Thoughts on 4 pistols

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Thoughts on 4 pistols

Post by brett1868 » 15 May 2016, 10:54 pm

Managed 3 hours of quality range time this afternoon and below are some impressions on the first shots fired from the Walther PPQ Q5 and Beretta M9A3.

The M9A3 didn't like my reloads and I don't like the trigger, too much movement between bang and reset like a D/A revolver :( I'll revisit the M9A3 in coming weeks after sourcing some different projectiles and seeing what I can do about the reset. The Trijicon sights are great, easily picked up even with my poor eyesight though it's shooting to the right a couple inches at 10m. Possibly my heads on crooked as most of my pistols with fixed sights shoot to the right, why can't they put some adjustable sights on these or at least include a set in the box so we can choose? No pictures of the groups as I'd embarrass myself too much.

The Walther PPQ Q5 is very nice to shoot, a little experimenting with loads and it'll be near perfect. I'm loving the trigger and Leupold DeltaPoint Pro, short reset on the trigger and fast target acquisition with the red dot make rapid fire so easy. I'll try a couple of the grip inserts to improve my grip as I found it a fraction too small for my medium sized mitts. My right thumb is resting on the mag release with my usual style of grip, I haven't dropped the mag accidently yet but best to try some different grips before it happens.

10 Shots using a small bag as a rest @ 10m, pulled 1 which is my fault and not the pistols.
IMG_2297.JPG
Walther PPQ Q5 10m using a rest.
IMG_2297.JPG (139.46 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

IMG_2281.JPG
Walther PPQ Q5 / Beretta M9A3
IMG_2281.JPG (271.46 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

IMG_2301.JPG
S&W 686 Competitor / Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare Fastback
IMG_2301.JPG (230.34 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

The Sig is 8 shot but when the mag is full the first round tends to jam when dropping the slide. Loading 7 rounds solves the problem, maybe a change of projectile or seating depth will help. The Sig is the best shooting of the open sight semi pistols I currently own. 32 rounds of rapid double / triple tap shooting with quick reload in standing position. I pulled 2 and 1 was an unintentional triple tap :D

IMG_2285.JPG
Sig Sauer 10m Rapid Fire
IMG_2285.JPG (151.28 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

686 Competitor using 38Spl reloads (148Gr LRN mid load) continues to impress, next outing I'll try it with different weights under the barrel to see if it makes a detectable difference or is there for wank appeal. 12 Shots double action rapid fire from the 686 Competitor firing 38Spl 145Gr LRN @ 7M. Loving this pistol more and more, will compete this Tuesday with it and give the Glock a rest.

IMG_2294.JPG
686 D/A Rapid Fire 7m
IMG_2294.JPG (137.24 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

Clean cases, No carbon or discolouration. Interesting little bulge just below the neck on cases fired in the Walther.
IMG_2299.JPG
Fired brass comes out clean
IMG_2299.JPG (120.71 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

Todays empties, ready for tumbling and feeding to the Dillon
IMG_2300.JPG
Empties
IMG_2300.JPG (277.48 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

@Sandgroperbill...Pity you're not in Sydney as I'd take you out to the range, let you shoot all the pistols and decide what you like for yourself. The .357 1911 Sig is awesome and would be my choice for an open sight pistol as it'll do it all though sourcing brass can be a problem, I cleaned out 2 shops of their entire stock and none due till June now. Budget permitting and if 9mm is your thing then the Walther PPQ Q5 has the edge over the Glock or M9A3 but it's twice the cost of a Glock 17 G4 but not quite twice the pistol.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Thoughts on 4 pistols

Post by GLS_1956 » 16 May 2016, 7:45 am

I've never cared for Berretta's M92/M9 9mms. Not only is the trigger "sloppy" I just can't accept the trigger bar/ sear release being on the outside of the gun. I'll stick with the Browning Hi-Power. When it comes to the 1911 I have two of them, the first is a 30+ year old Colt Series 70 that has eaten a lot of rounds and has had a bit of work done on her, but nothing extensive. The second is a Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced, darn fine gun. I looked at SIGs, Taurus' and Rugers and the Remington came home. The 357 niche is filled by a Colt Python, she's filled that place for almost 30 years.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 16 May 2016, 9:23 am

looks like lots of fun i like the 686 i have read only good things about them.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 16 May 2016, 10:22 am

That looks good to me. I don't practice handgun for precision, just for putting shots in the boiler room. I usually don't shoot past 7m, but sometimes I end up shooting 100m just for fun. I'll hit you that far, but only if you are standing up and stand still after I miss you with the first round LOL :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 May 2016, 4:43 pm

Thanks for the read, Brett. My biggest problem is finding a club nearby that allows several disciplines. There is a club that covers archery, pistol, rifle and shotgun as well as western action, so would have all my interests covered, except it's 2 hours and a couple of hundred Ks away. I would love to actually get a day to try all manner of different pistols to find one that fits me, but first I need to get 6 months membership under the belt...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 May 2016, 5:04 pm

So whatya got there Brett, 22LR, 357Mag, 9mmL, and is the 1911 Sig in 357Sig??

Too confusing....after about 50 rounds I'd be cramming 9mm rounds into the Rimfire magazines :lol:

For me, a couple of 45 1911, and a couple of 45 Auto revolvers :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 16 May 2016, 8:31 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So whatya got there Brett, 22LR, 357Mag, 9mmL, and is the 1911 Sig in 357Sig??

Too confusing....after about 50 rounds I'd be cramming 9mm rounds into the Rimfire magazines :lol:

For me, a couple of 45 1911, and a couple of 45 Auto revolvers :thumbsup:

The Beretta & Walther are both 9mm, the 686 obviously 357 Mag. The odd man out is the Sig, take a 40 S&W and neck it to .357 which gives you a bottle neck case. Power is more then a 38Spl and similar to a 357 firing 125gr projectiles but in a semi auto frame. I've got a pair of 45's waiting on paperwork, a Korth PRS and a Kimber TLE RLII and looking forward to the first shots in coming weeks. I like my pistols how I like my rifles, over powered and over priced :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 May 2016, 8:38 pm

The sig does look good, and have a good name for reliability.

Sounds like the walther is definitely worth considering. I like the look of the steyr l9-a1 and the fn still intrigues me, though ammo would be a serious issue...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 16 May 2016, 9:13 pm

Check out the CZ 75 SP-01 range as well, I don't own one but I've shot 2 that friends have and they are very nice. My only gripe with them was I didn't like the trigger as it's so good that I'd fire 2 shots when I meant to fire 1. The pistol is great, it's my trigger control that sucked on this particular pistol though I'm sure with more use I'd get it under control.
Next weekend I'll head back out to the range and repeat the same exercise with another 4 pistols, good excuse to do more shooting :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 16 May 2016, 10:47 pm

Besides your top end factory standard competition pistols, not much out there compares to the SP1. However i did an IDPA shoot with the Tanfaglio limited custom extreme and then did the same shoot with the CZ Shadow 2. While the Tan is great and amazing to shoot, the 2 was just that much better.
20 guys shot it and every single one of us agreed that this is going to be the next world champ winner in IDPA and IPSC. It really and truly is that good.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 17 May 2016, 10:36 am

I was super keen on getting another Sig Sauer pistol. Currently have an X6 and REALLY wanted the Match Elite. Probem being is that I've been told that the arms embargo still in place on Sig in Germany, sourcing this particular model (and spare parts) was like getting a Unicorn to run in the Melbourne Cup....

So, decided to order a Tanfog Limited Custome Xtreme instead. Looked at STI's, but, when you compare the features and costs, the Tanfog looks a better option.

Seems as though some pistol manufacturers are getting a hammering. Its near impossible to get a H&K Elite (these are insanely accurate) and as for spare parts on H&K, who knows...?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 17 May 2016, 11:10 am

I've only got 3 handguns unless you count my M11/9 SMG. But I have .22 kits for two of them. I have:

Glock 19
S&W 15 .38
Colt 1903

Need to get a magnum for defense in the woods when I don't have a rifle handy. The Glock has been serving that purpose, but I could use a bit more if that moment comes.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers