FN Five-seveN 'friendly' pistol clubs in QLD?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

FN Five-seveN 'friendly' pistol clubs in QLD?

Post by andreweden » 25 Jun 2016, 11:59 pm

Does anyone know any SE QLD pistol clubs that allow the use of the FN Five-seveN and its 5.7x28mm?

ICPC doesn't on the basis of muzzle velocity.
Belmont doesn't because "it is armour piercing and goes through cars". :allegedly:

Not looking to argue against any club that doesn't - just looking for one that does and will let me get a PTA for one so I can use it alongside my Sig P226.

Just for sake of comparison.
5.7x28mm 40gr bullet, muzzle velocity 1650 fps, energy 243 ft-lbs.
9x19mm 124gr bullet, muzzle velocity 1120 fps, energy 345 ft-lbs.
.22LR 36gr bullet, muzzle velocity 1260 fps, energy 127 ft-lbs.

Cheers,

Andrew
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: FN Five-seveN 'friendly' pistol clubs in QLD?

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 Jun 2016, 3:32 am

One of our club member has one of these guns, and the P-90 carbine to go with it. With the FMJ both handgun and carbine dent 3/8 inch thick mild steel plates at 25 yards for the handgun and 50 yards carbine. Earthen banks/berms stops them both.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by yoshie » 27 Jun 2016, 10:03 am

What match do you plan to shoot it at?
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Jun 2016, 10:32 am

yep, new tech high velocity armour defeating rapid fire terrorist round....

Basically a 22 Mag...
With dangerouserer bullets....with the added fanfare and hoopla...a quarter the energy of the 22Rem, twice the energy of the pipsqeak 22LR...

Didnt go far marketing wise?? I recall a 4.6 or something around that was also released somewhere??

Anyway, I understand the 'something different' argument, but from a target shooting perspective what benefit do you see?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by andreweden » 27 Jun 2016, 1:38 pm

yoshie wrote:What match do you plan to shoot it at?

It appears to fit within the rules of both Practical and Metallic silhouette.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 27 Jun 2016, 2:13 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:yep, new tech high velocity armour defeating rapid fire terrorist round....

Didnt go far marketing wise?? I recall a 4.6 or something around that was also released somewhere??

Anyway, I understand the 'something different' argument, but from a target shooting perspective what benefit do you see?

1. except the civilian version of the round ISN'T. There is a faster round (about 2300 fps I think), but you can't buy it.

2. HK made the 4.6x30mm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP7 I think both were in response to a UN request for something to replace 9x19mm.

3. its something different, not a lot else. Keen to try it for myself, supposed to be low recoil, flat and accurate albeit apparently quite noisy.

Like I said, not trying to convince any range that doesn't allow it to change their mind, just after one that does.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 27 Jun 2016, 7:46 pm

Hillcrest has had 500 S&W and thats rated higher. Can always call and ask or I can find out when I am down there next.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 27 Jun 2016, 11:59 pm

Cryptic wrote:Hillcrest has had 500 S&W and thats rated higher. Can always call and ask or I can find out when I am down there next.

that would be great.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Jun 2016, 8:32 am

andreweden wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:yep, new tech high velocity armour defeating rapid fire terrorist round....

1. except the civilian version of the round ISN'T. There is a faster round (about 2300 fps I think), but you can't buy it.

2. HK made the 4.6x30mm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP7 I think both were in response to a UN request for something to replace 9x19mm.

3. its something different, not a lot else. Keen to try it for myself, supposed to be low recoil, flat and accurate albeit apparently quite noisy.

Like I said, not trying to convince any range that doesn't allow it to change their mind, just after one that does.

Sorry mate, I'm not sure why you went all numbered bullet pointy on me :) :unknown: just opining on your info....

AFAIC, something that has ballistics similar to a common rimfire, but with the added benefit of hard? to find and probably highly surveilled commercial ammo, like 25ACP....and no doubt several times more expensive than the rimfire.....

Anyhoo, give it a go :thumbsup:

I believe the 'peoples army' is or has moved from .22 to a sub calibre round as well, something like the 4.6mm.... :thumbsup:

:welcome:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Cryptic » 02 Jul 2016, 11:40 pm

No go at Hillcrest. Talked to RO today soon as saw the actual round in a picture he shut it down and said no chance.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Jul 2016, 7:43 am

Cryptic wrote:No go at Hillcrest. Talked to RO today soon as saw the actual round in a picture he shut it down and said no chance.

SO he based his call on knowledge experience and reality then..... not

PhotoShop the picture pink and show him again.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Cryptic » 03 Jul 2016, 7:19 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Cryptic wrote:No go at Hillcrest. Talked to RO today soon as saw the actual round in a picture he shut it down and said no chance.

Lol dont think pink will work.
I tried reasoning with him that the velocity was under a 500s&w or 460 and projectile weight is around a 22 but soon as he saw shape he said no and started mentioning range backdrop and richochet etc so I left it at that.
Can use rifles in pistol cal though which im sure a hot 357 or 44 magnum load in rifle would push harder than the five seven.
Seems the five seven is doomed by its reputation for you.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 04 Jul 2016, 10:42 am

Cryptic wrote:Talked to RO today soon as saw the actual round in a picture he shut it down and said no chance.

That's a joke.

I'd ask a few others without the scary picture, that's BS.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Jul 2016, 1:48 pm

Cryptic wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

I tried reasoning with him that the velocity was under a 500s&w or 460 and projectile weight is around a 22 but soon as he saw shape he said no and started mentioning range backdrop and richochet etc so I left it at that.
Can use rifles in pistol cal though which im sure a hot 357 or 44 magnum load in rifle would push harder than the five seven.

You cant blame the fella for not being aware of 'newish' things, I guess he's just taking the safe road, as expected on a range..... now, if you want to shoot the round there - you'll need to educate, probably those who have the call, who manage the range.. explain with a bit of info, that the ballistics of the round, or any other round are with / well within the range of other common projectiles sent downrange.

Common pistol loads with a few rifle round for comparison, 5.7x28 comes in at 44,45,46 & 50...... in the realm of the 38Spl. I dont think the AP military load with steel core is available to civilians.... so we should all be safe..

Edit to add rimfire loads...
Note: centrefire are ADI max loads, rimfire are guesstimated powder loads, stated velocities. :thumbsup:
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 04 Jul 2016, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Cryptic » 04 Jul 2016, 4:47 pm

The RO is the range manager so was his call, it's only a small 25m indoor range and they are going through enough now getting a gallery set up and approval for higher calibre competitions on scaled down reactive targets. If Andrew wants he can call them try to explain I can PM the number.
I just showed him the pic from Wiki and told him the velocity details from here and the projectile weight comparisons.
I know he said Belmont shut him down but maybe try Ripley.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 06 Aug 2016, 1:05 pm

Cryptic wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

This is a common theme. Like I said at the top - not looking to get in a barney with anyone over it, at the end of the day, its their range.
Thanks for asking though. Lets not let real physics get in the way of a good story about armour piercing magic super bullets that someone heard somewhere ;-)
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 06 Aug 2016, 1:14 pm

Cryptic wrote:The RO is the range manager so was his call, it's only a small 25m indoor range and they are going through enough now getting a gallery set up and approval for higher calibre competitions on scaled down reactive targets. If Andrew wants he can call them try to explain I can PM the number.
I just showed him the pic from Wiki and told him the velocity details from here and the projectile weight comparisons.
I know he said Belmont shut him down but maybe try Ripley.

Ripley is close by. I was going to have a chat to them next time I was out there with my rifle and see what they say.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warner520 » 18 Dec 2016, 4:46 pm

Try QMRC in Brisbane , you should able to use your 5..7 FN there.
There are in the Belmont shooting complex
http://www.qmrc.org/
Warner520
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 19 Dec 2016, 1:49 am

Warner520 wrote:Try QMRC in Brisbane , you should able to use your 5..7 FN there.
There are in the Belmont shooting complex
http://www.qmrc.org/

Thanks. Will give them a call.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PanopticEmu » 29 May 2018, 11:53 am

somebody said pink?

yes, I know it's a p-90 and not a FiveseveN, but it's developed by the same mob, and uses the same round. They were both developed on the request of NATO, and designed to be used in conjunction with each other.
PanopticEmu
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chinballs » 30 May 2018, 4:07 pm

Hillcrest probably has similar restrictions on their range approval as the club I shoot at (pistol club, allow pistol calibre rifles, 25m indoor in SEQ). Our range approval is something like 1700ft/s for rimfire and ~1300ft/s for centerfire. Even the American Eagle 5.7x28 ammo runs around 1600ft/s which is above our range approval limit.

5.7x28 is simply too fast for a lot of range approvals and getting a range approval modified is hard work, especially for one or two people who would possibly benefit.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers