FB_IMG_1458958576362.jpg
FB_IMG_1458958576362.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 7649 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: new hand gun

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Mar 2016, 12:36 pm

Nice, didn't fancy the nitride finish? We don't see Charter Arms here much anymore due to our bloody silly barrel length restrictions, but I recall I had to use my S&W 37 quite a bit to get used to the noise and flash. A 357 snubbie must be intense!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

No Charter Arms in the family right now, actually a brother owns one of the AR-7s they made, but would like to add the 44 special Bulldog to the stable. I was looking for a 44 when I picked up my Taurus 85..
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 26 Mar 2016, 1:02 pm

my brother had a bulldog they are both gone he sold the gun and cancer got him i miss them both.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Mar 2016, 1:27 pm

Come on wrenchie, a little 357 for the boy??
What is he, soft or something? at least a fordyfor :lol: :wtf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seriously, is this for defense? or fun?
Why have you gone revolver over semiauto, ease of use / simpler operation for the lad?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by wrenchman » 26 Mar 2016, 2:00 pm

he got it more as a carry gun but he wants to shoot it so there will be some fun to it.
i am not to sure why a revolver it is what he wanted he has been looking for a pug for a while he has a 1911 and he has shot ever gun i have i think he is like me and just likes a revolver.
he was telling me he wants a ruger blackhawk convertible next
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Mar 2016, 11:48 pm

I've years with both wheelguns and the semis. I chose a revolver for my first carry gun because it gave me an excuse to buy a snubnose 38, a box that hadn't been filled yet, since all the handguns I had were full sized. Six inch Python, 4 inch S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt, 5 inch 1911 and a P-35 Browning Hi-Power with it's 4 inch tube. Also the revolver allows me to fire 148gr match wadcutters for fun and practice, which almost feels like shooting 22s.

I'll admit to also having a NAA 5 shot mini-revolver that can be hidden while wearing swimming trunks. After all rule #1 of being in a gunfight is to have a gun.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 06 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Too old tech for me :D I got one of these sitting in the shop awaiting paperwork which should arrive mid next week.

Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks and feels.

IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2220.JPG (224.22 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Apr 2016, 8:37 pm

very nice..... you like it a bit different dont you Brett, most going for the Beret would have gone FS.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 06 Apr 2016, 9:15 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:very nice..... you like it a bit different dont you Brett, most going for the Beret would have gone FS.....

I like different :D Originally looked at the 92FS cause it's one of the most recognisable hand guns on the planet along with the Desert Eagle thanks to Hollywood movies. Was doing the due diligence and found the Wilson Combat version and it's definitely a step up in quality and performance but also in price. All going to plan I'll report back on how it shoots in a couple weeks. I'd love a 460 S&W with the 3.5" barrel just for the awesome muzzle flash but the fun police won't allow it in NSW :(
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 07 Apr 2016, 12:32 am

Nice looking Beretta. You've made me realize that I lack a DA semiauto, all of my semiautos are single action guns, all metal, like the Beretta, too not a poly pistol in the bunch. Another box yet to be filled in.

I've a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with the 5 1/2 inch barrel, it's enough of a handful as is, I don't know why you'd want a wrist breaker like a 3 1/2 inch tubed 460.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2016, 7:55 am

when i got my taurus pt92 i did look at the beretta its a very nice gun
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 07 Apr 2016, 2:04 pm

I have to confess to owning an old fashioned "Wheel Gun" but only 1..... :D

IMG_2193.JPG
S&W 460 XVR 8.38"
IMG_2193.JPG (176.83 KiB) Viewed 7482 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 07 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

It looks like a fine gun. Very happy for him.

Wheelguns have their place but it's really not EDC in my opinion. Some women prefer them because of weak hands, they make decent BUGs, and they are better for ankle carry if you have to go deep.

Then again, the first rule of a gun fight is bring a gun. The second rule is first good hole usually wins. Third is shoot early and often.

If he likes wheelguns, then he nails the first two.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by adam » 07 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm

Title_II wrote:Wheelguns have their place but it's really not EDC in my opinion.

I'm not sure what EDC stands for, but if it's not talking about target shooting - well, we're not allowed to have 'wheel' guns for anything else in this convict nation.

The first rule to an Australian "gunfight" is he who gets the highest score wins...

Or if you're talking out in the street - the criminal wins as they'll be the only one with a gun. :(
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 07 Apr 2016, 10:50 pm

Every Day Carry. BUG = Back Up Gun

He said he got the gun for carry, not me.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Apr 2016, 12:05 am

My favorite wheel gun, revolver, is my 6 inch barreled Colt Python. Yes there are more powerful, I have a 44 Magnum thank you very much, and yes there are more concealable, I've got that box checked as well. But there is not a gun made that is as well made and balanced as the Python.

My normal carry gun is a Taurus snub nose 38. My if nothing else carry is a NAA 22mag mini-revolver and my "If I can get away with it carry is a full sized 1911 in 45ACP.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 08 Apr 2016, 2:41 am

I carry a .38 sometimes, but full size. I generally carry it to BBQs and stuff because I have a nice holster for it. And I know other people are carrying so I am less concerned about trouble or firepower.

I wanted that .38 for years. Everybody kept telling me, "Get the .357, you can always shoot .38 out of it." But that's not what I wanted. I wanted the S&W .38 we grew up with back in the old days.

I spent half the cost of the gun on the holster. The dealer I got the holster from has a knack for playing me like a piano and getting money out of my wallet :) I'm glad I got it, though. Very nice. Very few people notice my Glock in my black Galco holster. But this brown holster with extra thick stitching turns heads. I startled the crap out of some French people in line at a grocery store. I don't know much French but they were babbling away about me once they regained their composure. I thought they were going to start taking pictures. They were fascinated.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 08 Apr 2016, 8:53 am

went to shoot today the kid shot the new gun and he let me shoot it to he shot it good i noticed i shoot it low.
i shot the 92and did much better and the gp100 we went threw 300 round 200 38s and 100 9mm.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wes » 08 Apr 2016, 1:12 pm

Title_II wrote:I wanted that .38 for years. Everybody kept telling me, "Get the .357, you can always shoot .38 out of it." But that's not what I wanted. I wanted the S&W .38 we grew up with back in the old days.

You can :unknown:

Obviously it's not a .380 down .357 pipe, I'm missing something?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Apr 2016, 1:52 pm

Wes wrote:
Title_II wrote:I wanted that .38 for years. Everybody kept telling me, "Get the .357, you can always shoot .38 out of it." But that's not what I wanted. I wanted the S&W .38 we grew up with back in the old days.

You can :unknown:

Obviously it's not a .380 down .357 pipe, I'm missing something?

Yep....many revolvers can fire different rounds providing they are similar caliber. In this case a pistol chambered for .357 can also shoot .38 Special, refer to table below from S&W manual for other combinations.

x-ref.JPG
x-ref.JPG (63.17 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 08 Apr 2016, 4:04 pm

The 357 of 357Magnum is an arbitrary number... uses 359 pro in a 346/355 barrel, exactly the same as the 38 Special...

Main difference is the length of the case, hence the 38S fits in the 357Mag chamber...

44Rem.Mag. is another one..... 44 is a totally arbitrary number; proj is 432 while barrel is 417/429

Just names and numbers :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 09 Apr 2016, 2:35 am

Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 09 Apr 2016, 11:20 am

Title_II wrote:Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.

I am so confused by this haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 09 Apr 2016, 11:44 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:
Title_II wrote:Yup. My buddy carries a .357 and he carries .38 in the summer and .357 in the winter.

I am so confused by this haha

Well, there are two issues. Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat. And that they want more penetration. All of our hunters here know peneration is king, and expansion is queen. You probably won't face a lethal threat squared off at you, you are more likely to have to shoot through a hand and sideways through the body. And that requires serious stuff.

On the flip side, most people in USA that carry guns conceal them. It's very common for people to carry small guns wearing summer clothes because it is harder to conceal large, more effective guns with very light clothing. I don't care, but it's certainly true.

So, for many people, there are two different seasonal factors that determine the load/firearm for some people.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wobble » 12 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

Title_II wrote:Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat.

I'm not an expert on such things but surely that's nonsense right?

A puffy jacket surely won't offer anything significant in the way of protection if at attacked takes a .38 from a few feet away?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Apr 2016, 4:51 pm

Silk and arrows.....you'd be surprised . ..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Apr 2016, 7:38 pm

Wobble wrote:
Title_II wrote:Some people that carry less load than they should, and seem to think they should upgrade in the winter because they think their potential enemy will be wearing layers of clothes and a coat.

I'm not an expert on such things but surely that's nonsense right?

A puffy jacket surely won't offer anything significant in the way of protection if at attacked takes a .38 from a few feet away?

But what about the guy who's wearing a thick leather jacket with quilted woolen lining plus a hoodie?

People worry about the hollow point getting plugged and the round not expanding. I so want a smaller 1911 to have as a carry gun, three inch tube and chopped grip, but a Commander sized with the four inch barrel would hide easier that the full sized 1911s I presently have. I do like the idea of starting off with a bullet that is .452 inch in diameter and will only get bigger.

But the 45 is rarely carried, the 38 often carried, and the 22Mag carried if nothing else will hide.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by gunnerjacky » 12 Apr 2016, 9:13 pm

Charter Arms is a good revolver manufacturing company. I don't own any Charter Arms guns right now but what I have heard from people who have got this, I must say I'm impressed. It is fun to be the owner of Glock 17 but I'll get Charter Arms gun on my next birthday.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Apr 2016, 11:38 pm

I shot a 567 from a possible 900 tonight in 50m Service Pistol at St Mary's which is a nice improvement on my previous 511. Need to work on my unsighted technique as I scored a miserable 7 from a possible 120 in that section :oops: Going to switch from the Glock 17 to the Beretta for next weeks match and see if that helps. Takes a bit of mental preparation to shoot pistol, I've grouped 5 into 4" at 1000m with a rifle but somehow I'm expected to be happy with a 4" 6 shot group at 25m....
For those thinking to take up pistol shooting, don't hesitate, get into it as the comps are fun and challenging. So far, everyone I've met has bent over backwards to help me improve my technique or explain the various stages to me.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers