new hand gun

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: new hand gun

Post by wrenchman » 08 Apr 2016, 8:53 am

went to shoot today the kid shot the new gun and he let me shoot it to he shot it good i noticed i shoot it low.
i shot the 92and did much better and the gp100 we went threw 300 round 200 38s and 100 9mm.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wes » 08 Apr 2016, 1:12 pm

Title_II wrote:I wanted that .38 for years. Everybody kept telling me, "Get the .357, you can always shoot .38 out of it." But that's not what I wanted. I wanted the S&W .38 we grew up with back in the old days.

You can :unknown:

Obviously it's not a .380 down .357 pipe, I'm missing something?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Apr 2016, 1:52 pm

Wes wrote:
Title_II wrote:I wanted that .38 for years. Everybody kept telling me, "Get the .357, you can always shoot .38 out of it." But that's not what I wanted. I wanted the S&W .38 we grew up with back in the old days.

You can :unknown:

Obviously it's not a .380 down .357 pipe, I'm missing something?

Yep....many revolvers can fire different rounds providing they are similar caliber. In this case a pistol chambered for .357 can also shoot .38 Special, refer to table below from S&W manual for other combinations.

x-ref.JPG
x-ref.JPG (63.17 KiB) Viewed 7251 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Apr 2016, 4:04 pm

The 357 of 357Magnum is an arbitrary number... uses 359 pro in a 346/355 barrel, exactly the same as the 38 Special...

Main difference is the length of the case, hence the 38S fits in the 357Mag chamber...

44Rem.Mag. is another one..... 44 is a totally arbitrary number; proj is 432 while barrel is 417/429

Just names and numbers :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 09 Apr 2016, 2:35 am

Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 09 Apr 2016, 11:20 am

Title_II wrote:Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.

I am so confused by this haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 09 Apr 2016, 11:44 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:
Title_II wrote:Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.

I am so confused by this haha

Well, there are two issues. Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat. And that they want more penetration. All of our hunters here know peneration is king, and expansion is queen. You probably won't face a lethal threat squared off at you, you are more likely to have to shoot through a hand and sideways through the body. And that requires serious stuff.

On the flip side, most people in USA that carry guns conceal them. It's very common for people to carry small guns wearing summer clothes because it is harder to conceal large, more effective guns with very light clothing. I don't care, but it's certainly true.

So, for many people, there are two different seasonal factors that determine the load/firearm for some people.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wobble » 12 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

Title_II wrote:Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat.

I'm not an expert on such things but surely that's nonsense right?

A puffy jacket surely won't offer anything significant in the way of protection if at attacked takes a .38 from a few feet away?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Apr 2016, 4:51 pm

Silk and arrows.....you'd be surprised . ..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Apr 2016, 7:38 pm

Wobble wrote:
Title_II wrote:Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat.

I'm not an expert on such things but surely that's nonsense right?

A puffy jacket surely won't offer anything significant in the way of protection if at attacked takes a .38 from a few feet away?

But what about the guy who's wearing a thick leather jacket with quilted woolen lining plus a hoodie?

People worry about the hollow point getting plugged and the round not expanding. I so want a smaller 1911 to have as a carry gun, three inch tube and chopped grip, but a Commander sized with the four inch barrel would hide easier that the full sized 1911s I presently have. I do like the idea of starting off with a bullet that is .452 inch in diameter and will only get bigger.

But the 45 is rarely carried, the 38 often carried, and the 22Mag carried if nothing else will hide.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by gunnerjacky » 12 Apr 2016, 9:13 pm

Charter Arms is a good revolver manufacturing company. I don't own any Charter Arms guns right now but what I have heard from people who have got this, I must say I'm impressed. It is fun to be the owner of Glock 17 but I'll get Charter Arms gun on my next birthday.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

I shot a 567 from a possible 900 tonight in 50m Service Pistol at St Mary's which is a nice improvement on my previous 511. Need to work on my unsighted technique as I scored a miserable 7 from a possible 120 in that section :oops: Going to switch from the Glock 17 to the Beretta for next weeks match and see if that helps. Takes a bit of mental preparation to shoot pistol, I've grouped 5 into 4" at 1000m with a rifle but somehow I'm expected to be happy with a 4" 6 shot group at 25m....
For those thinking to take up pistol shooting, don't hesitate, get into it as the comps are fun and challenging. So far, everyone I've met has bent over backwards to help me improve my technique or explain the various stages to me.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 20 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:But what about the guy who's wearing a thick leather jacket with quilted woolen lining plus a hoodie?

What about it?

Not having a go at you, but if you hung a leather jacket with a wool liner and a hoody up and shot them with a .38 you think it was just gently come to rest in the wool and not penetrate? Of course you don't.

They're clothes, not armour. Approaching paranoia here IMO.

It's not the same guys who say you must not care about your family unless you've got a M16 under the mattress who are worried about this is it? :roll:

2c.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 20 Apr 2016, 6:21 pm

It is well known that leather and heavy clothing can reduce penetration from lower powered rounds. Heck, it has been demonstrated in combat in Korea. I'm not saying it will stop the bullet (although that has happened as well), but it may cut some inches off penetration. Also, as discussed, heavy material can clog hollowpoints and cause them not to open, or not open as wide. Modern ammo is a little better at dealing with this but it still happens.

Rounds like .38 and .380 have had underpenetration issues to start with in the history of their use.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by WayneO » 20 Apr 2016, 10:16 pm

Only because like most military ammo in years gone by, they were issued with a load of rubbish that was badly lacking in all areas. Today you get proper carry ammo that alleviates most of those problems. Take a Gold dot +P round from a .38 and see if any leather jacket is going to offer you any protection from that. I can assure you that its going to find its mark.
As for a revolver as a self defence carry weapon, NO thank you, you can keep it.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Zilla » 24 May 2016, 10:24 am

Why do you say that about the revolver?
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warner520 » 22 Dec 2016, 8:37 am

Brett1868 , are you running factory ammo or hand loads in your 460S&W ?
I friend of mine just got one and he uses it for metal plate shoots at local club.
I think he is running 240 gr Hornady HP/XTP pills and 43 gr of ADI powder.

I had a 5 shots with it I was surprised with it as it did not have as much muzzle lift as I thought it would have.

How much do they sell for in NSW ?
Warner520
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers