Importing a handgun trigger from the US

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Importing a handgun trigger from the US

Post by Hollywood » 24 May 2016, 2:12 am

Has anyone imported handgun parts before? I'm considering importing a new trigger, not for price reasons, just because they're bloody hard to get in Australia!

I'm aware of the B709D form that is required from QLD Weapons Licencing but assuming that gets approved what happens then? I can have a mate purchase the trigger in the US and post it to me but do I need to send him the form prior to him posting it, I gather he'll have to declare the package as 'gun parts' or something similar to keep it all legal.

Any advice?
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Importing a handgun trigger from the US

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Jun 2016, 5:50 pm

Be careful, firearm parts are subject to BATFE control in the U.S. An export permit is required to export certain firearm parts out of the U.S. Anything to do with the firing mechanism is usually in this group as are barrels and brass. (they weren't if the weren't chambered but that has now changed.) A permit costs $250 U.S minimum plus taxes. Don't know about Qld , but here in N.S.W firearm parts have to be sent to a licenced dealer/gunsmith. Things like sights/scopes, reloading and accessories are usually exempt from controls. Unless it's a leupold, personal imports have been canned courtesy of the Aus importer. Hope this helps.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

As above, bringing just the 1 in is cost prohibitive on an item under a few grand. What pistol and what part? there's a few places that are not widely known that may have it. I found an extended slide release and tool less guide rod for my STi at the shotshow from a company in Brisbane I've never heard of.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 12 Jul 2016, 11:39 am

$250 export fee? :wtf:

Shipping in general from the US is the biggest cluster f***.

They want a way to solve their financial trouble, make it so consumers in other countries can/will buy from them.

There's a billion of us and their stupid shipping rates and permits stop us all doing it.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warner520 » 18 Dec 2016, 4:57 pm

If you get a B709D from QLD WLB ABF will release the part to you.
If the part is over $1000 au you will have to fill out clearance paper work and paid import fees.
Like the other guys stated some parts need export permits to be able to get them out of USA.
If your mate wants to post it and take a punt at getting it out without export document it is not your worry.
As long as you have the B709D for it here when it arrives.

If you want to play by the USA book you would have to fill out DSP83 & purchase order and pay for some one in USA to state department export permit $250 USA.
Warner520
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by oldmateadz » 21 Dec 2016, 1:52 pm

Might work out cheaper and easier if you got your local firearms dealer to order it in for you?
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hollywood » 02 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

Someone suggested I try Brownells Australian website. They showed the Apex trigger I was after and for exactly the same price as it is listed on the Apex website in the US! So I ordered one and it arrived on my doorstep three weeks later! Very happy with that service.

Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Sender » 03 Jan 2017, 8:41 am

Nice looking bit of kit :thumbsup:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 03 Jan 2017, 9:10 pm

Hollywood wrote:Someone suggested I try Brownells Australian website. They showed the Apex trigger I was after and for exactly the same price as it is listed on the Apex website in the US! So I ordered one and it arrived on my doorstep three weeks later! Very happy with that service.

How is the apex. I forgot to track back to ask after I mentioned brownells. I was also curious as I had been thinking about a m&p myself with apex. Debating that or a h&k vp9
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hollywood » 03 Jan 2017, 10:04 pm

Very happy with the Apex trigger. It's not lighter, in fact it may be a fraction heavier, but it is so much crisper and more predictable than the standard trigger. I had to adjust the trigger bar slightly but it's an easy installation.

Overall I'm very happy with the M&P. I've just ticked over 5000rds through it since I bought it in January last year and other than some issues with my reloads it's been flawless.
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wheedle » 15 Feb 2017, 12:48 pm

Hollywood wrote:It's not lighter, in fact it may be a fraction heavier, but it is so much crisper and more predictable than the standard trigger.

I reckon that's more important too.

A feather weight trigger is still annoying if it isn't responsive.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers