glock 17, 19 or 26?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

glock 17, 19 or 26?

Post by gunnerjacky » 21 Jan 2016, 4:51 pm

Hey guys, could you please tell me which Glock should I buy - Glock 17, Glock 19 or Glock 26? I prefer easy to handle, beauty and accuracy. I'll be grateful to your responses.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: glock 17, 19 or 26?

Post by brett1868 » 21 Jan 2016, 5:09 pm

What's the intended purpose? I use a Glock 17 G4 for Service Pistol and quite like the simplicity of it. Not sure where you're located but there's a minimum barrel length and I don't think the Compact 19 and Sub Compact 26 meet the minimum length for purchase in NSW on a Cat H license.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Jan 2016, 5:48 pm

Which Glock? the Glock model fs92 of course......or even the glock model 1911A1 :lol: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Chronos » 21 Jan 2016, 7:56 pm

Glock 17A or 34 are your only choices unless you're carrying it for work

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 21 Jan 2016, 11:53 pm

Having read up on the models >15 years ago out of curiosity... Legalities and subsequent developments unknown.

The choice would be 17. (or 17L) If I recall correctly only the 17 and one other model were engineered to be capable of being fired underwater (with hearing precautions/protection) with modified spring cups (letting the firing pin move fast enough).
The over engineering required for that lead to their reputation for working reliably in adverse conditions, ice, mud, snow.

Just an opinion FWIW. Too put off by the legal complications from considering handguns for sport or whatever usage.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 22 Jan 2016, 8:10 am

I've been looking too, I can't wait to get my hands on a Glock 17! I've used my mates G34 and it's a nice gun but the 17 is much easier to handle and will suit IPSC match's better imo. Also the 34 because of the the longer slide if you don't use bullets with enough BANG the slide wont come back and complete the cycle all the time. ( sorry for the noob description I'll get there guys :oops: )
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 22 Jan 2016, 9:55 am

OODAH wrote:I've been looking too, I can't wait to get my hands on a Glock 17! I've used my mates G34 and it's a nice gun but the 17 is much easier to handle and will suit IPSC match's better imo. Also the 34 because of the the longer slide if you don't use bullets with enough BANG the slide wont come back and complete the cycle all the time. ( sorry for the noob description I'll get there guys :oops: )

The G17A ( for Australia because of the 120mm barrel required for our handgun laws) is a duty or service pistol by design. Light so police can carry more rounds and sloppy chambers so it'll keep cycling in dirty conditions. It's not a target pistol be any means but a solid workhorse none the less

The G34 seems to be designed for IPSC matches. Longer slide means longer sight radius and better accuracy. Add to that the more slide weight means less recoil and faster sight acquisition because of reduced muzzle flip.

From memory the 34 also comes with adjustable sights and an improved trigger

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 22 Jan 2016, 11:59 am

Chronos wrote:
OODAH wrote:I've been looking too, I can't wait to get my hands on a Glock 17! I've used my mates G34 and it's a nice gun but the 17 is much easier to handle and will suit IPSC match's better imo. Also the 34 because of the the longer slide if you don't use bullets with enough BANG the slide wont come back and complete the cycle all the time. ( sorry for the noob description I'll get there guys :oops: )

The G17A ( for Australia because of the 120mm barrel required for our handgun laws) is a duty or service pistol by design. Light so police can carry more rounds and sloppy chambers so it'll keep cycling in dirty conditions. It's not a target pistol be any means but a solid workhorse none the less

The G34 seems to be designed for IPSC matches. Longer slide means longer sight radius and better accuracy. Add to that the more slide weight means less recoil and faster sight acquisition because of reduced muzzle flip.

From memory the 34 also comes with adjustable sights and an improved trigger

Chronos

Hmmm back to the drawing board, thanks Chronos more research is needed
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 22 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

I would buy something else. Only reason to buy a Glock is to carry it. They are not good for much else.

To answer your questions, I think the 17 looks like ass. If I was in your position,, I would buy the 19. But it sounds like that might not be legal. If you are OK with the way the 17 looks, bigger is better for a range gun.

I carry a 19, a .38 S&W 15, and a Colt 1903 .32 as a backup.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2016, 12:37 pm

9mm is a little light for IPSC, look at either a 38 Super or the 357 Sig as those are the predominate calibers in use. I go the Glock cause it's cheap and will take a flogging which makes it perfect for practising at the range. I'll be switching to a 357 revolver in the near future for service pistol and use low power 38 Special ammo.
Last edited by brett1868 on 30 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 22 Jan 2016, 1:05 pm

.36 Special? I've seen enough here to not quickly discount that as a typo. Please explain?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 22 Jan 2016, 1:46 pm

As long as you're happy to shoot production class IPSC (and I recommend all new pistol shooters do) there is nothing wrong with a 9mm. It's light recoil and is easy to load nature make it ideal for the Glock but most shooters will struggle with a block in the .357 SIG

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 22 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

A .357 SIG Glock has less muzzle flip than a 9mm Glock in my experience. Or a .45 GAP. That ammunition is pricey and not common on the shelf around here, however. Flip matters more to me than a little push.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Jan 2016, 7:51 am

I went the 34 simply because I hate the little stub of barrel sticking out on the 17A. As mentioned above you get a longer sight radius and adjustable rear sight on the 34 too. I looked at the 17L a little while ago just for something different, it has a 6" barrel so longer sight radius again but could be a little unwieldy for the more action oriented matches, for shooting extended ranges where time isn't a factor though it would be fun.

What match are you interested in shooting? The Glock's are far from precision firearms but can be made more usable with a couple of mods. I swapped out the trigger connector for 3.5lb and polished all the bearing surfaces and swapped the front sight for a Hi-Viz and I've found it remarkably easier to shoot.

The only thing I want to change now is the rear sight. That white outline s**ts me and the factory sights are made of polymer, I'd much prefer a steel sight.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jan 2016, 8:10 am

Title_II wrote:.36 Special? I've seen enough here to not quickly discount that as a typo. Please explain?

Doh...38 Special...the 6 key is too close to the 8 key :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnerjacky » 30 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

Basically, I want a glock which serves all of my purposes - that is both defense and CCW. I found that 17 is best for home defense.
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by junjun » 31 Jan 2016, 11:02 pm

gunnerjacky wrote:Basically, I want a glock which serves all of my purposes - that is both defense and CCW. I found that 17 is best for home defense.

Pretty sure you are not allow to use firearms for self-defence in Australia. If you store you fireamrs and ammo correctly. It takes a bit of time for you locate both keys, open both safe, put the ammo in.

People often say when an intruder comes it, they will use whatever necessary to defend themselves and their family. However, if these people need to worry one day they might have armed intruder, not sure if they are fit to have the licence at the first place.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 01 Feb 2016, 5:54 am

junjun wrote:
gunnerjacky wrote:Basically, I want a glock which serves all of my purposes - that is both defense and CCW. I found that 17 is best for home defense.

Pretty sure you are not allow to use firearms for self-defence in Australia. If you store you fireamrs and ammo correctly. It takes a bit of time for you locate both keys, open both safe, put the ammo in.

People often say when an intruder comes it, they will use whatever necessary to defend themselves and their family. However, if these people need to worry one day they might have armed intruder, not sure if they are fit to have the licence at the first place.

Pretty safe bet jacks not in Australia

" Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School"

Careful not to judge everyone by our standards

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 01 Feb 2016, 6:23 am

He came to an odd place to ask about a carry gun.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 01 Feb 2016, 8:07 am

Title_II wrote:He came to an odd place to ask about a carry gun.

I agree and I made the same mistake of assuming the op was in Australia and saying Ng his choices were limited to 120mm barrel models.

I guess there's a good reason to fill in the "location" cell in your profile :thumbsup:

Interestingly on my phone the members location doesn't show in portrayed view and I must rotate my phone for it to show :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by junjun » 01 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

Chronos wrote:
junjun wrote:

Pretty safe bet jacks not in Australia

" Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School"

Careful not to judge everyone by our standards

Chronos

Hm...Missed that one. And we do have an interesting standard in gun laws. I am only very recently getting into the shooting sport, and I can see many regulations that are a bit silly.
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 01 Feb 2016, 2:50 pm

Chronos wrote:Light so police can carry more rounds and sloppy chambers so it'll keep cycling in dirty conditions. It's not a target pistol be any means but a solid workhorse none the less

A bit off topic here but along those lines, do you know what constitutes "accurate enough" for police/security guard use?

As you say they are not target pistols but given the situations where one is going to be used a certain level of accuracy would be critical.

I'm just curious what it is.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by gunnerjacky » 07 Apr 2016, 3:54 pm

I am basically from Boston (Massachusetts) where it is a gun law which says you cannot carry a gun unless you possess MA Gun License. And in order to get this license the citizens have to go through NRA certified firearms safety training lessons. But, I didn't know that gun law is not there in Australia. So, bump for that.. :|
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 07 Apr 2016, 5:45 pm

In S.A I EDC (every day carry) either my Glock 19 Gen 3 or my 26 Gen 4. For IDPA I use my 19. However when I was doing IPSC I used to only use my 34.
The 17 just does not have a place and I cant remember when last i shot mine.
However if i was not going to be using a Glock for EDC, I would not use it for sport shooting, I would rather get myself a SP1 Shadow.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 14 Apr 2016, 10:52 am

Yeah, I like to keep my 6 key on a separate keyboard over to the side so I don't accidentally press it :P
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers