'm still going to carry a swiss army knife in my bag or somewhere on me, because I very rarely even use the knife function on it. Even then, its not aggressive or anything (its completely blunt)

Seeing how at any given time I can carry a phone, wallet, headphones, usb stick, pen, lighter, sunglasses and phone charging cable, they'd take a long time to get to it, but first they'd need a reason to actually conduct a search on my person, if not, then I see no problem carrying one and using them
Last edited by Heckler303 on 12 Oct 2015, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bluerob » 09 Oct 2015, 6:47 pm

Apollo wrote:Isn't it also illegal in some states to carry a knife of any description...????

Very interesting point in country NSW. Youngster wearing a knife in a pouch in town will probably get pulled up if not arrested. Old bugger like me doesn't get a look and most times doesn't even think about it as it's always been a way of life. Pocket knife on belt is part of the furniture.

BTW...I wonder if that Gun Shop was in Brisbane.... :-)

Yep, Voldymort.....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 10 Oct 2015, 7:13 pm

Check your stats legislation.

I carry a knife on my belt every day…..I use it at work and on the weekend for hundreds of different reasons. TRUST ME…it is NOT for defensive purposes. I would be more likely to have it used against me if I pulled it out. Its not a flick knife or illegal in any way.

I would prefer my 1911 9mm S&W, or better still a M&P in something more compact for CCW…….if only I could.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 10 Oct 2015, 11:49 pm

Way back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth I used to carry a pocket knife in a pouch on my belt everywhere, including school. Being a regional school with plenty of farmers sons, it was actually quite a common accessory to see while walking around the school.

And you wanna know what? we never had a single stabbing.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bluerob » 11 Oct 2015, 8:48 am

I have it on good authority that you are allowed to carry a "multi tool" type knife, but, essentially, its all about your intent (this is for NSW). I also have a miniture baseball bat (designed to whack kingies) that has never been questioned. I own a heap of "multi tool" Leathermans. I always misplace, buy another and eventually find one behind the sounders or stuck somewhere. Do you really need to carry your multi tool if you're going to watch the footy? Not really, unless you're cutting up the oranges. God knows how many diving knives I own that are also on the boat.

If you can't provide a reasonable explanation for having a 10" bowie in the car, then you'll probably find yourself in serious strife.

For example, I'd have at least 6 knives on my boat - the intent is fishing, not looking to use it for personal defence. Never had a problem at the ramps or when the authorities come alongside for a chat.

Nope, the advertisment that I was referring to wasn't intended for "other markets" or for those individuals who are permitted to carry (i.e. security guards) and our state Police don't get to choose their service firearm, such as some places in the USA.

I can't see many private security firms offering staff a $3,000 pistol to carry.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 11 Oct 2015, 11:17 pm

In the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, it is illegal to carry a knife. Whether you have a reason or not. Only exception is if you are using it for work at that very instant. Minimum 90 days in jail and $200 fine. It's a disgrace, but more kind of silly I guess. You can carry a gun, though, of course (with a permit).
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 12 Oct 2015, 7:52 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 13 Feb 2017, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusC » 12 Oct 2015, 1:16 pm

Minimum 3 months jail :shock:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Oct 2015, 1:49 pm

No street dining.could you imagine how long a restaraunteur would go away for if they left cutlery on an outdoors dining setting?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 12 Oct 2015, 11:42 pm

AusC wrote:Minimum 3 months jail :shock:

Yes. It's rediculous. I can have a loaded gun on my hip but no knife.

Funny thing is, you walk around Philly and you see a knife pocket clip sticking out of every other pocket. The police don't enforce it. They use it to jack you up if you tick them off and probably as an ad-on charge for people involved in criminal activity.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BBJ » 15 Oct 2015, 2:04 pm

Title_II wrote:Yes. It's rediculous. I can have a loaded gun on my hip but no knife.

Maybe the solution is to get one of the rocket knife thing that shoot the blade, then you can say it's a firearm not a knife :mrgreen:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Title_II » 16 Oct 2015, 12:02 am

BBJ wrote:
Title_II wrote:Yes. It's rediculous. I can have a loaded gun on my hip but no knife.

Maybe the solution is to get one of the rocket knife thing that shoot the blade, then you can say it's a firearm not a knife :mrgreen:

I'm sure they'll love that. I'll do it with an Australian accent just for good measure and as a tribute :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rocker » 21 Oct 2015, 8:16 am

Title_II wrote:I'll do it with an Australian accent just for good measure and as a tribute :D

Give it one of these :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09ghiWskUk
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 21 Oct 2015, 11:37 pm

I'm glad all I have to do is decide which gun and which knife to carry. Not whether I can or can not carry.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 22 Oct 2015, 6:44 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I'm glad all I have to do is decide which gun and which knife to carry. Not whether I can or can not carry.

Me too. I don't live in Philly :)

I'm glad I don't have to worry about WHERE I carry. The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has almost no places off limits and there are no gun sign laws.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chickenhawk » 22 Oct 2015, 9:30 am

GLS_1956 wrote:I'm glad all I have to do is decide which gun and which knife to carry. Not whether I can or can not carry.

That would be nice :cry:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers