New Ruger American Pistol

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

New Ruger American Pistol

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Jan 2016, 2:57 am

Sooo... Ruger have just released the latest edition to their line up, the American Pistol. Haven't had a decent chance to read up on it yet, but it may be the goods, and comes in .45. Problem is the barrel length: 4.2" for 9mm and 4.5" (114.3mm) in .45. Damn it, so close. Perhaps they will release new versions with slightly longer barrels? Here's hoping...

Anyway, in the meantime, has anyone else had a chance to do any reading on them? And if so, any early opinions?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: New Ruger American Pistol

Post by GLS_1956 » 07 Jan 2016, 12:11 am

I'll wait and see, I'm not really looking for a polymer framed pistol, but I can say their SR 1911 is worth the bucks.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Redwood » 11 Jan 2016, 8:16 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Perhaps they will release new versions with slightly longer barrels? Here's hoping...

I wouldn't hold my breath. Took them 2 years(?) to do a version of the Scout with a threaded muzzle that we could have in Aus and these won't be anywhere near as popular to create a demand for it.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Jan 2016, 1:10 pm

Only hope would be for Nioa to arrange one of those "distributor exclusives", but I honestly don't see there would be enough demand, either
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wheedle » 13 Jan 2016, 1:44 pm

Redwood wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath. Took them 2 years(?) to do a version of the Scout with a threaded muzzle that we could have in Aus and these won't be anywhere near as popular to create a demand for it.

Yep.

All because the thread was the same measurement as a military style rifle somewhere :roll:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 18 Jan 2016, 8:55 am

It's an absolute joke that the thread was the reason that was delayed.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 18 Jan 2016, 9:00 am

why cant you guys get it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 18 Jan 2016, 9:13 am

Wobble wrote:It's an absolute joke that the thread was the reason that was delayed.

It wasn't the thread itself as such. It's was because the US state department classes it as a military firearm because of the flash hider and the 16" barrel. Ruger agreed to make an 18" version with s plain barrel and no issue.

Similar to issues with the Mossberg MPV it's the ITAR laws that affect exports that are the problem not Australia's import laws

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 20 Jan 2016, 1:27 pm

I thought it was because the thread matched a military rifle too.

Initially we got the 'international version' with the unthreaded 18" barrel like you say Chronos. Now though (since about 18 months after the release) we can get the 16" barrel with flash hider, it just has a different thread to the US version.

Total garbage and waste of time obviously but that's what they did.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 05 Feb 2016, 10:21 am

Maybe they're worried about someone getting hit with the muzzle and one thread is a bit pointier than the other :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 18 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

You could give someone a modest scratch if you really pressed the thread into them! :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 18 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

wrenchman wrote:why cant you guys get it

We are only allowed 5" barrel handguns and ONLY for target comp use.. Security and police exception of course.

Stupid hey. If you are a criminal a 3", 4" or 5" is concealable enough and nobody would know the difference. Just one of the more stupid restrictions we have here. :oops:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 18 Feb 2016, 9:16 pm

I asked the question of my friend Tom Gresham, if anyone had an inside scoop I thought he might. If he had a news scoop, i would not be able to post it here (sorry) but I can post this;

David:

Ruger is very tight-lipped about what they have planned. I don’t know any plans about that pistol.

I would expect them to bring it out in a compact version fairly soon. Don’t know about any other versions. The concealed carry market would drive the compact version, I’d guess.

Best,

Tom

I would say it would be a while even if they do a 5", we are not worthy of even a distributor special.

I sure would like one. :D
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Usurper » 29 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

Yelp wrote:You could give someone a modest scratch if you really pressed the thread into them! :lol:

OMG THE CHILDREN! :lol:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 07 Mar 2016, 11:41 am

David Brown wrote:I asked the question of my friend Tom Gresham, if anyone had an inside scoop I thought he might. If he had a news scoop, i would not be able to post it here (sorry) but I can post this;

David:

Ruger is very tight-lipped about what they have planned. I don’t know any plans about that pistol.

I would expect them to bring it out in a compact version fairly soon. Don’t know about any other versions. The concealed carry market would drive the compact version, I’d guess.

Best,

Tom

I would say it would be a while even if they do a 5", we are not worthy of even a distributor special.

I sure would like one. :D

Well, well, well……… I asked Tom about this, and he went straight to the top of the tree with the question of the Ruger chief at the IWA show in Germany, listen in here http://guntalk.libsyn.com/guntalk-03-06-2016-part-a

May be hope. :D
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 07 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

i didnt no till a few weeks ago that you guys have the poppulation of about size of one of our states so you guys will most likely get a california version when they make one.
I think the limit is 4.5
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 07 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

wrenchman wrote:i didnt no till a few weeks ago that you guys have the poppulation of about size of one of our states so you guys will most likely get a california version when they make one.
I think the limit is 4.5

We actually have a population the size of the greater Los Angeles basin :shock: Arund 24 million.

We have a minimum barrel length requirement of 5"
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 07 Mar 2016, 5:06 pm

David Brown wrote:
wrenchman wrote:i didnt no till a few weeks ago that you guys have the poppulation of about size of one of our states so you guys will most likely get a california version when they make one.
I think the limit is 4.5

We actually have a population the size of the greater Los Angeles basin :shock: Arund 24 million.

We have a minimum barrel length requirement of 5"

Oklahoma has just under 70,000 square miles, you convert it to square kilometers, and a population of around 3.9 million people and around, I'm guessing, 2,000,000 guns.

For handguns I don't know if there is a minimum length. I know my brother's 45Colt/.410 shotgun derringer has about 1/2 inch of rifled barrel(s). If it didn't have the rifling it would be considered a sawed off shotgun and be a class 3 firearm. Legal to own, but pricey.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by David Brown » 07 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

I do go to OK a bit, have some fairly good friends there, famous for a few things. I love their culture and firearms. :-)

Are you an OKIE?
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 05 Apr 2016, 3:40 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:I'm guessing, 2,000,000 guns.

Not a bad effort :D
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers