walther pistol ... .22 feeding reliability

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

walther pistol ... .22 feeding reliability

Post by Rocdocta » 07 May 2016, 4:49 pm

After a 14 year break i want to get back into shooting gain. Now for am looking at buying a pistol. It would be a walther .22. However i have heard that they arent that reliable. Has anyone any feedback regarding this? I may get the 9mm version if the .22 is unreliable.

cheers

Chris
Rocdocta
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: walther pistol ... .22 feeding reliability

Post by brett1868 » 07 May 2016, 5:20 pm

Let YouTube guide you, watch all the reviews and see what others have learnt. I ended up getting a Ruger MkIII Competition not because they are pretty or bear a European brand but because they just work. As an added bonus they are reasonably cheap and quite accurate with plenty of spare parts available.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 07 May 2016, 6:59 pm

Which walther 22?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 07 May 2016, 11:55 pm

My Walther 22 is a 22 caliber clone of the Colt 1911. Colt has even licensed Walther to use/market the gun as a Colt. I've only had it out to the range once since I got it and yes it is a brand new gun. Only put about 200 to 300 rounds through it since the brother and I had taken about half a dozen guns with us. We had one failure to fire, ammo problem, one failure to extract, again ammo's fault. Two smokestacks, shooter induced I limp wristed the gun. One jam on loading, round only partially entered chamber, can't say what the cause was but it never reoccurred.

Oh by the way this was done while shooting Remington's Thunderbolt, budget, ammunition.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Homer » 08 May 2016, 9:25 am

G'Day Fella's,

Rocdocta, so often, .22LR pistols come with a recoil spring in place, that is suitable for Hi-Velocity ammo!
So when you load Standard Velocity ammo in the magazine, they can be unreliable in ejecting the fired cases!!!
The Hi-Vel spring creates to much resistance, to eject the lesser powered Standard Vel ammo!

Some .22LR pistols, come with two springs, one for each type of ammo.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 08 May 2016, 9:43 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Rocdocta, so often, .22LR pistols come with a recoil spring in place, that is suitable for Hi-Velocity ammo!
So when you load Standard Velocity ammo in the magazine, they can be unreliable in ejecting the fired cases!!!
The Hi-Vel spring creates to much resistance, to eject the lesser powered Standard Vel ammo!

Some .22LR pistols, come with two springs, one for each type of ammo.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

This ^^^

Some people are happy to buy cheap bulk ammo to run their .22 auto. I've seen it several times when researching my own GSG 1911/.22. they're designet to use high velocity ammo and sometimes don't cycle correctly with standard velocity ammo

I settled on CCI mini mags and have never had feeding issues due to ammo. I have had an issue when i used Sweets gun oil on the slide instead of my usual light weight teflon oil. Next time I used it the slide was slow and heavy causing feeding problems. flushed the heavy oil residue out and gave it a squirt with a teflon spray and fixed it immediately

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 May 2016, 10:13 am

How do you limp wrist a .22?

Anyway, Ruger is the gold standard if you want .22 reliability. Has been since I was a kid and that has not changed. I like their .22/45, too.

Here is my .22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMiTd0uvVhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2PVLeVWl7w

I also have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my Glock 19 that works well with cheap ammo.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 08 May 2016, 10:42 am

A mate had the Walther P22. It's a nice pistol but the grip is tiny. You almost have two fingers iff the bottom of the grip

I've shot a couple of Ruger's and they're my pick for .22 auto pistols.

My GSG shooting near dusk with minimags

Chronos

https://youtu.be/0PdKwWz1xPE
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 May 2016, 10:49 am

Nice :)

When you said GSG I thought it was going to be that MP-5 .22 looking thing. Never heard of GSG handgun.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 08 May 2016, 11:01 am

There is a "P22 bible" that details all the fixes you can do to improve the reliability of a P22.

Which apparently can apply to the PPQ M2 .22

Don't use federal champion standard velocity ammo in a PPQ It does not like it lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 08 May 2016, 11:29 am

Title_II wrote:Nice :)

When you said GSG I thought it was going to be that MP-5 .22 looking thing. Never heard of GSG handgun.

I bet you've heard is the Sig Sauer 1911 .22 though, same gun with Sig labels on it

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php/en/1911-tech-en

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 08 May 2016, 12:19 pm

That's really cool. I don't like the funnel magwell, though, makes it look like a race gun.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 08 May 2016, 12:25 pm

The GSG 1911 is suppose to be 80% compatible with 1911 parts.

The Colt (walther) 1911 .22 looks like a 1911 only..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 08 May 2016, 1:48 pm

Title_II wrote:That's really cool. I don't like the funnel magwell, though, makes it look like a race gun.

That's only the target model I think. Mines the AD-OPS but without the supressors

Anyway, back to the topic now

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Rocdocta » 08 May 2016, 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. My original post was rather poorly written. I am thinking of getting a Walther.22 P22Q tactical. It looks cool and if it is anything like the 9mm ppq then I would love it.

I have small hands so a small grip gun would be fine for me.

I just am after a cool gun that I can fire all day but won't cost me the earth. Not a fan of 1911 climbed and am a fan of plastic fantastic guns.
Rocdocta
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 09 May 2016, 5:40 am

The Colt (walther) 1911 .22 looks like a 1911 only..[/quote]

I can't agree with this statement, mine field strips just like the Colt Series 70 1911 and my Remington R1.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 09 May 2016, 6:52 am

I was talking about part inter changability.

There is nothing 1911 about the way the Walther Colt 1911 is made.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.86 KiB) Viewed 5273 times

The barrel is fixed on the frame, the trigger is not a 1911 style trigger etc. this has more in common with the walther PPQ m2 .22 than a 1911.

The GSG/SIG is suppose to be 80% Interchangable but I have never seen one in the flesh.

This is digressing from the ops questioN.

P22 had issues but the guys on the walther forums seem to love them

Look for the P22 bible and it details all the mods that seem to make it reliable, everyone on the walther forum swears by it.

The P22 from my limited understanding is smaller than a 9mm from Walther.

Walthers seems to be chooses about which ammo they eat up, mine hates anything federal, jams, fails to feed, fails to eject.

Cci standard it eats all day, along with eley club. I haven't tried high velocity rounds yet.

I have the PPQ m2 .22 competition
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 10 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Chronos wrote:That's only the target model I think. Mines the AD-OPS but without the supressors

Awww, got excited for a second lol
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers