new hand gun

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: new hand gun

Post by Wobble » 20 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:But what about the guy who's wearing a thick leather jacket with quilted woolen lining plus a hoodie?

What about it?

Not having a go at you, but if you hung a leather jacket with a wool liner and a hoody up and shot them with a .38 you think it was just gently come to rest in the wool and not penetrate? Of course you don't.

They're clothes, not armour. Approaching paranoia here IMO.

It's not the same guys who say you must not care about your family unless you've got a M16 under the mattress who are worried about this is it? :roll:

2c.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 20 Apr 2016, 6:21 pm

It is well known that leather and heavy clothing can reduce penetration from lower powered rounds. Heck, it has been demonstrated in combat in Korea. I'm not saying it will stop the bullet (although that has happened as well), but it may cut some inches off penetration. Also, as discussed, heavy material can clog hollowpoints and cause them not to open, or not open as wide. Modern ammo is a little better at dealing with this but it still happens.

Rounds like .38 and .380 have had underpenetration issues to start with in the history of their use.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm

Only because like most military ammo in years gone by, they were issued with a load of rubbish that was badly lacking in all areas. Today you get proper carry ammo that alleviates most of those problems. Take a Gold dot +P round from a .38 and see if any leather jacket is going to offer you any protection from that. I can assure you that its going to find its mark.
As for a revolver as a self defence carry weapon, NO thank you, you can keep it.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 24 May 2016, 10:24 am

Why do you say that about the revolver?
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warner520 » 22 Dec 2016, 8:37 am

Brett1868 , are you running factory ammo or hand loads in your 460S&W ?
I friend of mine just got one and he uses it for metal plate shoots at local club.
I think he is running 240 gr Hornady HP/XTP pills and 43 gr of ADI powder.

I had a 5 shots with it I was surprised with it as it did not have as much muzzle lift as I thought it would have.

How much do they sell for in NSW ?
Warner520
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers